Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You may wish to look at a NuWave. It won't heat your RV, you can use it inside or out, can cook whole meals on it (timing of when to put each part in and when to turn them over has to be planned), you can put your meat on frozen if you wish, anything from pizza to steaks, chicken, ribs etc. Great for heating up leftovers.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cheryl loves our seal a meal. We fix our favorite meal size portions of chilie, spagetti, chicken&dumplins etc, and seal them up. Stores flat and stays fresh. Electric skilet is a must.

Steve and Cheryl & 3rd crew member Peanut
2000 Winnegago Adventurer w/a Jeep Wrangler Toad
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #17

I would add to pack according to your trip. The last 4 trips we have made I packed plenty of frozen meat, veggies, etc. We ended up bringing most of it home. We always plan on doing more cooking at the camp, but we always seem to end up miles from it at meal time. Part of the DW's master plan???, who knows?

Usually breakfast is the only meal we cook at the MH. I do it all on the gas grill to keep the smell outside......wait a second I do all the cooking. That IS her plan! I just figured it out.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I use a variety of methods when cooking. I find cooking and baking fun so mostly cook from scratch even when on the road.

I do use my crock pot even for desserts and I stir fry alot. We love many kinds of food and find that it helps with our fun to have fun food.

I do use ziplock bags when putting most things into the fridge as it saves a lot of space and even use them for the freezer packing things as flat as I can so more can stack up flat and easily.
Sohapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #19

Wannabe FTer.... I cooked the pork roast with the sweetened condensed milk and coke..... Lol, even had to buy coke .... It was the BEST pork roast ever, and i love pork...... It was good in a tortilla, good hot, good cold..... Thanks
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
One of my favorite appliances is a FoodSaver vacuum sealer. I have an upright one at home and a budget model which fits into a drawer,for the motorhome. You can get resealable zip bags, as well as the freeze and steam bags. Great for gathering berries, successful fishing trips, as well as the usual pre-prepped meals, leftovers etc.

I freeze celery as mentioned above, as well as green pepper rings, or slices, dry onions, sliced as well as diced. (A mandolin makes these tasks easier.) Boil eggs and potatoes (for salad) at home, but keep them separate until you are ready to assemble the salad. Do as much as you can at home before you leave.

JoAnn
1999 National Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley, Washington
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #21

Very interesting input by all...thanks!
TheArnolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:24 PM   #22

I use the computer instead of cook books. There are thousands of ideas there, and no storage!!! The plastic bags are wonderful for storage. Less weight as well as room required.
The crock pot is a lifesaver. I use it all the time.
amyfonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwizi View Post
Wannabe FTer.... I cooked the pork roast with the sweetened condensed milk and coke..... Lol, even had to buy coke .... It was the BEST pork roast ever, and i love pork...... It was good in a tortilla, good hot, good cold..... Thanks
I have not tried this with sweetened condensed milk, just the plain evaporated milk, maybe next time I will try this

I my crock pot!

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #24

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Vacuum sealers are the heat . In saying that, spend the money on a GOOD SEALER not a china made at a discount store.

I have worn out three of the "Name brand" sealers till I started my research and visited forums on hunting, fishing and cooking. It seems that the NB sealers after a year or so would not vacuum, or seal correctly and air would get to the food, therefore causing damage. Their recommendations was a stainless sealer from Cabela's. Although it's a bit pricey around $300, it last! Mine is now going on it's 6th year and is used in the S&B almost daily. And, there are replacement seals and gaskets for just a couple of bucks. I prefer to use the quality sealing bags. Loose a hundred pounds of shrimp or a side of beef and see just how long it takes you to recoup the cost.

The CON: it's heavy. That is because it's well made. So it doesn't go along in the MH.

My solution for the MH is a Ziplock vacuum pump sealer. Very inexpensive, stores easily, and is great for left overs. Another storage solution is plastic jars that nuts come in from Cosco and Sam's. Large mouth, square sided with a screw on top. They are clear plastic so you can see what is inside or write on them with a marking pen.

Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:56 PM   #25

Oops thought you said sweetened milk.... Nthis had almost a bbq flavor. Deeeelicious
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage