Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageksl View Post
I've wondered about why there is a $75 cut off for a while. There are several different things that I can think of. One is they get a signature to the charge slip and another is they now have you, or someone, on video signing for the fuel. The final thing is they get a pre-approval for the $75 purchase. As you said, both are to lessen risks of credit card fraud. A lot of thieves prefer to swipe a credit card and disappear than to come inside face to face.

It really depends upon the station. We fueled up in the RV lanes of the FlyingJ at Winchester, VA in September. Swiped my VISA card at the pump, but it cut off at $75. Swiped it again and again it cut off at $75. Swiped it a third time and finished filling (about $4 worth). Never went inside.

sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Pilot/Flying J needs to get with the fact RVers are not thieves. The current process for fueling at the truck lanes is based on Pilot wanting to get paid. It is obvious too many truck drivers will steal fuel any chance they get.
What exactly is it that makes it so obvious to you that a truck driver is a thief? I'm appalled by your blanket statement.

I might be new here, I just bought a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40' and I also happen to own my own 2003 Peterbilt OTR tractor. I am not a thief nor have I ever thought of stealing fuel. I'm guessing you are probably the same type of individual that would class all truck drivers as scum. Hopefully "my type" are allowed at this R/V forum.

As far as getting fuel at a Flyin J, I won't go there. I do put my fuel on a C/C and can't stand the fact that they charge anywhere from 5 to 9 cents more per gallon. I'm also quite suprised to read in this thread that they give an RV'r the discount with the use of a C/C. They would never give the discount to a truck driver.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:10 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Seems the main point of contention here is the RV discount. If the station says you need to use the RV lane to get the RV discount I think that would be their perogative to do so?

I fuel-up at the trucker lanes and don't take the discount. We don't drive enough to make it a major difference to us. We are also (always) courteous to the truck-drivers and pull forward before we pay (so the trucker behind us can get to work fueling) and usually chat w/ them about road conditons and such. I've always found the trucker stops to be great & enjoy the wide space as well as the truckers we meet there.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
What exactly is it that makes it so obvious to you that a truck driver is a thief? I'm appalled by your blanket statement.

I might be new here, I just bought a 2003 Fleetwood Revolution 40' and I also happen to own my own 2003 Peterbilt OTR tractor. I am not a thief nor have I ever thought of stealing fuel. I'm guessing you are probably the same type of individual that would class all truck drivers as scum. Hopefully "my type" are allowed at this R/V forum.

As far as getting fuel at a Flyin J, I won't go there. I do put my fuel on a C/C and can't stand the fact that they charge anywhere from 5 to 9 cents more per gallon. I'm also quite suprised to read in this thread that they give an RV'r the discount with the use of a C/C. They would never give the discount to a truck driver.
Ranger 429 . People here are entitled to their opinions. There are rules and our moderators do a good job of deleting things that are against those rules. You are entitled to post your opinion which you so eloquently did. Don't let it get to you. There is much more good than bad to this forum. Enjoy and come back and post often.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Ranger429;755544]What exactly is it that makes it so obvious to you that a truck driver is a thief? I'm appalled by your blanket statement.

Ranger429.....You sure are welcome here. As has been stated before, everyone is welcome here. You will see some great stuff as well as off the wall stuff. But for getting advice on how to fix something or any other questions relating to RV's, this is the best site you can find. I hope you enjoy your RV as much as we do ours, we love traveling.
I do have a question about CB's. Do you have any idea why the CB is not used as much any more ? I have seen cops roaring up and down the Highway and not a peep out of the CB. I know the cell phone has caused some change but not for road information. Just wondering.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #20

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We've come to the conclusion that we just can't understand why everyone is talking about Flying J? They have poorly designed parking lots, terrible fuel lanes for RV's. In fact, that's a joke. Put the motor coaches in the same area as the sports cars? Yeh, that'll work real smooth.

The service is terrible. Our last trip, we used Flying J only twice. Each time was very frustrating. It took us over two hours to fill up the diesel tank, and the propane tank. The guy that filled the propane didn't know how to do it. I had to show him how. He didn't know how to tighten the relief valve. I got my vise grips out and did it myself. What a way to waste a day!

The discount is a joke. The bottom line is it costs the same amount for fuel practically anywhere we stop to fill up. We find a lack of consistency in the knowledge of staff among all the Flying J's. I often think that most of their staff do not understand their discount programs. Most Flying J's tell me that once I've bought $300.00 of fuel, there's no more discounts on fuel purchases. Uuuuh, that'll run me about two days. What about the rest of the month?

We use the truck lanes anywhere we fill up. Our only complaint is that in most truck lanes, there is usually a lot of oil/fuel spillage on the ground. You have to be very careful getting back in that you don't track in something really bad.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Jimkate
I think the relief valve on your propane tank is to be closed by hand, no pliers to be used.
I do agree on the mess at the truck diesel islands.
Happy trails
Rebel
Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ranger429,

Welcome to iRV2. Several things are the basis of my statement.

1. Personal experience. I have seen truckers steel fuel from the next truck lane. If caught a fight breaks out. This on more than one occasion and over a good length of time. Some fuel stops had to install different kinds of barriers between the islands to stop this from happening. Some fuel stops installed a light on the master pump telling the driver the satellite pump is in operation. Does anyone think the fuel stops went to this expense for no good reason?

