Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Flow-Rite Profill RV-2000 Experiences?

i saw this battery filling device at the RV dealer. Its made especially for golf cart batteries and is sold in pairs. The device replaces the battery caps and provides a central point for adding distilled water to the cells. Each cell has an automatic shutoff to prevent over filling.

Does anyone have any experience with these devices? They are less than $50 per pair at Amazon, and I think I would really like the overfill prevention feature.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
We have these and it's probably one of the best values out there for RVers. It makes filling your batteries easy and you don't even have to pull the tray out to get to them - just hook up the hose. I bought two sets and connected them so that I can do my four batteries at the same time. Be sure to buy the hand pump also as you definitely need that too. I put mineral oil in the batteries when I installed the system and it eliminated gas escaping in corroding things in the battery compartment as well as decreasing the amount of fluid that escapes the cells. You can't go wrong with this product.
Happy Trails

kirk7678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #3

Absolutely super. When we used wet cell batteries, these were the first thing I installed. Not only does it allow filling without the usual turkey baster in one hand, flashlight in the second and mirror in the third.....or ..er? The unit also seals the battery tops so the outgassing doesn't corrode the areas around the batteries. Since we now use Lifeline AGM's we no longer use these.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Works very good, easy to keep the level up especially if your batteries are hard to get at.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

Personally, I don't see the advantage to spending money on this gizmo to do something that takes me a couple of minutes to do once a year or so. The big thing is to check the Converter Output Voltage and make sure your battery voltage does not exceed 13.7 VDC. After adding mineral oil to the cells, my battery maintenance is minimal.
Caution Note:
If you are going to purchase one of these, make sure it is compatable with your batteries. They Do Not work on all makes.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I've used it for the past three seasons. I recently encountered something that I wasn't anticipating.

I went to water the batteries and couldn't get it to take any water. Closer inspection revealed that the female end of the filler hose would not accept the male end. The male end has a plunger on it that allows water to go into the batteries when depressed. It also has to depress to fit in the female connector properly. That plunger was immovable on mine. I had a spare, so I swapped it out and all is good.

I don't know for certain this happened, but it appeared to me that water in the filler hose had frozen, expanded, and destroyed the functionality of the plunger.

That caused me to wonder, is the water in the hose system that's not in the battery able to freeze? I subsequently removed the filler hose, drained it, and put it back on the battery bank.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 PM   #7

I don't know for certain this happened, but it appeared to me that water in the filler hose had frozen, expanded, and destroyed the functionality of the plunger.

That caused me to wonder, is the water in the hose system that's not in the battery able to freeze? I subsequently removed the filler hose, drained it, and put it back on the battery bank.[/QUOTE]

As I said, more trouble than its worth.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #8

My batteries are not on a tray and are therefore a challenge to check and fill. These work great. Check Amazon for pricing.
Don't forget the pump.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #9

I am with you Dennis45, added 3 oz mineral oil to each cell and check every 3 months.
The mineral oil will do more to last the batteries longer and let less harmful gas escape to damage the battery box. Owners should inspect the batteries and the battery box and connections on a regular basis and checking the water level is a good time to do all of this.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you would need to take some of the water out of each cell to add the 3 oz's of mineral oil,hows the best way to do that.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
ProjectPro.......I put this watering system on my last coach and ordered it for my new coach before we even took delivery.

I can't believe someone calling this system a gizmo or gimmick....I guess if you enjoy pulling all of your battery caps, fighting around the cables and looking into each hole to see how much water they need, plus fiddling with trying to get the right amount of water in them effortless, then they must also like root canals.

I'll also call bull on anyone who says they only check their batteries once a year. I'm sure that is true if you park the coach with everything turned off for a year. We use our coach all the time, I have a DRY, ACID FREE, battery bay with my Magnum Inverter/Charger set correctly, and my 6 batteries need water every couple of months.

I would also challenge anyone to take a couple of minutes to remove 12-18 battery caps (4-6 six volt batteries), inspect and fill with water, but I can with my ProFill water system. I keep a quart of distilled water in the battery bay and I just connect the bulb to the hose and stick the hose in the distilled water. About three squeezes and I'm done.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sure looks like money well spent to me
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Absolutely love it.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Pro-Fill system and I love it. Besides the convenience of filling all batteries at once, it virtually eliminates battery terminal and cable corrosion. My RV is always plugged in, so I top off the batteries once a month.

As far as adding mineral oil is concerned, I have never done this as I don't know of a single battery manufacturer that recommends it. There was also a recent write up in MH magazine, warning readers against doing this.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote