Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #1

Fogged windows should I consider...

Hi all. As time press a fast response would be appreciated,,,
Tomorrow I will be viewing an rv that has window for the colder weather. I guess they must be double with an air gap in between.
The owner told me that they are starting to fog, apparently it’s pretty common.
Anny remedies for that problem.. How about drilling with special bit some holes on both sides and forcing hot hair to removed humidity..?
thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2014, 02:39 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It is a common issue. Some here have had luck with outfits that take them apart and repair them, but often times they are just replaced. I'm not too sure that anything like drilling a hole in them will be a solution.

Use our search feature and you can find a lot of discussion on the topic.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Not sure of the coach manufacturer you are looking at, but I found this some time ago regarding some Newells: "Newell is recalling certain model year 2004-2010 motorcoaches manufactured from January 2004 through December 2009, equipped with SE-GI windows. The adhesive bond between the glass portion of the vent panel and hinge may degrade, and the panel may detach and fall from the vehicle. Newell will notify owners but the notification schedule and the recall remedy is to be determined. This service will be performed free of charge. Owners may contact Newell at 1-888-963-9355."

Best of luck in your search and decision.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:55 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
They are therm windows made with safety glass, being safety glass drilling a hole
is almost impossible without breaking them.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on where you are , there a a few companies that will reseal them for $200-300 a piece.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
They are windows made with safety glass. Being safety glass, drilling a hole is almost impossible without breaking them.
this. Also, space between panes is filled with inert gas that's dry, so normal humidity doesn't get hot or cold and transmit that temp to the other pane, and into the MH. Lack of moisture inside the pane is what insulates better.

Opening a gap or hole defeats the purpose of double-paned glass.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #7

There are several companies around the US that repair these for reasonable costs, RVFogDr in Searcy, AR, Suncoast Designers in Hudson, FL and Phoenix/Yuma Glass Repair 480-962-3886. I believe they give warranties with the repairs.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #8

In May I had 9 windows resealed by Dave Roots out of Bend, Or
Home Page
He had 2 of his guys come to my place around 200mi one way. They started around 7AM and finished around 5:30PM and they did a great job. Windows that fog and start to sweet in time will etch the glass on the inside.
They removed all windows at one time looked like a bomb went off but when they got through you could not tell that they had been there the only difference the windows look new, money well spent.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:08 PM   #9

Some excellent answers already but I'll offer just a few comments. We bought our fulltimer RV with dual pane glass and never regretted it at all, even though we were starting to have some of them fog at the time that we sold in after 14 years. As stated before they are of tempered glass and not only is drilling not a good idea to attempt, it wouldn't solve the problem as the fogging is from a combination of moisture and also the glass gets dirty between the two glasses and to solve the fogging they need to be cleaned as well as getting rid of the moisture. Even if drilling were possible, it really would not solve the problem and might even make it worse.

There are several different places around the country which do repairs on those windows and that is almost always less costly than to replace them. Double pane windows make an RV far more easily heated and cooled and they also make the RV far more quiet inside. I had them on our old RV and sure miss them now that we don't have them any longer.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 AM   #10

fog windows..

thanks again, nice to be well surrounded by caring people..
we will take a look tomorrow..
Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #11

Dave Root sells a repair kit with materials and instructions allowing the rv owner to do his own repair.

Buy window rebuild kit

You can buy similar materials from Amazon cheaper. If you want to see the process, look for "fogged window repair" in the files section here on IRV2 iRV2 Forums - Files - Exterior

Fred
Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper View Post
Dave Root sells a repair kit with materials and instructions allowing the rv owner to do his own repair.
Fred

I always assumed that there was inert gas between panes, so lack of humidity inside is what kept them from fogging. If we can rebuild them ourselves, then that either can't be true, or the rebuild won't last as long.

Anybody know which it is?
Old 08-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I always assumed that there was inert gas between panes, so lack of humidity inside is what kept them from fogging. If we can rebuild them ourselves, then that either can't be true, or the rebuild won't last as long.

I watched them separate the window panes clean them and etch the edges but did not watch them put them together. I think the gap between the 2 panes is about 1/32" and don't think there is any gas. Mine comes with a 3 year warranty.
They did mine on a rainy day.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

IIRC the seal in the Dave Root kit is impregnated with a desiccant.

Tags
window