Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #1

FMCA Michelin Advantage Program

I am checking the pricing at a couple of local shops in the Houston TX area on the Michelin advantage program for 275.70/22.5 XZA2 Energy Load Range J tires. The sample price in the Michelin brochure for this tire is $495.91 ($2,975 for 6) which does not include dealer cost for mounting, balancing, tax and etc. I had one shop quote $4,327 for 6 ties mounted but does not participate in the Michelin Advantage program. Has anyone had this size Michelin installed through the Micheil Advantage program and could share the actual tire costs and dealer cost so I will have some details as I work through this. Thanks

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

I have not needed to order tires (yet) but you might want you give Strouhal Tire a call. They seem to do a lot of motorhome chassis and suspension work and they ate a Michelin dealer. Perhaps they participate in the FMCA program.

Sorry I can't be more specific -Steve

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
I have not needed to order tires (yet) but you might want you give Strouhal Tire a call. They seem to do a lot of motorhome chassis and suspension work and they ate a Michelin dealer. Perhaps they participate in the FMCA program.

Sorry I can't be more specific -Steve
That is one on my list and they do participate in the program. I did call them but their computer was down so he could not check availability from Michelin or give me any prices today. Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The sample sheet on the FMCA website is usually the current price - to verify you can call the customer Service phone number that is also on their website. It connects you with a real human, here in the USA, who will verify the price for you.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

Your bid is like $100 less per tire than I paid last year in California.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm about to get tires thru the Michelin Advantage tire program. My question is; what is in it for the tire dealership? They make no profit on the sale? Only labor and valve stems?
Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 AM   #7

Michalelin Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I am checking the pricing at a couple of local shops in the Houston TX area on the Michelin advantage program for 275.70/22.5 XZA2 Energy Load Range J tires. The sample price in the Michelin brochure for this tire is $495.91 ($2,975 for 6) which does not include dealer cost for mounting, balancing, tax and etc. I had one shop quote $4,327 for 6 ties mounted but does not participate in the Michelin Advantage program. Has anyone had this size Michelin installed through the Micheil Advantage program and could share the actual tire costs and dealer cost so I will have some details as I work through this. Thanks

I just bought a set of Michelin 2335/80R22.5 XRV LRG through the FMCA program and paid $389.58 (including FET) each for 6 tires, invoice total $2540.82 including California State Taxes. $351.61 for mounting and balancing. Total $2892, it was a good deal, was quoted $495 each by a local dealer plus mounting and balancing. The program works

PaulM

Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlvr1
I'm about to get tires thru the Michelin Advantage tire program. My question is; what is in it for the tire dealership? They make no profit on the sale? Only labor and valve stems?
You have to think they are making something on each tire beyond labor. When my dealer had not heard of the program he called his Michelin rep, and was told it's handled like any other "fleet" or maybe he said Affinity program. I'm sure fleets have good pricing but it's doubtful every dollar of profit was negotiated out of the tire itself. If that were the case large numbers of tires would be sold at $0 profit and that isn't how volume pricing is intended to work. You take less profit for volume sales, but not zero profit. The money we pay for labor may cover the labor the dealer is paying his staff but would it keep his doors open?? Probably not.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhlvr1 View Post
Yes they make profit on the sale, then they make profit on the install and then they make profit on the resale of your old skins.

FWIW, I refuse to pay to have tires installed, I know my low-mileage / low-wear skins are worth several hundred dollars so I barter them for the install service. I purchase the skin (usually at Costco or Sams for less than FMCA) and then have a local truck center install the tire and they get to keep my skins in exchange.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought 6 tires last fall I found 2 dealers that gave me a slightly better price than going through the FMCA program, but couldn't guarantee how old the new tires would be. In the end I went through the FMCA program because I was told the tires would be less than 2 months old and they were.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #11

Last year I got a set (6) 295/80R22.5 through FMCA paid $4000 for the tires and $260 to mount, recondition valve stems and balance the front 2 tires and the tires, 6 weeks old at the time.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post
Yes they make profit on the sale, then they make profit on the install and then they make profit on the resale of your old skins.

FWIW, I refuse to pay to have tires installed, I know my low-mileage / low-wear skins are worth several hundred dollars so I barter them for the install service. I purchase the skin (usually at Costco or Sams for less than FMCA) and then have a local truck center install the tire and they get to keep my skins in exchange.
Will definitely try that when the time arises. Great tip.