Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flying to Pick up MH, What do I take?

My wife and I are flying on the 4th of Dec. to Florida to pick up our coach. I need suggestions as to what to take as we are driving it back 2400 miles and will be staying in camp grounds. My thoughts are a good tire pressure guage, GPS of some kind (any suggestions?), a electric monitor for the campground hook up. Now let the suggestions begin. Be aware it has to be packable in one of our three large suitcases. Also some suggestions as to what to get after we pick it up to use on the way back.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #2

I would take a blanket, sheets, pillow cases, a pair of towels and toiletries. That is basic things. Marvh

Old 11-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
2400 miles at, say 400 miles per day, is 6 days. Take clothes - you'll need them. Stop at an RV dealer or a Camping world and pick up what you need. I might not try to fly with a surge protector and other electronic items (GPS maybe)
Maybe pick up a few tools at a parts store for the 'just in case' situations, along with the tire gauge.
No use going into an airport with enough stuff to get the attention of Homeland Security. Pack light and enjoy the trip back home.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could FED X or UPS things you will need on your trip home to the dealer ahead of time. A quick stop at Walmart to finish off anything else.
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #5

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

New or Used coach? How long do you have for PDI in Florida and drive back to Las Vegas? Do you already have an RV that is outfitted that you will transfer to the new unit?
Road Service- try Coach Net
Fuses
Flares/Warning triangles
Paper maps
Trailer Life or Woodalls campground directory
Flashlight
Flying J or other truck stop location maps

and more depending on answers to the above questions
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
My wife and I are flying on the 4th of Dec. to Florida to pick up our coach. I need suggestions as to what to take as we are driving it back 2400 miles and will be staying in camp grounds. My thoughts are a good tire pressure guage, GPS of some kind (any suggestions?), a electric monitor for the campground hook up. Now let the suggestions begin. Be aware it has to be packable in one of our three large suitcases. Also some suggestions as to what to get after we pick it up to use on the way back.
I think that you are close to what you need GPS, Tire gage, but I would purchase them when you get there. I think the tire gage will be a problem at the airport and you might be stopped for any electronic device. Go online and order your GPS and Tire Gage or anything else that you might need and have it sent to the dealer. Second option is to make arrangements with your sales person to take you to purchase your GPS and other things you may need. Remember on delivery of your new MH they will be on there best behavior until they get the check.

Just a suggestion. Congrats on your new MH.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:03 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Emergency road service contract. 2400 miles is a long shake down cruise, if something goes bad it will save you lots of money. good luck with the new rig.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:09 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
2400 miles at, say 400 miles per day, is 6 days. Take clothes - you'll need them. Stop at an RV dealer or a Camping world and pick up what you need. I might not try to fly with a surge protector and other electronic items (GPS maybe)
Maybe pick up a few tools at a parts store for the 'just in case' situations, along with the tire gauge.
No use going into an airport with enough stuff to get the attention of Homeland Security. Pack light and enjoy the trip back home.

Dw just made a flight to florida to move her mom back out here
she took 6 pairs of ratcheting tiedowns, padlocks, a bit of rope, and 3 days of clothes, gps , chargers and cell phones, TSA searched and let her go
I could only imagine the tsa guys thoughts as he looked at her stuff, knowing she was not checking her bag

congrats on the new rig
I would also take a pair of coveralls just in case you have to get dirty
new rigs equal loose hoses, a thought might be to have the dealer throw in a small tool kit of duct tape, screwdrivers and a pair of channel locks.

have fun
and GO weigh it right off and balance the tire pressure so your trip is smooth
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #9

A trip to the supermarket is in order so you will not have to find places to eat regularly. paper towels & TP. A basic pot & pan.

You may want to dry camp at a truck stop or Walmart so travel with some water on board & lp.

If used motorhome, make sure the fluids & belts & hoses have been changed or checked. make sure the tires are not out of date. If going toward cold temps be sure you are freeze protected & if diesel when you stop for the night make sure the engine heater is on.

Good luck & be safe.
Steve O
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard S. View Post
You could FED X or UPS things you will need on your trip home to the dealer ahead of time. A quick stop at Walmart to finish off anything else.
Definetly, anything with value, such as the GPS, surge guard ect., has only about a 20% chance of making the trip without being stolen at the airport. Ship your clothes also, it's cheaper, and you have a greater chance of getting there than checking your luggage. Just ship it to a FedEx or UPS store, or to a hotel if your staying in one the first night.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Vegasdan,
Congratulations on the new coach. Consider taking your personal items with you. Linen, clothing, blankets, bath towels, wash cloths, toiletries. etc.

Make sure the LP tank is full.

Everything else buy when you get the coach. You'll definitely need a water hose, sewer hose and any other items for utility hookups (gloves?). A surge protector is a good purchase, only if you know you want the portable or hard wired model. In addition soap for washing, a cup for each of you, some paper plates, utensils, a box of trash bags, paper towels and a bottle of general purpose cleaner. On the trip back eat out. It is a lot simpler than buying all that you need to cook in the coach. If you want to eat in the coach, buy the frozen food meals and drinks from the grocery store.

When driving back, begin the list. It will help pass the time. For the first year, buy only what is urgently needed. There will be a lot of after market appliances that are really great things to have. Before making the purchase, consider how you RV and does the item fit your style of RVing?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #12

Money---Credit Card---one good heavy duty Rival electric skillet---styro plates.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I should have given a little more info. First it's a used coach, 37 FT DP. It's a private sale. Some things are already in place such as the water hose. We will take our own set of sheets and towels and obviously our clothes for the trip back. I would like to get the GPS ahead of time so I'll have a little experience in using it (never had one before) if it's in a carry on bag, will we have any trouble getting it through security? As far as the electrical tester, would one of the basic polarity testers work for this trip, and, again, would that pass through security in a carry on? We'll probably eat out in the evenings and buy easy stuff for lunches on board. The fluids have all been changed, the tires are 3 years old and all systems have been checked out for functionality by an RV tech. We will stop at a Wally world etc. to get the basics. Thanks for all of your suggestions so far, I'm making my list.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #14

Congratulations!
We have picked up three motor homes that way, the last 1 1/2 months ago. For the first two I just flew out and drove them home. The last one we drove about 1200 miles, bought a tow dolly and towed our car home, we then sold the tow dolly. The first two were about 1700 miles away. By staying to the interstates when I drove the first two, and armed with a Cell Phone and a map I did just fine. I bought whatever I needed at the WalMarts or Auto supply stores. A thorough check of the vehicles was very important as has been mentioned by others. Tires, air pressure, hoses, belts, fluids, windshield wipers. Make sure all the lights work. These were bought from private parties. Both trips went fine. One of these unit was 3 years old, the other 20 years old. Do your Homework as best you can.
The last unit my wife and I drove down planning to have a travel adventure on the way back. Since we were towing our car and this was the largest and most complicated MH a Diesel Pusher. We were able to bring some items such as tools and a GPS unit and clothing in the car avoiding the Airport problems. We turned this into a 2500 miles trip home. We had planned to buy items we needed which would be used in the MH later on such as supplies, linens mats etc.
We used this as a "shake Down Cruise" taking note of future needs and any repairs. This has been posted in other threads.
Turn it into fun, that's what it's all about.
Try and bring a Laptop if you can that is invaluable.
Barrier