Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Many of us who are former members of what once was a great RV club have turned our FMCA "goose eggs" around.... so only a black blank goose egg can be seen by others.
If FMCA ever gets their act together I will rejoin and proudly display my goose egg.
Mel
'96 Safari
Can you expand on that thought? I looked at their site and considered joining, just didn't see a whole lot of benefits that would actually benefit me. I'm new to this and have no idea what the problem is ....
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I enjoy their magazine which I receive each month. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Many of us who are former members of what once was a great RV club have turned our FMCA "goose eggs" around.... so only a black blank goose egg can be seen by others.
If FMCA ever gets their act together I will rejoin and proudly display my goose egg.
Mel
'96 Safari

We dropped out too. Loyal members for many years, but became disenchanted with the pecking order that was evident at the rallies. So now the "goose eggs" are in my shop doing duty as drafting guides.

I phoned the headquarters to let them know I would not be renewing. Answer was ... "OK, thanks" ... click. Never asked me why, or even sent a note inquiring about my reason for unjoining.
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Can you expand on that thought? I looked at their site and considered joining, just didn't see a whole lot of benefits that would actually benefit me. I'm new to this and have no idea what the problem is ....
jt
Clubs are not for everyone especially those that have some expectation that they will get something free or deeply discounted. The Freightliner Chassis Owners Club (FCOC) has 3500+ members because they offer discounts on parts and labor at Freightliner Service Centers but they seldom get 75 coaches at their rallies. FCOC resigned as a chapter for FMCA thinking that they would get more members but it is unclear if this is working for them.

FMCA has a ton of chapters and I belong to three, my local chapter Tri-State Traveliers (75 coaches), Swinging Golfers (8 rallies of golf and fun) plus an International club, Thor Diesel Club (TDC) which has 500+ members. TDC has 2 rallies a year pulling in 60+ coaches for the spring rally (social & fun) and 100+ for the fall rally (Technical, social & fun). We also have mini rallies (social & fun) where we pull in 20-30 coaches. This year our mini rallies will be held in Loveland, CO and the Outer Banks.

Currently we are attending the FMCA Great Lakes Regional Rally (Goshen, IN Fairgrounds) and we have 400+ coaches in attendance. We are parked together with our local chapter Tri-State Traveliers (16 coaches) and we will have 4 days of technical seminars, touring local attractions, looking at new coaches sponsored by a local RV dealer, and socializing with our many RV friends, plus much more! Of the 400+ coaches 180 have volunteered to help work the rally which tells you that there is a ton of support for the rally and FMCA.

As I said, clubs are not for everyone but if they are for you the fee to join FMCA will not break he bank and it will open up the opportunity to join some of their many chapters. IMHO, you will get your monies worth if you like to be around other RVers with similar interests.
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Are you going to make the North Bend rally? We are if the DW's health holds out.
Yup. I have to be there as general support and the wife has to be there to pay the bills. Let me know if you make it so we can meet up sometime.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 AM   #20

I should add that although I don't see the need to display our Goose Egg, I still belong to FMCA. Not for their main rallys, but to be able to join the FMCA 4-wheelers club. It's a group of motor home owners that also have a passion for exploring the mountains and desert of the SW with their Jeeps. We currently have 430 member families and it is capped at that number. Usually 80-120 units attend our week long rallys for a great time with friends and some challenging times on the trails. The magazine is not as interesting as it used to be, but I still read some of the articles. If not for the 4-wheelers club, I don't know if I would continue our membership.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
jt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonrover View Post
We dropped out too. Loyal members for many years, but became disenchanted with the pecking order that was evident at the rallies. So now the "goose eggs" are in my shop doing duty as drafting guides.
I phoned the headquarters to let them know I would not be renewing. Answer was ... "OK, thanks" ... click. Never asked me why, or even sent a note inquiring about my reason for unjoining.
harleyjt
For me FMCA lost it's luster for many reasons...(most of which others have, and will. mention).
Apparently the "good old boys" at the top of the organization have lost touch with reality and only care about what THEIR club can do for THEM, (with the dues connected from the rank and file members).
Even the "free" magazine has gone downhill.

BTW. it is not only individual members who are not renewing their FMCA membership.
Some small RV clubs to which I pay dues have also dropped out of FMCA...and no longer require a FMCA membership as a condition of membership.

Mel, (a former 12 year FMCA member)
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I use plain old pipe strap to mount it to the rear ladder. No special "mount" need be purchased.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #23
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Folks, several posts have wandered off topic on a couple of different topics.

Let's stay on topic please.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #24

Thanks all, good ideas, willl get my egg mounted soon.

Sorry to hear less engagement in FMCA, I am new, checking it out and will go further if it all seems worth it.

L.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't have one on the front, but stuck the one on the rear right on the fiberglass above the license plate with those removable adhesive picture hanging strips. The strips don't mar the finish at all and are easily removed.

I had mine on the ladder, but it really interfered with my feet when climbing the ladder. That ladder is unsafe as it is, no need to make it worse.

I guess I'm in the dark as far as knowing what or how FMCA is deteriorating. I enjoy the rallies, magazine, and Michelin tire discounts.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:52 PM   #26

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
I guess I'm in the dark as far as knowing what or how FMCA is deteriorating. I enjoy the rallies, magazine, and Michelin tire discounts.

Ron
I think I'll mount the front one to the inside of the windshield and use double sided tape for the rear since we don't have a ladder.

The FMCA magazine is worth the cost alone and we are going to need new tires too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #27

FMCAssist evacuation insurance is a $85 to $109 per year benefit that you now receive for $40 per year dues. Even if you no longer own a motor home and have been a FMCA member, you can rejoin as an Associate member to receive this benefit.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
FMCAssist evacuation insurance is a $85 to $109 per year benefit that you now receive for $40 per year dues. Even if you no longer own a motor home and have been a FMCA member, you can rejoin as an Associate member to receive this benefit.
First year is $50, renewals are $40 and well worth it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote