Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also, we will buy some bottled water to drink as I will not have time to sanitize the water system untill I get her home, but it will serve it's purpose for washing etc. We will have Coach Net.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #16
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumbs up

watch out for the weather.... a MH freezing up is no FUN... Know how to handle cold weather.... Camping World will help you with winterizing, in case you need to ?

Enjoy the Motorhome
TW

TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Insurance card

Do not forget to take an insurance card for the new purchase.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:06 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just a comment---

We had many foreign visitors this past summer in Maine and rather than buying all new stuff for a month or so with rented rigs, some went to thrift shops and made a good deal on pots, pans, plates, silverwear, etc. You'll have plenty of time when you get home to buy color coordinated, more suitable ammenities.

Good luck on your new, to you, "DP"-
Old 11-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Insurance will be in place when we pick it up. We are driving back through Florida pan handle and then will stay on I-10 to Tucson, up to Phoenix and then on to Las Vegas. I don't think we will encounter too cold of temps, let me know if I'm wrong.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
My first coach, I purchased a 36 ft. 1992 Airstream towing a 1997 Saturn. It was a package deal. I drove 2000 miles from Kirksville, MO to Temecula, CA. I took clothes, and a sleeping bag as the flight from ST Louis to Kirksville was a puddle jumper and it wouldn't take a lot of baggage. Spent 1 1/2 days going through the coach and systems before heading out. It was early to mid November. Drove the interstate 40 to Flagstaff then South to Phoenix and the 10 to LA. I used the truck stops to take showers and fuel up, eat, use the internet, etc. I parked in church parking lots or Wal-Marts if they were close to the freeway and I always asked for their permission. They were much quieter than the truck stops. My trip was simply getting from point A to B as quickly as possible, except for staying at Sedona a while longer as it's one of my favorites. There, I stayed at a catholic church as the RV parks were full or too expensive or had a minimum length of stay. Since you will be using campgrounds, definitely take a meter to make sure the pedestal is wired properly before hooking up. Everything else, I would purchase in FL instead of carrying it except for your clothes. I think the only systems I used in the coach were the refer to keep some refreshments cold, the bathroom when I couldn't make to a rest stop, I made sure I had at least some water on board to flush the toilet and I also used the heater's as the morning's were rather chilly. I didn't want the water tank full as it added too much weight but took just enough for using the toilet. Congratulations and good luck!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wally World has a nice RV SECTION in the auto section of the store. They have hose's, toilet items including tank treatment as well as tissue. This will save you substantial savings over the RV store. You can also pickup a really good small tool assortment (Stanley) of good quality and real inexpensive. They also have the small MAG-LITE led flashlight @ areally good buy, get the 3 battery one, it's very bright. Have a safe trip and let us know how your trip is @ later post.
David G.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:31 PM   #22

We flew to Dallas to pick up our new to us 07 FR Georgetown, and drove it home to Fairbanks, Alaska in 6 Days. We took our GPS, Ipod, a few basic kitchen items, flashlights, Atlas, and a stack of reading material for the long flights/layovers and the trip home. Some minimal clothing and bedding. laptop computer to keep in touch, check news and mail. We stayed in Rv parks with Wi Fi every night. Brought the tire pressure gauge, cell phone. We had just sold our 2000 Itasca 24 foot class C, so didn't want to got overboard with new stuff. First stop was Wally world for food, basic tools and Supplies. Had a smooth trip home 4,095 miles. Next time we will take a month!
We didn't have any trouble checking that stuff at the airport, but kept valuables in the carry on bags. Have a great trip and enjoy the new rig.

After getting home we took one short trip with our sun, then winterized and parked it. -34 F last night. We will get it out in March to take snowmobiles to the mountains. Un-winterize it June 1st.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcampr View Post
We flew to Dallas to pick up our new to us 07 FR Georgetown, and drove it home to Fairbanks, Alaska in 6 Days. Had a smooth trip home 4,095 miles. Next time we will take a month!
Man, that's about 700 miles a day, I plan to do about 400!
Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cash or Plastic. And a laptop computer (in addition to the stuff listed above) you should have a good maping program on the laptop (Streets & Trips, Rand-McNally Road Atlas, Co-Pilot Live, Delorm or equivlent.. Though there are very few which are equivlent to Co-Pilot live (I don't have it though I have S&T)

And download the "low bridge" file that's 3 inches taller than your rig from http://www.discoveryowners.com/cginfolinks.htm
Old 11-22-2009, 01:08 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
700 miles is a lot...we just came back from picking up our new 2010 View from Lichtsinn in Iowa. We live on Whidbey Island, WA and the trip was 2100 miles. We did that in 7 days. Since this was our first RV my wife ordered some stuff online and had it delivered to a friends house in Mpls, which is where we flew into. They gave us a ride to Forest City. I took the GPS with me, carry on and we picked up other items on the road at Walmart. I was concerned about the weather but we did fine.
Here is a good website for Interstate travel weather forecasts:

Interstate Forecast Welcome

Have fun,
Jim
Old 11-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Dan
If you’re not pressed for time 400 Miles a Day is a good number. You'll arrive in the afternoon and be able to see when you park. It gets dark early this time of year. Take your time and enjoy the trip. You'll be less stressed and less likely to get in trouble. In a new vehicle I'm a little less relaxed and if your not in a hurry you'll be a lot less likely to pull a bonehead mistake and sour the whole RV experience.

Above all have a safe trip and enjoy the ride.

Dick
Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
The GPS is a must and next make sure you get Coachnet for any unexpected surprises on the way home, congratulations on the new coach, what kind did you get Ultimate?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsc View Post
The GPS is a must and next make sure you get Coachnet for any unexpected surprises on the way home, congratulations on the new coach, what kind did you get Ultimate?
I ended up getting a National Tradewinds 37ft with 2 slides. 300HP Cat.