Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Fogging windows

Where to go to get this problem fixed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #2

Where are you located?

If on the west coast, Dave Root is a good place to check : click

Some glass shops can do it too.

Or, you can even do it yourself if you have the time and patience ...I think Dave Root has kits for that.

-harry

Old 06-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

Dave Root certainly has the kits for do it yourself. There is a shop just north of Little Rock, just check google. Be careful with glass shops unless you know they have the seals and parts. I think you can search this site for tips also and that would be useful.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #4

...and that's why I said "some glass shops," vraines. I realize that not "all" are equipped to do such work.

For instance, we talked to a guy the last time we were up in Washington who had fogging caused by a bad seal in his RV entry door glass. He told us about wondering where to go and he found this glass shop when searching around the internet:

DK Boos Glass

However, at first, he figured they wouldn't be equipped to do RV applications just looking at their homepage. Then he explored their website further and found this page:

RV Window/glass Repair & Replacement

If he hadn't further explored their website, he told us that he'd probably would have skipped right over even calling them.

Turned out they did excellent work.

So OP, if you might be in the northwest, this is another place to check out.

-harry
Old 08-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #5

Dave root is in Oregon. gust finished 2 windows, not very difficult just messy. If you are handy you can do it yourself. complete instructions included and he will return emails in short ordet
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

Dr Fog in Searcy, AR. http://www.rvfogdr.com/

They have hookups for RV while work is being completed.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #7

To the original poster, and general good posting practice. If you have a question, first do a search of your issue. Chances are that someone else had the same or similar question before and there may be lots of answers out there already. If not, then provide sufficient information so that others might be able to give better specific answers or information. If more information is requested, monitor the post and come back so we, the potential helpers, know if you are helped or have the info you and we need. I asked this question about fogged window repair specifically in the Phoenix area and got excellent suggestions that I intend to follow up (search "fogged windows" for my and other posts). The question is still out there...where do you live, if it makes any difference to you?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In Florida Suncoast designers in Hudson, Fl appear to do a good job. 10 yr warranty. safe travels.. ed
Old 08-04-2013, 06:35 PM   #9

I did mine myself. 90% better but some of the glass was etched which requires replacement. Even with the etching at least now I can see out. They just look like there a little dirty
Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Florida Suncoasters
Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vraines View Post
Dave Root certainly has the kits for do it yourself. There is a shop just north of Little Rock, just check google. Be careful with glass shops unless you know they have the seals and parts. I think you can search this site for tips also and that would be useful.
I believe I can add a bit of information to your post if you dont mind. The shop is RV fog doctor in Searcy, Arkansas. I took my tiffin bus there to get an estimate while I was in the neighborhood on buisness. The two doors in the window have a white film etched into the glass he said they would have to be replaced at about 400.00 per window. The three windows on the drivers side by the driver have the seals broke and have moisture in them but not etched he can take them apart and clean then reseal them. About 600 for the three of them. Time wise the windows that had to be replaced he would take them out and cut the glass out. The windows had to be sent to Memphis tennessee to be tempered and DOD certified. If I took the windows to memphis for them ( short drive in my car) then the whole procedure would take about two days. If they had to put the glass on the truck to memphis would be about two weeks. They were busy when I was there so I am going to find some time when I am not busy and set up an appointment. I was there on July 26, 2013 so estimate is pretty current
Old 08-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #12

new glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl_Richard View Post
I did mine myself. 90% better but some of the glass was etched which requires replacement. Even with the etching at least now I can see out. They just look like there a little dirty
I bought new tempered glass for my living room window 2 pcs 28 11/16 x 24 13/16 for $67.00 the old glass was etched pretty badly.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #13

I had a smaller widow on my MH fogging. Spent about 1 Hr taking the window and frame out. Took it to the local Automotive Glass shop and they installed tinted laminated safety glass in the frame for less then $50.00. The Saftey Glass is 1/4" vs dual pane original which is 3/8". They put a closed cell foam tape used in the industry to fill the gap on the inside. They say this is very commonly done. Got some very messy black butyl to seal frame in coach and it looks great. I'll try the larger windows next. If you're handy this can work for fogged windows and they will never fog again.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselOne View Post
The Saftey Glass is 1/4" vs dual pane original which is 3/8"... If you're handy this can work for fogged windows and they will never fog again.
Well, in cold weather camping, you trade fogging up (condensation) on the inside of a single pane window for fog between the panes of a thermal window. I may consider single pane replacement glass if it will work out appearance wise and is considerably cheaper. For what I would spend to have my fogged double panes (5 and counting) completely fixed or replaced, I can run a lot of HVAC if the heat gain or loss is really that significant over single panes.