Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #44
Cat

I was just trying to make sure gray is the correct color for the spacer for Fleetwood years 2006- 2008 on the diesel pushers. When I look between my window panes it's difficult to determine the color, it could be gray or a light black.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
I was just trying to make sure gray is the correct color for the spacer for Fleetwood years 2006- 2008 on the diesel pushers. When I look between my window panes it's difficult to determine the color, it could be gray or a light black.
The new and improved spacer may not be the same color as the original ... but it's available to us do-it-yourself owners.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:09 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat View Post
Cat,
The original spacer was black. The spacer I used was grey. The manufacturer listed a black replacement part number but it was much more difficult to find and, if I recall, more expensive. On stationary windows you cannot see it. On moving windows you can see it when window is open. It does NOT look out of place however. I knowingly choose to use the grey, and no regrets. ESPECIALLY when you consider I bought everything (2 packages of spacer, 4 tubes of spacer sealant, the sealant application tool and the butyl tape for well under $200.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #47
rpk

Two More

The butyl pumping can get a little rough on large windows. I bought a pneumatic caulking gun...works great!
If you have trouble getting the frame tight around the panes during reassembly, run a strap around the frame after the glass is partially in. Loosen the strap enough to get a lever in, then tighten like a tourniquet. It applies a nice slow even pressure all around the frame and beats(!) using a mallet.

rpk
Old 09-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #48

I have full glass coverage with Progressive insurance. Will they cover the repairs to my fogged windows?
Old 09-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk View Post
The butyl pumping can get a little rough on large windows. I bought a pneumatic caulking gun...works great!
If you have trouble getting the frame tight around the panes during reassembly, run a strap around the frame after the glass is partially in. Loosen the strap enough to get a lever in, then tighten like a tourniquet. It applies a nice slow even pressure all around the frame and beats(!) using a mallet.

rpk
Don't think I wasn't dreaming of a pneumatic caulking gun while doing this job. If I tried to due the entire coach in one day my forearms would have failed. Not just the caulking, but the utility knife to separate the panes.

Great ideas for sure.
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #50

@akeyzoo, waiting on amazon order to get here. Stay tuned cause i might have a question !
Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #51

How do you get the stationary glass to slide out, without tearing up the rubber seal that wraps around it ?
Old 09-22-2014, 03:12 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbounder View Post
How do you get the stationary glass to slide out, without tearing up the rubber seal that wraps around it ?
Depends on window location and number of glass sections.

If it's the common 2 section (1 fixed and 1 slider), you need to find the "split" (or seam) in the frame (it's visible and usually has black sealer on it). From the area of the frame that is normally not visible (hidden by wall), find the screws (again covered in black sealer), remove the screws and the small backer plate. The frame can now be split at the seam (open it about 1 inch or so) and the glass can be removed.

Look at the 3rd picture in #31 in this thread.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #53

It is a 2 section window. I have taken it apart. Slider glass is out and crossbar is out. But the stationary glass has a rubber seal that goes all the way around the glass and when you try to slide the glass out, the rubber gasket doesnt slide with the glass.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbounder View Post
It is a 2 section window. I have taken it apart. Slider glass is out and crossbar is out. But the stationary glass has a rubber seal that goes all the way around the glass and when you try to slide the glass out, the rubber gasket doesnt slide with the glass.
It's just stuck ... try some silicone spray. The seal as little ribs that grip the frame. Try pulling the glass back (put tension on it) and gently pry the seal away from the frame (small screwdriver.).
Old 09-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #55

Thanks, i tried silicone, soap and spit. Nothing would soak between the seal and the frame. So i cut the seal where it was origionally connected together and the pushed the ends in the track and the glass slid right out. So when i go bacl together with it i will need to bond the two ends of the seal back together.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:00 PM   #56

Any idea what they use to bond the ends together with ?

Tags
repair, window