Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2008, 03:56 AM   #1

I just upgraded to a diesel motorhome. I have a VISA and a Flying J RV Master Card and I can carry cash. Which payment option will result in the lowest fuel cost? Must I pre-pay to get the best deal? Do the truck or RV island have the same prices,discount and payment policies?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 03:56 AM   #2

I just upgraded to a diesel motorhome. I have a VISA and a Flying J RV Master Card and I can carry cash. Which payment option will result in the lowest fuel cost? Must I pre-pay to get the best deal? Do the truck or RV island have the same prices,discount and payment policies?

Old 11-18-2008, 04:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Flying J no longer accepts Visa if you use the truck lanes to fuel. If you use your Flying J Mastercard, you will get the cash price reguardless of which lanes you use. You will also need a Flying J card to accumulate the points for purchases to get the fuel discount. If you are new to diesels, the truck lanes have a larger fuel nozzle and it makes it much easier to fuel and also alot more room to manuever your coach. Some of the RV lanes get very tight.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Parker, welcome to iRV2.

I've always used the truck pumps and if you use the Flying J RV Real Value card along with the Flying J RV Master Card you will get the lowest price.

At the truck pumps, swipe the RV card first, then the credit card.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:01 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
In Arizona truck lanes have higher taxes on then remember to ask for it back when you go to fuel desk. I think it 6 or 8 cents a gallon.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #6

I am beginning to understand--I think. Forget the VISA. But---Whats this about two cards? I have a Flying J Real Value Plus Mastercard that I received last week.To receive the best discount on diesel fuel do I need another credit card also?

There are no Flying J stations near home. So I will not be able to purchase much, if anything, from their store. I just need to be able to pull into the correct island and use the credit card (or cash) that will give me the lowest price without having to go inside and spend money first.

Thanks for leading me thru this.

Parker
Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The second card is the Flying J Real Valve Card that you can get at any Flying J. It is the same as the card you get from the grocery stores.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:56 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, you only need the Flying J Master Card. That will get you the cash price and a discount. That is as good as it gets for RVers, I believe. Prepaying cash at Flying J won't help.

Now, just about every place else, cash is the best deal. We've found, however, that Flying J is often a few cents cheaper than the best cash price at Loves, TA and Pilot (who seems to be the highest just about everywhere) If you want to see for yourself, all of those places have websites and you can compare diesel prices in the same towns. As the others have told you, in some States, the truck lanes have a higher price. Additionally, Flying Js at least have RV lanes though some are tight. We found in NJ at a Pilot, there was no diesel anywhere but in the truck lanes. I guess it varies, State to State, town to town.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:58 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Parker,
Welcome to iRV2. This can get a little more complicated than it should be. There is the lowest price at the pump and then there is the lowest price to you, after all discounts are included.

You'll need to contact the J, go here to understand if the J Master Card is automatically a RV Real Value card too.

The RV Real Value card is for those of us who do not have the J Master Card. We swipe the RV Value card first (it unlocks the pump, saving a trip into the cashier) and then follow the instructions on the screen.

What one needs to consider is the bottom line price. For me, I consider the following:
1. RV Real Value Card provides whatever discount I am entitled to based on purchases in the store.
2. My credit card provides a discount on fuel (5%). I make mention of this so you can consider if the J CC is a better deal than you can get from another CC company. The J card provides the cash price vs my CC that provides 5% off the total price. For me, my CC is a better deal than the J CC. Each person needs to determine what is best for them.

3. Lastly, the cash price is available, regardless of payment choice, at the RV pumps. The cash price is available at the truck pumps only by paying cash, check, or using the J CC.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:56 PM   #10

Gary, Thanks for the explanation!! My MADP has a 175 gallon tank so price is important. I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me.