Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 05:57 PM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
I did 3 of my windows in April of this year. Not to bad. I did buy a battery powered caulk gun, glad I did as it saved time and did a better job.

I used a number of different cleaners. One of the windows was etched but I got most of it out by using a combination of CLR and 00000 steel wool. I then bought a good quality glass cleaner for the final clean.

The hardest part was getting the metal pull piece off the end. The last one I used some lacquer thinner and thin long razor blade and got it off fairly easy.

I bought my supplies from DK Hardware, less then $100 to do probably 6-7 windows. I had to go back to the website and download and read the instructions to see that the aluminum side goes out as a vapor barrier.

Getting the drivers side window out and in was a challenge doing it myself but I did it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #128

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandsue74 View Post
Tom,
You need to get a power caulk gun, available from Home Depot.
RJ
I gave in, went to Home Depot and got the power caulk gun. I figured I got enough exercise today. Tomorrow I will not burn as many calories but should have a better and neater repair job.
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #129

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lopez View Post
I gave in, went to Home Depot and got the power caulk gun. I figured I got enough exercise today. Tomorrow I will not burn as many calories but should have a better and neater repair job.
Tom I'm curious, is the calk required for this repair super thick?

I've done a lot of calking myself but never thought about getting a power caulker!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:39 AM   #130

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NO, it's not any thicker than any other but using the special caulk guide needed to get caulk in place makes it hard to squeeze. I even have a really good regular caulk gun but it was still a forearm exercise and could not keep from making a mess when arms and hands got tired. POWER CAULK GUN gotta be easier and better as those that have done before have said. Should have listened instead of trying to be cheap.

Well today is another day and I am off now (5:30 AM) to pull driver side window and do it as well as pull and REDO the passenger side window. Hope to get both done today, let caulk cure over night and reinstall both tomorrow. Then I will have only one little window near the recliner area left to do. Hope all goes well today.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:25 AM   #131

Very interesting thread. I paid to have mine done, just over $1,000.00 for 4 windows. Next time I will handle myself!

I was able to observe some of the work on my coach, I noticed they used a sabre saw, saws all, bayonet saw (have heard many names for these) to separate the glass. One fellow held the window, the other ran around it with the saw between the panes. Looked like a fine tooth metal blade in the saw. They had the panes separated in less than a minute.

Just thought I would share.

L.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:26 AM   #132

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
NO, it's not any thicker than any other but using the special caulk guide needed to get caulk in place makes it hard to squeeze. I even have a really good regular caulk gun but it was still a forearm exercise and could not keep from making a mess when arms and hands got tired. POWER CAULK GUN gotta be easier and better as those that have done before have said. Should have listened instead of trying to be cheap.

Well today is another day and I am off now (5:30 AM) to pull driver side window and do it as well as pull and REDO the passenger side window. Hope to get both done today, let caulk cure over night and reinstall both tomorrow. Then I will have only one little window near the recliner area left to do. Hope all goes well today.

The power caulk gun will be easier. It doesn't get tired and lose its grip! Lol! They will put out a consistent flow of material. We did a project that had over 5,000 feet of caulking to apply to some seams and these things really take a lot of wear and tear off your arms. Oh, yeah, this was all overhead caulking 40' in the air off of a scissor lift.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 07-08-2015, 03:21 PM   #133

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well it is 4:00 PM and I have been busy working on my windows since 5:30 AM. I am stuck now until next week. I ran out of sealant to seal the last window. Got half way on it and ran out. I still need more to attach the latches and seal seams in the frames. Just ordered more from amazon but won't be here until sometime next week. So I taped plastic film in place of the windows and now the coach looks like it has two black eyes.
Foggy Window Repair - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery
Old 07-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #134

Quote:
Well it is 4:00 PM and I have been busy working on my windows since 5:30 AM. I am stuck now until next week. I ran out of sealant to seal the last window. Got half way on it and ran out. I still need more to attach the latches and seal seams in the frames. Just ordered more from amazon but won't be here until sometime next week. So I taped plastic film in place of the windows and now the coach looks like it has two black eyes.

Foggy Window Repair - iRV2.com RV Photo Gallery

Tom, I wished you lived a little closer cause I have two tubes left as well almost a full roll of the descant spacer material. Too much of a drive. It is well worth the effort.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #135

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had one window fixed. Cost $350.00 for one window. Researched the "R Factor" of these windows. According to University of CO. They are .029. A plain single glass window is.021. I' contacted a local automotive glass company and received prices to fix 8 more windows with automotive safety glass forless than 400 bucks Installed. Some say the RV dual panes are more quiet, and keep the RV warmer. I don't know about others but we close our shades, blinds at nite. During the day will use blinds to assist keeping heat out of motorhome. Safe travels ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:01 AM   #136

Fogged Window repair thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDALLSAILS View Post
I had one window fixed. Cost $350.00 for one window. Researched the "R Factor" of these windows. According to University of CO. They are .029. A plain single glass window is.021. I' contacted a local automotive glass company and received prices to fix 8 more windows with automotive safety glass forless than 400 bucks Installed. Some say the RV dual panes are more quiet, and keep the RV warmer. I don't know about others but we close our shades, blinds at nite. During the day will use blinds to assist keeping heat out of motorhome. Safe travels ed

Not sure where you got your R value information to find such low numbers but I did a Google search and found this;

Single Pane. 1/4" glass 0.91
Double Pane with 1/4" air space 1.69

On http://www.archtoolbox.com/materials...n/rvalues.html

I know there are tons of factors involved on windows because I used to sell windows for houses but I know the R value is better double pane than single pane.

I would like the name of the company doing your 8 windows for $400 so I don't waste my time doing anymore of my own. I wouldn't do my own for $400.

Alan Wilson

2001 HR Scepter 38 PBD
Old 07-09-2015, 08:17 AM   #137

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I did the window in the door of our pusher this winter. Looked great until last week when it fogged again. Darn it! Not sure why the seal would fail so quickly.
That would be enough to send me skyward after all that work...
castrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #138

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put the passenger side window back together today. I found enough caulk to finish the window except for the latch. I will have to wait until next week to finish. That is when I should get my order of caulk and I can then finish the driver side windows and install the latch on this window.

The window looks great and there is no more fog here. Here is a picture:

http://www.irv2.com/attachments/phot...m/P7106960.JPG

I hope the picture worked. I don't know how to post a thumb print picture.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:57 PM   #139

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I did the window in the door of our pusher this winter. Looked great until last week when it fogged again. Darn it! Not sure why the seal would fail so quickly.

I used gas from my MIG Welder injected between the panes to insure that there would be no moisture in there. I left two little spaces, on top and one on the bottom to flush the air. I then sealed the two holes with silicone.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:09 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I used gas from my MIG Welder injected between the panes to insure that there would be no moisture in there. I left two little spaces, on top and one on the bottom to flush the air. I then sealed the two holes with silicone.
I thought about injecting Argon. But I really don't think that it was moisture that was in there. My guess was that the seal failed. I could be incorrect. But it was perfect until last week.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, window