2. Talking with truck stop managers. I inquire as to why there is a different process to buy diesel fuel at the truck pumps than the same fuel from a pump located where the general public patronizes the business. Their answers are all the same. Truck drivers steel a lot of fuel and the process must be tight to minimize losses. The fuel stop wants to ensure they have a picture ID and approved payment method before opening the pump.

3. The process itself. For me to buy diesel at a truck pump is a PITA. If I could make the purchase at the general public pumps, I would do it. The process is different depending on the company. Give a driver's license or a driver's license and a payment method. Know how much fuel one needs and they will run the payment method before turning on the pump. Provide a driver's license, payment method and they will still run the estimated amount through the cc company before opening the pump. Provide a variation of the previously mentioned items and still need to provide license plate number. This process cost the fuel stop $s to staff and audit. If they could sell diesel at the truck lanes like they do at the general public lanes, they would do it in a heart beat. Does anyone think the fuel stop creates these processes for fun or just to irritate their customers?

The strict and PITA process is there because over time the fuel stops have found it to be necessary. The processes were created because the behavior of the average OTR driver required it.

4. Two trips (minimum) into the store to start and complete the transaction.

I envy those who can safely get their fuel at the J RV islands (I use the J only as an example). No trips into the store (if one has enough CCs to fill up at $75 increments). One gets their receipt right at the pump. There is also a discount provided if one has the right loyalty card. None of this is available at the truck diesel pumps.

I've been driving coaches since 1978. The balance of me helping OTR drivers versus them helping me is weighted much in my favor. Take my statement at the macro level. Of course not all OTR drivers are thieves. However, the processes created to minimize fuel stop loses speaks for itself.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 40 ' plus A chev.Tow I pull into the truck lane Go in give the casher my CC tell her/him to atavate the pump; I have yet to have any problem I'm 71 years old No problems. Even taking 125 gallons I have never asked for a discount If I get it thats nice If I don't I'm not going to start a Fuss ;; Over a Neeslie $3.00 I hear those storie about some guy that owns a $500.000.00 doller rig and he gets upset over a 2 cents pergallon discount, I say thats plain sick, Life is good;;
Old 12-19-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Evidently I've been using different truck stops over the years, I always thought the satellite light on was for my benefit in that I would not forget to hang the second hose up before I walked into pay for my fuel purchases and would have to walk out one more time to shut the satellite off and rehang the hose. Who would of thought it was to keep the driver next door from stealing my fuel! Stupid me
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #25

Quote:

Being a trucker myself Ranger I am also appalled by that blanket statement.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post

Ranger:

As far as I'm concerned you are as welcome here as anyone. Glad to get a perspective from a professional driver.

My own experience is that most of the drivers at the truck lines are pretty decent people, many of whom have chatted with me while we were fueling. On more than one occasion I was given some very helpful advice.

At my second or third fueling stop after getting my new-to-me coach in 2007 the driver at the next aisle told me about the pocket sized truck fueling directory. He showed me his and when I went to the fuel desk I stopped on the way and picked one up.

Drivers are like anyone else - the good, the bad, (and the ugly ). I've parked in the back overnight with the OTR rigs and up front in the RV spaces at FJs. I've been ignored by some, received a few scowls from some, and been invited to join a table in the restaurant by some.

We all share the road. I like it like that.

Enjoy your holidays,
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I don't care about the discount but do care about getting the cash price on a credit card sale in the truck lanes. That's typically 6 cents or more and is the same price as is offered to the general public at the car/RV islands. And since the discount is only on the first $300 (one fill-up for me), it doesn't make much difference anyway.

In my experience the commercial truck drivers don't seem much different than the population at large. Several have been friendly and helpful to me, a very few have been surly and the majority just go about their business while I go about mine. While we wait in line at the cashier, we chat like anybody else and nobody seems to care if I'm driving a motorhome instead of a semi. And I doubt if there are any more thieves among them than any other group.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I do have a question about CB's. Do you have any idea why the CB is not used as much any more ? I have seen cops roaring up and down the Highway and not a peep out of the CB. I know the cell phone has caused some change but not for road information. Just wondering.
I think a lot of it entails all the new electronics in the OTR trucks, between satellite radio, cell phones and just the mere fact of the new breed of drivers that are on the road the CB (and trucking in general) is not what it used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Ranger429,

Welcome to iRV2. Several things are the basis of my statement.

4. Two trips (minimum) into the store to start and complete the transaction.
First off thanks for the welcome, and to everyone else that welcomed me thank you.

Gary, not every truck driver is a thief. Remember there are bad apples every where. Though I don't have any facts I'd be most certain somewhere there was an RV'r that drove off without paying for fuel.

#4 is a prime reason I don't bother to go to the big Travel plaza's anymore. I would much rather go to a Mom and Pop truck stop and give them my business. Making mutliple trips in the store and waiting in line for who knows how long at a Flyin J is utterly ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
Over a Neeslie $3.00 I hear those storie about some guy that owns a $500.000.00 doller rig and he gets upset over a 2 cents pergallon discount, I say thats plain sick, Life is good;;
When you start putting 300 gallons of fuel or more in per week then that 6 cent savings per gallon definetly adds up. I don't know of any major truck stop that is only charging 2 cents more per gallon for a C/C purchase. On average it is 6 cents and I have seen it as high as 9 cents per gallon. I also haven't seen many 500K OTR trucks running down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Being a trucker myself Ranger I am also appalled by that blanket statement.
Thanks. I was hoping it just wasn't me that saw it that way.