Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 11:32 AM   #1

Question Foggy head light covers

The headlight covers on my HR Endeavor are very "Foggy" and kind of oxidized. I have tried all kinds of plastic cleaner including MaQuires lens cleaner using a buffing ball on electric drill. It's like i'm wasting my time.
I have to look very close for any improvement , and after working on one side for an hour with light rubbing compound and every other type of cleaner i'm not accomplishing much.........they still look foggy. Hopefully there is a magical cleaner that will save me buying new ones that are probably worth $50.00, but of course the RV dealer will want $200 +. Then again the unit is a 2005, maybe they have done there time and just simply must be replaced ...??
Thanks for any recommendations regarding a product that works !

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
The headlight covers on my HR Endeavor are very "Foggy" and kind of oxidized. I have tried all kinds of plastic cleaner including MaQuires lens cleaner using a buffing ball on electric drill. It's like i'm wasting my time.
I have to look very close for any improvement , and after working on one side for an hour with light rubbing compound and every other type of cleaner i'm not accomplishing much.........they still look foggy. Hopefully there is a magical cleaner that will save me buying new ones that are probably worth $50.00, but of course the RV dealer will want $200 +. Then again the unit is a 2005, maybe they have done there time and just simply must be replaced ...??
Thanks for any recommendations regarding a product that works!
RIDER FAN
Have you tried Deep Woods OFF, or any insect repellent with 25% DEET?

Old 06-29-2016, 12:26 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
Thanks for any recommendations regarding a product that works !
If you will look really close, there should be a series of numbers molded into the plastic. That's the DOE number and a search of that number will find replacements on e-bay or Amazon. Almost all RV manufacturers use off the shelf headlights from other vehicles. I replaced the ones on my '06 Itasca, which were originally used on a 97 Ford Windstar Van. The total cost for two assemblies was around $60 and even included new bulbs. They were a vast improvement over the originals.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My suggestion is to buy a Restore kit which has sandpaper, polishing compound, and most of all, a UV protector.

You really need to remove the oxidized material and re-polish.
Simple liquids, even DEET will not last because the plastic is already damaged.
I have attached a picture of the "After" for my sons Fleetwood. World of difference.

Regards,

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dean_Headligh.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	131604  
Old 06-29-2016, 03:37 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
If you will look really close, there should be a series of numbers molded into the plastic. That's the DOE number and a search of that number will find replacements on e-bay or Amazon. Almost all RV manufacturers use off the shelf headlights from other vehicles. I replaced the ones on my '06 Itasca, which were originally used on a 97 Ford Windstar Van. The total cost for two assemblies was around $60 and even included new bulbs. They were a vast improvement over the originals.
X2 on this. I replaced mine for about $60 also. Probably takes less time than trying to restore.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

3M makes a kit that works great. Any Auto parts should carry it.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #7

jiffy lufbe offers headlight restoration for $25.00 ( in oregon ) i had my pick ups oil changed the other other day and they were doing the lights on a class c . one side looked like new and the other they were just starting on was completely oblique.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #8

spray deep woods off on the lens and wipe off in a couple seconds. does knot last for ever but just repeat when needed.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:37 PM   #9

I bought new ones on Ebay.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
spray deep woods off on the lens and wipe off in a couple seconds. does knot last for ever but just repeat when needed.
X2 try it you shall be pleasantly surprised.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqutus View Post
spray deep woods off on the lens and wipe off in a couple seconds. does not last forever but just repeat when needed.
Applying 303 Aerospace Protectant after cleaning with OFF extends the life.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:18 AM   #12

Had a national company called Headlight Doctor do mine. Cost was a $100. They sanded several times than sprayed a clear sealant over them. Lifetime guarantee nationwide. Best money I spent. They look brand new.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 PM   #13

I just did my headlights, taillights, and (4) 22.5 rims in about 2hrs with Flitz. I have used the bug spray but this works better. EZ on EZ off then I used there 7" ball on my cordless drill to polish.
https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-BU-0351...z+metal+polish
https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-WB201-X.../dp/B0015SCLNA
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:38 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Get some Arm and Hammer whitening toothpaste. Clears up the headlights in no time at all.

Tags
light