Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 06:17 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
What to expect...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker1956 View Post
Since this is our first Rally, can anyone that has been to one give us an idea what to expect? We were planning on leaving our toad home. Will there be any meals served at the rally? Do they have concession type stands where we could buy sandwiches, etc? Do most that attend go off site for meals? If so, we may need to rethink bringing the toad.
Thanks in advance!
We're not experts, but we went to one FMCA Rally and one Good Sam Rally and both were pretty much the same:
  • Lots of seminars on all sorts of things from tire safety, fire safety, generator maintenance and repair, cooking, crafts, travel caravans, and so on. We went to our first rally right after we got our first motorhome, so we spent lots of time at the seminars covering introductory-level topics. There was a seminar on RV driving safety by RVSEF that was especially good.
  • Lots of vendors and acres of things to buy. Some of the "show specials" were quite good, others weren't really all that discounted, but either way it's nice to have all of the possible accessories and extras in one place.
  • Many of the vendors offer installation services, so it's possible to buy accessories and get them installed without having to schlepp to a dealer. Many also offer troubleshooting, maintenance, and repair services. We upgraded our monitors to the See-Level variety and got it installed at a quite-reasonable price.
  • Special services. For example, we got all six tires weighed independently. Very useful information.
  • Lots of RVs on display. It seems that a lot of people actually buy a new motorhome while at the rally! We had fun looking at the $500,000 units just to see how the other half lives. If you just bought a motorhome, be careful, especially if you're prone to second-guessing your own decisions.
  • Entertainment. I think one of the featured acts will be the Texas Tenors. I'm not familiar with them, but I'm told that they won some sort of American Idol-style talent thingie so it ought to be good.
  • "Chapter" gatherings. As you can see from some of the above posts, many FMCA chapters have mini-rallies at the rally. The ham radio folks, for example, are getting together and then congregating after the rally at an RV park down the road. There's a new Thor motor coach club being formed and several of us will be linking up at the rally, handing out flyers, and enlisting new members.
  • General gawking and ogling. It's great fun just to walk around, look at other people's rigs, check out their customizations, get ideas for projects, etc.
That last point brings up one of the possible downsides (depending on your personality type). The whole thing might look pretty weird to an outsider. In fact, I've tried to imagine what a Martian might think if he accidentally landed at an FMCA rally. He might actually turn his ray guns on the whole area to exterminate such a weird species before it multiplied and spread to other places in the universe. But, if you're OK with the possibility of being vaporized by Martians, you'll have fun.

Skip

SkipRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #16

Could someone give me details of the Monaco pre-rally in Perry, GA.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:58 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA RVer View Post
Could someone give me details of the Monaco pre-rally in Perry, GA.
https://monacointernational.wildapri...pageId=1684157
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Heard back from FMCA. I am scheduled to deliver 3 Seminars on Genealogy and two on tires. One of the tire seminars covers the basics of tire sizing & inflation along with proper maintenance. The Advanced Tire is about failure analysis. I believe that if you don't know the real reason for a tire failure you may not be taking the proper corrective action so may not prevent another failure.

Hope to see & meet some of you there.

Roger Marble
Old 01-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #19

Probably a stupid question, but is FMCA membership required to attend?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danandcarol View Post
Probably a stupid question, but is FMCA membership required to attend?
Yes. There is a $7 public gate fee per day per person to go to the exhibits only. Free public car parking is available and will be located at the north gate at the Georgia National Fairgrounds and Agricenter. Public will be directed to take exit 135 (Larry Walker Parkway/ Golden Isle Parkway), and follow signs to public parking and to purchase tickets.

To visit the exhibits, attend all the seminars and evening entertainment for one day, FMCA members and public gate patrons can purchase a daily passport at the public gate for $55 for members and $65 for non-members.

You can learn more at FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos. and click on Conventions. There is a FAQ available.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
My hubby and I were there and it was great except for the rain! We had a very nice time and it was our first FMCA Rally! Great seminars, great company, just lousy weather
Ghostlarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Carolina Campers
We were there also! We learned a lot, shopped till we dropped, and drooled a bunch going through the new coaches. We had a great time even though the weather wasn't great.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:08 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker1956 View Post
We were there also! We learned a lot, shopped till we dropped, and drooled a bunch going through the new coaches. We had a great time even though the weather wasn't great.
Did you make it to any of my seminars on Genealogy or Tires?