Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #29

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
MONEY.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Dan
Welcome to iRV2 and congratulations on your new to you MH. I went through this very exercise earlier this year when I flew to Tempe AZ and took delivery of our 38' Monaco Camelot and drove it back to Olympia, WA. I took a laptop and my Canon Power Shot digital pocket camera as carry on, and a checked bag with toiletries, change of clothes, truck tire guage, GPS, cell phone, phone charger, MP3 player with Griffin Itrip FM modulater, a 12v plug adapter, and a double and triple splitter to operate all the electronics. The checked bag with all the "suspicious" wires and suspect items cleared through Homeland Security with no problem, though I had some real concerns. Took some cash, plastic for fuel, and of course the big cashier's check! There was no deal breaker when we went through the MH so paid the check and drove off into the sunset...literally. The MH had pillows and a comforter, so made do with that, but for your trip to take these items with you along with towels or buying when you get there would be recommended. This was a fast trip home so did not stock the MH. Ate and fueled where it was convenient. Did stop at a Wal*Mart early one morning after driving most of the night, slept, bought some snack items, TP and a few essentials. If you are shopping for a GPS I would recommend a Garmin. I have a Garmin 680 and even though this unit is not in production any more you can find factory reconditioned units on the internet that come with a one year guarantee for under $200. This is a full featured unit that would serve your needs very well without spending alot of money. Go to some on line sites and look up this model and compare features and price with the other available units. I drive semi professionally around the Northwest and a good GPS is invaluable. Have a wonderful and safe trip, and we all look forward to a report on your trip and pictures of the new MH.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
And the proper drivers license (from home state) for the weight/length of the new MH.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #32

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Weigh the coach BEFORE you take off or pay for it. Check it against the information posted in the coach. CAT Scales has a web site with locations. If you can't find one, call an RV or truck dealer and ask where you can find one. Weigh each axle if you can as well as total. After you are home and settled in and loaded for bear, weigh it again. That way you'll know how much STUFF you really brought onboard or have to take out

Be sure to bring Duct tape-for when it moves and shouldn't and WD-40 for when it dosen't move and should!!!
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:30 PM   #33

We travel 4000 miles each way in our rig......bring as little as possible on the flight and stop at a camping worlds on your way back with ur rig and get what u need as u need it....don't over spend before u sleep in it for the first nite. make sure that u get a water hose and a good sewer hose if there is none......maybe if its a used rig , things will come with it......
Good Luck on ur first adventure with ur rig.........
sammagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree you may want to send a box of stuff by UPS guaranteed ground to be there when you arrive. An inventory at the time you pick it up will reveal what things you need from Wal-Mart, Camping World, etc.
Since you will not have a toad, I would think you need to plan ahead for the campground stops, therefore I suggest a Campground Directory (Trailer Life or Woodalls or ??).
Have fun - enjoy the trip - and congratulations on a new rig.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
We flew to California to pick up our new unit and I should have found this site before going there. We ended up picking up needed items as we went and that worked quite well.
The only lesson I learned was not to put anything in your checked in luggage that you can't replace atonce. It took 3 days for them to find our luggage with our new GPS and cell phone.
Have fun
GeoSKlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #36

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats, we did the same thing back in the summer of 08, it was a fun and exciting time. We only drove back to Virginia from Florida.

You've had a treasure trove of great advise, but I would disagree with those who are warning you about taking a GPS through the airport. It is very very comonplace for GPS units to go through the airport. Thousands of folks do it every day, the inspectors don't think twice about it. If you think about it, most people will be renting a car when they get to their destination, and driving in an area they are likely not familiar with. Buy it and take it with you, and don't worry.

I just bought a Garmin 885T, and I highly recommend it. It is my second GPS, and it is light years ahead of my old one. It is a high end model as it is one of only 3 that I know of that recognizes your voice commands, and it actually works. You can simply tell it where you want to go, and it understands what you are saying. It also plays audible books which I also happen to use quite a bit. The MSN Direct is OK if you are in a populated area, but they are shutting down in January 2011. After my 3 month trial period is over, I will be getting the optional FM radio that accepts the free FM traffic instead of subscribing to MSN Direct. I got mine at Amazon for $300.

The other necessity is 24 hour emergency road service. Make sure it is in place, and there is no waiting period. Trust me, we had it in place, and we had to use it. I was so glad we had it. I use National Interstate insurance on the RV, and there is emergency road service included. They were great, they could not have been more helpful. Do yourself a favor and get some kind of 24 hour emergency road service!

Otherwise, have a great time! I'm jealous!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 PM   #37

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to mention...get the GPS, use it for a week or so to get used to it, and put it in your carry on! It will be as comonplace as a laptop!
Old 11-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We flew 2300 miles from E. WA to TN to pick up our used MH on 8/31/09. We obtained a trip map from AAA and MAPS online. We authorized a inspection and repair by a company in MS. Two new tires were mounted, with a new alternator, two house batteries. some drawer slides were repaired, total wash job, LOF Engine and Generator. We carried too many tools, too many State and local maps, a Travasak, one change of clothing, six changes of sox and underwear, toiletries, meds, 2 cell phones and chargers. Camera. No lap top, No GPS. First night in Walmart where we bought essentials. On day one we had a breakdown causing us a day. We were able to drive to a repair facility. After the repair the trip was easy and fun with 4 nights in Flying Js where we ate very well, rented showers, fueled up, emptied tanks, one nite in a CG was NG. Be sure to inspect the motor home thoroughly top to bottom with some help. Take your time and don't be afraid to rent a car and drive home and leave the MH in Florida.
Milt
popsuscdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 PM   #39

Everything mentioned can be purchased when you get there and on the return trip, most likely you will be hitting a Walmart and that's a guaranteed $100+ for sheets, etc.

If the coach has a satellite antenna, pack your receiver so you can verify it's operation. I did that and we immediately found a problem that I wouldn't have seen until home after my 1000 mile trip. GPS is nice but distracting if you are new to this size coach and trying to pay attention to finding the lane.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #40

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for a lot of great information, now I need to figure out how I can travel with 6 suitcases or just a toothbrush in my back pocket . Seriously, thanks to one and all, Happy Thanksgiving.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:16 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to tennsmith
What to take

I did a similar thing around the first of October of this year. Flew out one-way, picked up a Class A motorhome and returned home. Given airline charges for extra baggage, I decided to cram a carry-on full of "essentials" and buy the rest at a Walmart at the motorhome location. I took sheets, towel, washcloth, cosmetics, a blanket and a couple of changes of clothes, but bought a pillow, food, beverages, etc. when I got there for the trip home. I had a 1600 mile drive home (Arizona to Alabama), spent one night at a Flying J truckstop for free, then 2 nights at campgrounds. Being alone, the primary "objective" was just to return home, not make a mini-vacation out of it.
tennsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 AM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We flew to New Mexico to pick up the little motor home. Our first two nights were spent at a Super Walmart cleaning to our satisfaction and doing some basic stocking, paper plates, plastic utensils, cleaning materials, etc.

The one weirdness was NM law. The prior owner was required by NM law to remove the license plates and we were supposed to go to the NM DMV to get temporary plates. The prior owner 'forgot' to remove the plates and, being good citizens, we went to the DMV. We figured out that the DMV was an all day thing and we hit the road with the old plates. Once out of NM, nobody cared anyway.

The funny part was that the plates on the motor home were already a year out of date. We figured this out after we got home.

We flew with blankets (should have had more), towels, and changes of clothing. We made a vacation out of the return trip.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote