Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stopping at a flying J is now a mute point now that they have priced themselves out of the market HOWEVER, I always used to use the RV lanes because it was cheaper because of the road tax applied in the truck lanes. I also use cash for the cash discount and get my 3 cents a gallon RV discount. It all might seem like chump change but I also stop to pick a penny that is on the ground.
It's to bad I have missed all that mayhem in the truck lanes. I guess I'll wander over there the next time to catch the show.
Ranger429 Thats what I figured with the CB. Your right about all the changes out there. When I would drive all night there were always someone to talk to until the sun came up.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #30

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding RV's in the Truck lane......

Many states subscribe to the taxation theory of "Soak the businessman" and since truckers are businessmen they charge a higher tax on truck fuel than on auto/RV fuel.. So you pay more in the truck lanes..

Just so you know.

I can't list all the states that do that but AZ is one.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:24 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
I was told by my father to buy gas at a station that does a lot of business and "turns thier gas over frequently". Wouldn't that apply to diesel also? That is why I try to buy at J's and Pilot's and I usually get between 80-120 gallons I like the large nozzles on the pumps and the ease of entry/exit of rv lanes.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
So far I haven't had a problem fueling in the truck lanes. I pull up, go inside and they either turn on the pump or I give a cash estimate. When through, I pull forward, then go inside to settle up. Always get the "cash" discount this way, have even used my discover card and got my cash estimate back.

I'll never again use the so called "RV" lanes. Last time was in Farmington, NM, wasn't enough room for my 40' mh and toad to get out of there, ended up making several people mad. Never again.

Now I mostly use either Wally World (if they have diesel) or a large convenience store. Most convenience store will turn on the pump for you and let you settle up after your done, they are HAPPY to see you pump 125+ gallons at a time!

Kerry B
BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #33
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I was told by my father to buy gas at a station that does a lot of business and "turns thier gas over frequently". Wouldn't that apply to diesel also? That is why I try to buy at J's and Pilot's and I usually get between 80-120 gallons I like the large nozzles on the pumps and the ease of entry/exit of rv lanes.
That's even more true when applied to buying diesel fuel, same as don't buy any type of fuel if you see a delivery truck dumping fuel into the underground tanks be cause of the sediment it kicks up in the tank which takes a long time to resettle.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
As I previsley posted ; We do extensive travel; I pull in to the truck island Go inside give them my Credit card, And tell to start the Pump.. I have never had any problem. Altho Several attendents Have told me about The motorhome poeple tying up an island a long time and taking just a little fuel Compared to the trucks that take up to 500 gallons;; Oh The service station HAS NOTHING to do with the card shout off; Mine would do that; then I called the Credit card and they raised it to $250.00; Limet. It's a credit card thing.. Remember they are there to serve us. They must be treated with respect; By going in and telling them what you want/think. it will not get you any respest at all. and they would preferre you not to come back;; I have worked there I seen it first hand. We even barred some loud mouth from comming back to our station.. you see it's a free country.. Life is good..
Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
When you start putting 300 gallons of fuel or more in per week then that 6 cent savings per gallon definetly adds up.
Yes it does.. Here is a HINT for those who "Gas up" at Wall-Mart/Murphy's

If you have an idea of how much you plan to spend (It really matters not if you guess high) you can go into the store and visit the customer service counter.. hand them an empty Wall-Mart gift card and cash.. They will "Fill" the card with the cash.

Stick the card in the pump and watch the price change.. 3 cents down

Use a Murphy's credit card and it's 4 cents down.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Recently stopped at the J at:
1. Georgia exit 29 on I95. Gas was 9 cents less than the other stations at the exit.

2. South Carolina I77 at exit 73. Gas at the J was 2 cents less than the station across the street.

The above is for gas. I did not have the coach and did not notice the diesel pricing. The pricing difference was what was posted on the street signs. It does not include the additional RV Value Card discount or CC cash rebates.

Maybe things are changing?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #37

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Personally I don't use a truck stop Flying J or Pilot as most of the ones I've been in are in horrible shape..I pulled my EXcursion PSD and 35' TT into one in Baker Or and wasn't sure if I was gonna be able to pull the TT outa the chuckhole in the driveway at the pumps. I have CFN and Pacific Pride cards and just got a letter that I can use them at Texaco and over 1500 or 2500 truckstops.
I like them as I can usually just pull in and do my fueling and leave and since a lot of them are cardlock,they are open 24/7.I have only found 1 that was a tad bit tight to get in and out of, but that was out of over 100 that I've used.
What I think is interesting is those of you that use your CC and expect the cash price..????? If the cash price is a significant enuff difference I'll hit the ATM and take out enuff cash to pay for it and there are a lot of those places that refund your ATM fee if you make a large enuff purchase..Also,I have found that if you can get into a service station as against a truck stop,the prices ARE usually less.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
What I think is interesting is those of you that use your CC and expect the cash price..????? If the cash price is a significant enuff difference I'll hit the ATM and take out enuff cash to pay for it
Well for me hitting a cash staion is out of the question. It's a little tough to pull in to the local bank or available cash station place in a semi with a 48' trailer. I also don't like to carry that much cash with me when I run the road.

When I go to Best Buy, Sam's club or any other retail store and make a large purchase I have never been hit with an increased price for putting it on a C/C.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:29 AM   #39

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I said that about the ATM,I have found that most truck stops and a lot of conveniece store/gas stations have them inside..

To enlarge on the part about the fueling cards,it was for the CFN that I got the letter and didn't include PP.
It says;
1.accepted at 8,500 Chevron and Texaco stations
2.CFN sites, access to all CFN cardlocks and retail locations
3.Fuelman sites, Any Fuelman location nationwide.
4.Truck stops, over the road convenience at most major truck stops and 2,500+ independant truck stops.

I don't have any interest in any of these two companioes,but I do know that they are very convenient to use.

bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote