Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
For the ladies- Opinions on convection ovens

We are looking at going to a Class A, and many of them have the combination convection/microwave ovens without a regular gas oven. My wife thinks she could never live with this and that we would have to install a gas oven. We would like the HONEST opinions of those that use only the convection oven without a gas oven. Thanks!

Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
I'd let my wife chime in but she has never turned on the gas stove or oven just the convection and micro.

2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As the "end user" (I don't cook), I can tell you that my wife has no problems with this combo. We supplement it with the NuWave IR cooker which produces amazingly tasty food. At home we have an oven, MW, convection, cooktop and she still uses the NuWave quite a bit.
Denny & Kylene, Abby (Golden) and Josie (Sheltie),
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, W22, Ultrapower
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:50 AM   #4
National RV Owners Club
We did the same thing - insisted on a real oven even though there was a microwave / convection. After we read the instructions for the convection and started using it, we discovered we never used the gas oven anymore. A month ago we removed the gas oven and put in a dishwasher.

So, we use the convection exclusively and have no use for a gas oven.

It might depend on what you bake.

2008 National Pacifica 40D + 2007 Odyssey & 2 Segways
FMCA #F415856 & Thousand Trails Elite
Right, left, straight, or stay....decision of the day
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
What's Cook'n

Ours came with the micro/convection combo and we both like to cook. After using it last summer on a 5000 mile one month trip, we decided to remove one drawer and also install an Amana gas range. Now we can prepare meals that require different temperatures for various dishes. If you do not like to take a lot of time cooking the micro/convection works just fine. We are going full time in July and so our needs may be different than yours. DACOTAH
Full time since March 2012!!
Dacotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well I am not a lady, but I can tell you that the Microwave/convection oven combo will do what a conventional gas oven will do and do it better! On my last outing I made biscuits in the convection oven and they were perfectly golden brown on the surfaces. ( a uniform golden surface) which you will not see with a conventional oven. You really do not need a gas range if you have a convection oven.
2006 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE 35' Ford Chassis
Benny367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our's has both and oven and micro/convection combo. I use the convection to bake and the micro for fast cooking. I've never turned on the propane oven. We use it for storage. I wish it were actually cabinet space. I wouldn't worry about not having an oven. The convection bakes more evenly and is much easier to use.
Jim and Janet
Shih Tzus Coco and Peaches
jrmez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry guys! I guess I should have known that many men cook as well as women! As the old saying goes, I can't even boil water! Anyway, your opinions are appreciated too!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #9

I also thought i could not live without my real oven...... WRONG... I love my micro/convection and i have a hone ec degree and am a major cooker/baker.....
I can do anything in my convection..... Baking is not a problem..... HONEST.....
Diane & Larry, (RVM64) our Westies LitaBit & QTπ
(Diwizi)retired educator,watercolor artist / (Zeelarry)ARMY ret
2016 BerkshireXL 40RB, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Diwizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
When we looked at the Tiffin Allegro Bus it only had a 2 burner stove and no oven with the convection microwave. DW said absolutely NO. She cooks and wanted the 3 burner stove with gas oven. The gas unit was especially important as we boondock for weeks at a time and she didn't think running the generator for hours at a time was a good idea. The dealer switched out the counter top and the stove/oven was done. I've never been sorry and neither has she. Wouldn't go any other way. And yes, she uses the gas oven 3 burners and the convection microwave all the time.

2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Thor Owners Club
Last RV show DW and I went too 3 weeks ago, I noticed that some rigs are not coming with installed gas ovens. I was talking to my DW about replacing the range and eliminating the gas oven. I am going too replace the microwave with a convection micro-wave. Thought if I need an oven badly enough I'll use my Weber Q200 which has a thermometer on it.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
We have a 20 year old Sharp Carousel micro/convection in our mh. After using it for 2 months straight, my wife and I like it better than a conventional oven. It heat up super fast and the carousel turning the food means everything get even heating.

I'd rather have the space for storage than a regular oven anyday.

1989 Barth Regal 25, P32 454
BonesBarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Tiffin Owners Club
I had the gas oven/cooktop in my previous coach and cooked in it a lot from 2004 thru 2009. Now I have the microwave/convection combo and no gas oven with a 3 burner gas cooktop. I noticed several differences:
1. the gas oven inside space for the food & pan is really small and would burn things on the bottom quite often because I had to place it on the lowest rail to fit.
2. the convection oven cooks everything I cooked in the gas oven only it cooks much more evenly.
3. the space where the oven was in the old coach is great storage in the new one and I like having that area for pots and pans rather than having to dig them out from the storage under the dinette.
4. the convection oven cooks a lot faster.
5. it took me a while to figure out the timing on the convection oven.
6. convection has a lot of neat features I use on a regular basis such as thaw, then cook, mixed microwave and convection cooking.
7. the convection oven leaves foods much more moist than the gas did.

Where I thought I could not function without my gas oven, I found I adjusted just fine and like the convection so much better.
Mel (Melanie) and Harry
2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
I agree with everyone about the convection oven, I use it for everything that needs to be baked and Everything that I have baked comes out great. I don't even use my oven in my stick house. the DW

2005 Newmar DSDP 4320/ 2008 Jeep Liberty
3 1940 Ford Conv+1 in a basket (under Const.) Newest car 1941 Lincoln Zypher sedan.
Lake Havasu City, AZ
1940 ford is offline   Reply With Quote