Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Since my wife's favorite thing to make for dinner is "reservations"...

I'll give you my 2 cents
I wouldn't trade my combo for anything else. We, i mean I, cook pizza, biscuits, breads, casseroles, cookies or anything we would normally cook in oven. Preheat to temp and cook at temp, set time n walk away.

PS. Now the "bun in the oven"... That's something she has perfected! (3 beautiful girls and one more player to be named later)

2007 Travel Supreme Select Limited
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The problem with the gas ovens is that they are so SMALL. I was whining about having the convection combo and no gas oven, but my sister set me straight. Her moho has the gas oven and she uses it for storage.

Has your wife seen the size of the gas ovens?

Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Monaco Owners Club
When we bought our coach it did't have a gas oven but did have the combo. The combo didn't have the proper racks in it. We bake all our own breads and such because of diet restrictions and the results were not that good. We installed a gas oven and like it just fine. Yes they are small but it works well for us. We have since found the proper rack for the convection oven and have baked with it and it worked well. WE boondock alot and find the gas oven is good in that respect as we don't have to run the genset. Good luck in your search.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #18
DW was the one that spotted this coach and fell in love with the color. She was ready for us to buy until she found out there was no oven. It was a deal breaker for her. They threw in a Amana three burner stove with a oven and I agreed to install it. We use the coach year around and she uses both the oven and the convection. I don't cook and the oven deal was non negotiable with her (-:

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #19
My DW would not touch the convection for three years! Now she loves it! She bakes strawberry cobbler that is fantastic. The biscuits are quite good and is everything else. Get her to try it. I remember years ago when this new fangled thang came out called a "electric oven"!
336muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #20
She now uses the convection as well as the conventional one. She is a great cook and we are both in our 70's so she is pretty well set in her ways (-: It has taken a while but she has found uses for it.

jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
We have the convection/mw combo, and have not found a single time we wished for a conventional oven.
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Newmar Owners Club
We have the convection/microwave as well - DW still can't figure out how to cook potatoes. There must be a resource out there somewhere that I can share with her as everybody I talk to loves theirs
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sometime before we ordered our present DSDP my wife saw a demo of the GE Advantium, so we ordered it, have never been sorry. And we gained two extra drawers for storage.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #24
My wife loves the convection/microwave. We never lit the little oven in our first MH she never liked the gas oven and now she has two more drawers to store which she really needed.
Acropilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers

One more vote for the convection/mw. We had the oven in the 2 previous rv's and while we did use them, we were not all that happy with them. Uneven heating in both of them was the primary complaint.

We ordered our current rv with the combo convection/mw, a 3 burner propane cooktop and no oven. There are storage drawers in the space the oven would have been. That was 7 years ago. We love our choice and would never return to a propane rv oven.

By the way, the wife even uses the convection/mw on occasion.

chaperon- have you tried just microwaving the spuds? We don't microwave them all the time but it has worked well for us.
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have both. When the rig was new to use we used the gas oven exclusively. Now we hardly use it. DW discovered convection and combination cooking and says that the next rig does not need another gas oven.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix) Formerly of Bellingham,WA'05 Winnebago Journey 36G. FL-XC, Cat 350, aero muffler, AFE filter, 4 FSD Koni's, ultra track bell, SafeT+, FMCA397030, WIT 129107
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #27
National RV Owners Club
In my humble opinion, the only good gas oven I ever had in a motorhome was an eye level one in a wonderful old Commander motorhome. We just got our first combo in our recently purchased pre-owned coach, so I can not comment that way. I did use the eye level oven, but not the gas ovens in subsequent coaches.

I am pleased to hear the positive comments regarding the combo.

ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We've had two coaches with nothing but a GE Profile convection oven and my wife is very happy with it. That's 10 years of RVing in which we spend 5-7 months a year living in the coach, so you know we have done serious cooking in it.

We know of a few people who say they can't live without the gas oven, but we never found the gas oven to be all that great anyway. They are small and do not heat evenly, often scorching one area while leaving another undercooked.

Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote