Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2016, 11:25 PM   #1

For a trip to Alaska, stick with the old rig or go with the new one???

I'm tired of waiting to finally buy or next, last coach for our two to three month trip from San Diego to Alaska.

There in-lies the question: Hearing all of the statements of requiring protection on the front of your MH and toad, from the experience of other who have made this trip - and possible gone through this same/similar decision criteria, would you travel with your older (but in excellent condition) coach and not worry about the possible dings, or get the new-to-us coach and make the drive in more comfort and luxury? And not worry about the possible dings by buying sufficient front-end protection.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 01:31 AM   #2

We had Diamond Shield installed on the front of our motorhome when we bought it and didn't get any damage.

Think about the car behind you if you're towing. We just had mud flaps behind our tires but we heard many complaints about the across the rear stiff vanity flaps and actually saw some removing the flap. They had gone through a construction area and the flap caused a layer of rock to lay at the base of the toad's windshield. We went over to look. Their hoods were pitted. We didn't gat any damage for our all-summer trip - no windshield cracks, no dings and no tire issues. We bought new tires before crossing the border.

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 AM   #3

Take the old rig. Evan if you don't get any dings the amount of miles on rough roads will put a lot of wear on your new rig.

Or it would be a quick way to SHAKE down the new rig except warranty work could be tough to schedule.

good luck

pointrow
Old 09-13-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

We bought a 2016 Phaeton in Feb and are on our way home from a 2 month tripmto Ak. Take the new one. We did get a couple stars in the windsheild but it had got a big crack before we even left for Ak. I tow a Jeep and didnt do anything to protect it as i didnt care if it got rock damamge. I did put screen over the openings between fender and bumper on Jeep to keep it from throwing rocks forward at the MH.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Alaska

In June I rode from the east coast to Homer Alaska. Went up on the Alcan, returned via the Cassier to Prince Rupert. There are more motorcycles and motorhomes on those highways than cars and trucks.

The roads were all excellent EXCEPT from just north of Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek Yukon. About 40 miles of construction underway. Maybe it's been paved in the last 2 months, I don't know.

Go for it. I think I'll take my MH up next year.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #6

Is your next last coach going to be a DP or another gasser?

If you really want a newer coach then get it... Life is to short

No reason as others have stated your present coach can't make it.

I hope to make that trip someday, long drive from Ohio
Old 09-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #7

We have made 11 trips in the last 10 years with a variety of towables and tow vehicles. No flat tires, no windshield damage, modest paint chips on the towables. If you can drive I-15 (Thump, Thump, Thump) don't worry about the road north. There are a lot of motorhomes that travel to Alaska. One that is memorable was the Prevost towing a Chevy with a large slide-in camper this past summer. It was in the Fred Meyer parking lot in Soldotna, and we walked over to look, no obvious damage to either. There were another dozen or so DPs in the lot at the time.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

In 2014 my brother and I made the trip to Fairbanks-Anchorage-Homer - me from Seattle in a 1996 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster, F53 chasis, 460 Ford gasser, and him from Kentucky in a 2007 Fleetwood Revolution DP towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We both put on a set of new tires. Neither of us had any windshield damage. I got a few minor chips in the paint, but he had a bra on his and no damage.

The Alcan from Dawson Creek to Fairbanks for the most part is fair, however, watch out for frost heaves and potholes. The very worst part for us was from Whitehorse, YT to the Alaska border. It's a great ADVENTURE so take your time and enjoy the view!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackman View Post
In June I rode from the east coast to Homer Alaska. Went up on the Alcan, returned via the Cassier to Prince Rupert. There are more motorcycles and motorhomes on those highways than cars and trucks.

The roads were all excellent EXCEPT from just north of Destruction Bay to Beaver Creek Yukon. About 40 miles of construction underway. Maybe it's been paved in the last 2 months, I don't know.

Go for it. I think I'll take my MH up next year.
GOOD GOD!!!! That same 40 miles was under construction in July and August of 2015 when I went through in my motorhome. Maybe the washboard, potholes and gravel are the final pavement!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:46 PM   #10

I'd not make the decision to buy, or not to buy, a new rig based upon a trip to Alaska. Make a financial, and or heart felt decision, regardless of Alaska or not.

That being said. We took our 'Retirement Coach' to Alaska in 2014. And yeah, same the stretch from North of Whitehorse up thru and pass Destruction bay, was pretty much the norm ice heaves wise, from all of the research we did prior to leaving. We just broke the stretch from Whitehorse to Alaska up into two slow and steady days of driving!

We did get one chip on the windshield in Fort Nelson area, due to an impatient worker from many of the fracking locations int he area around the Pink Mountains in that year. (Could still be going on, or the camps and gang could have moved on by now.). Got it patched, and interestingly, picked up such a spider hit on our way South thru Oregon, that we ended up replacing that side of the windscreen.

Flash forward to 2015 travels, and a Highway 99 pothole that I could not avoid due to traffic, and could only slow down to 50 MPH before making contact. Missed it with the front right tire, but again due to traffic and two vehicles on the side of the road, could not miss it with the right rear. Outside of the dual, and the Tag, were damaged. Broken cord in one, and a bruised cord in the other. These were about 5 year old tires at the time, and Alaska did not do them in!

My message here? Plan and prep properly. But go and have a good time. Old coach, or new coach - that should be independent on Alaska...

Just my $.02!

Have a blast,
Smitty
Old 09-17-2016, 06:14 AM   #11

I would not take the new rig unless I had ample time for a good shakedown/ break in period before departure. However, I also would not let concern over (maybe) a few dings keep me from enjoying a new rig.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:31 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
It's really a mater of your own preference.
We had the same question last year. We had planned an Alaska trip for early summer 2015, then we got the bug to trade up to a new Allegro Bus from our 2012 Tiffin RED. We decided to wait about the trade until after the AK trip. I'm glad we did. Even though we had little to no dings or damage (one minor windshield chip) the coach and the toad were covered with mud or dust, and the dickens to get clean after we got home.
We washed both three times on the trip, but there was still dust settling out of the toad doors this past year when we traded it.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:15 AM   #13

haven't made the trip myself but 2 friends just returned. There tow cars were badly damaged even with protection from the motorhome. Problems with truckers throwing rocks.
coaches suffered dings and broken windshields. Personally I would never take a newer coach on that trip if the old one can make it. JMHO.
Susie and John
Old 09-17-2016, 11:13 PM   #14

To be clear - I should have stated this in my original post - we are not making a decision of go-or-no-go based on the rig. We are going no matter which coach we have come July 2017.

This is more of a question out of curiosity. Obviously I don't want to ruin either coach. But it would be far less costly in a 17 year old rig that we know intimately (bought new) than a newer coach (to us) in the $110k to $200k range. Knowing me, I'd really baby the newer one far more than the older one. Pure economics.

Lots of really good info in the above thread. Hopefully more coming.

Thanks