RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Foggy Windows again!

I know this topic has been talked about in depth, however I did a couple of my own windows and they worked great last summer. I went to the D the other day and found that the windows had moisture in between the panes again. I've looked at a few different options of having someone redo them in a controlled environment or maybe having RV Glass Solutions do a single unit which is laminated. Has anyone had this done or do you have a recommended shop I can send my IGU to for repair? I know I can trust this group as you've probably been there before, Thanks in advance!

dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2019, 11:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfleetwood View Post
I know this topic has been talked about in depth, however I did a couple of my own windows and they worked great last summer. I went to the D the other day and found that the windows had moisture in between the panes again. I've looked at a few different options of having someone redo them in a controlled environment or maybe having RV Glass Solutions do a single unit which is laminated. Has anyone had this done or do you have a recommended shop I can send my IGU to for repair? I know I can trust this group as you've probably been there before, Thanks in advance!

Unless the windows have been cleaned and inert gas such as argon or krypton injected between the panes, you will get fogging relatively quickly. Ambient air between the panes contains moisture and contaminants and is just like the air that gets sucked into factory windows when the seals eventually fail, causing fogging.

IMO, unless the company doing the replacement can offer a guarantee and states that inert gas is injected between the panes, you will be wasting your money on a short, temporary fix. Properly repaired windows will last as long as factory, but will eventually fail due to vibration from use. The failure will simply be further down the road, so to speak.

Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Unless the windows have been cleaned and inert gas such as argon or krypton injected between the panes, you will get fogging relatively quickly. Ambient air between the panes contains moisture and contaminants and is just like the air that gets sucked into factory windows when the seals eventually fail, causing fogging.
Not quite true. The vast majority of insulated glass (IG) units out there; RV, commercial, and residential, are simply air filled and are not assembled in a controlled environment. The glass spacer contains a desiccant which will absorb any amount of moisture present after manufacturing. Fogging begins when the spacer has broken its seal with the glass allowing outside moisture in which eventually saturates the desiccant. The desiccant can also be saturated from the exterior if the secondary seal has been breached. The secondary seal is usually PVB or silicone.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #4

Try https://coachglass.com/products-rv-s...-and-towables/

Here a statement from them
"Our Laminate glass has a Lifetime Warranty for as long as you own the coach and will never fog up. There is no spacer in this glass which prevents creepy seal from happening. There is about a 10% difference in the thermal insulating factor, we have replaced every side window in numerous coaches and have been told by our customers that they have not been able to tell the difference in the insulating.

Important facts to know when replacing Tempered Glass with Laminate Glass:
1). We are unable to replace exit panels unless they are a slider exit window.
2). We are unable to replace panels in flush mounted windows."

I replaced the driver and passenger side windows. I am pleased.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woo10-210 View Post
Not quite true. The vast majority of insulated glass (IG) units out there; RV, commercial, and residential, are simply air filled and are not assembled in a controlled environment. The glass spacer contains a desiccant which will absorb any amount of moisture present after manufacturing. Fogging begins when the spacer has broken its seal with the glass allowing outside moisture in which eventually saturates the desiccant. The desiccant can also be saturated from the exterior if the secondary seal has been breached. The secondary seal is usually PVB or silicone.

Thanks for the correction.

It seems that whichever method is used to repair dual pane glass, it is important to ask about which method is used, gas or desiccant, and length of warranty. Failure of both types is due to the same cause--seals.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

All but 2 of the 12 insulated windows in our mh had fogging couldn't see out of passangers door, thought about repair it took about 1 minute to decide I only wanted to fix them once I took the motor home to rv glass solutions in colberg ore. they replaced all windows for $4600 with lifetime warrenty aginst fogging and its really nice to be able to see out,we are very happy.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #7

I just had my drivers side and door glass replaced with laminated. I love it. I am going to get the rest done as well this coming fall.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I don't understand replacing a failed concept with a repaired version of a failed concept. I will be replacing mine with single pane laminate. The glass is $18.00 a square foot. I can remove and install the windows myself one at a time and they will install the panes in the window frame for about 75-100 each. This is all through a local auto glass company and I will never have to deal with it again.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I don't understand replacing a failed concept with a repaired version of a failed concept.
There's a difference between a failed concept and a poorly executed concept.
Woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:37 PM   #10

Well2343

If you can live with having single pane glass here is how I got to that point.

I covered the inside pane with duct tape then took a spring loaded punch and shattered the glass --- all the time holding the majority of it together with the duct tape. Using the duct tape saves about 90% of the cleanup as you can remove most of it as one piece. Some detailed cleanup after and I now have a clear window ( after cleanup of course ) for the cost of some duct tape and 30 min of my time.
well2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
I just had my drivers side and door glass replaced with laminated. I love it. I am going to get the rest done as well this coming fall.
Who'd you have do the work?
dcfleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfleetwood View Post
Who'd you have do the work?
Precision Auto Glass Daytona, FL. They replaced the windshields on my coach (one cracked one with a stone chip that spread), while there I asked if they knew anyone that did defogging the rest is history.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataska View Post
All but 2 of the 12 insulated windows in our mh had fogging couldn't see out of passangers door, thought about repair it took about 1 minute to decide I only wanted to fix them once I took the motor home to rv glass solutions in colberg ore. they replaced all windows for $4600 with lifetime warrenty aginst fogging and its really nice to be able to see out,we are very happy.
No Colberg in OR. Try Coburg instead.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #14

I'm not sure where you are located, but Darren Thomas Glass Company in Sebring, Florida replaces dual pane glass with single pane laminate as part of their windshield services.

They have two point hook-ups for their customers on site so you can stay while the work is being performed.

Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window