Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dls461
I would get is squared away!
I paid $353.50 for registration and $14.50 for state inspection for my DP . As stated earlier, it will make a difference on your state inspection requirements and you will spend more time than necessary at DMV trying to explain next year. Take your title that shows a diesel vehicle and have them correct in the system.
Don't overlook the Class B license requirements if you are over 26,000 lbs.
X2 on the license but they don't ask for it except for check cashing purposes. I was doing a purchase - first Texas registration when hit with the 1% as stated. Funny thing - when they asked for proof of insurance they said any of my Tx motor vehicle insurance cards would do - wasn't even specific to the MH which I did have, but found it kind of odd. That's Tx for ya. Tip of the hat and wave of the hand.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Martin, Don't block the road on the way out. As a 59 yr old native we are heading out very soon. Too many leaners and not enough pushers here anymore. No fun running a business anymore.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Why so high? We are going to be registering our MH in NV and after talking with the DMV we got an estimate of roughly $142 a year.
My motor home is in the shop (once again) getting warranty work done, so I do not have the registration to break it down...but I paid through the nose, $2,019.00. You can go to the Nevada DMV website and get an estimate. I pay $280.00 a year for my Harley in Nevada...
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
My motor home is in the shop (once again) getting warranty work done, so I do not have the registration to break it down...but I paid through the nose, $2,019.00. You can go to the Nevada DMV website and get an estimate. I pay $280.00 a year for my Harley in Nevada...
Did you buy it new or from a dealer in Nevada?

I am buying a used RV in CA but will be registering it in NV since I have a home there as well as CA and when I went to the Nevada DMV website it tells me I'll pay $117.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #19

We just registered our 2001 XC360 Airstream diesel pusher for 2012, $218.50. I believe it will vary from county to county, we are in Bexar county
Wekcome to Texas
Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
my texas rv reg fee is 3 per year

my registration does not specify gas or diesel just gross wt and empty weight( which are the same?) and its classified as a passenger vehicle
if your a veteran and have a rating of 50% or higher your first vehicle tag is 3 bux, so we always make sure the heavier on is the 3

my folks bounder 2004 38 footer is 240 something

i do have a class b non cdl though
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
Did you buy it new or from a dealer in Nevada?

I am buying a used RV in CA but will be registering it in NV since I have a home there as well as CA and when I went to the Nevada DMV website it tells me I'll pay $117.
Are you using this calculator? click here

Nevada is notoriously expensive for motorhome registration. I'm not sure if it's more than California or not but still pretty expensive. You must have a very old RV that that had a fairly low MSRP when new to only have to pay $117 a year for registration.

When using that calculator, you don't have to put in the VIN number or any other personal information just to get a quote. All you have to designate is 1) county, 2) vehicle type, 3) vehicle year, and 4) vehicle MSRP and it will give you the estimated registration amount for the current year.

Clark County is a bit higher than the rest of the state but, still, in general, Nevada is going to have very high registration fees for newer motorhomes.

For example if we put our unit in the calculator, a 2007 Itasca Meridian, Clark County, and an MSRP of approximately 205,000 when new, it calculates to $1,648. Two years ago, it would have been substantially over $2,000.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post

Nevada is notoriously expensive for motorhome registration. I'm not sure if it's more than California or not but still pretty expensive. You must have a very old RV that that had a fairly low MSRP when new to only have to pay $117 a year for registration.

When using that calculator, you don't have to put in the VIN number or any other personal information just to get a quote. All you have to designate is 1) county, 2) vehicle type, 3) vehicle year, and 4) vehicle MSRP and it will give you the estimated registration amount for the current year.

Clark County is a bit higher than the rest of the state but, still, in general, Nevada is going to have very high registration fees for newer motorhomes.

For example if we put our unit in the calculator, a 2007 Itasca Meridian, Clark County, and an MSRP of approximately 205,000 when new, it calculates to $1,648. Two years ago, it would have been substantially over $2,000.
If you buy used you don't put the msrp you put the price you paid.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post

Michigan is the same. They just want year, make and model or vin and they will tell you what the MSRP is and charge accordingly. AND is does not go down with age.
EX. $354k msrp (2013 DSDP) would cost $1445. $419k MSRP (2007 CC Allure) would cost $1774. A YEAR.

Wonder if I can register it in TX using my dad's address? (same name).
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
my texas rv reg fee is 3 per year

my registration does not specify gas or diesel just gross wt and empty weight( which are the same?) and its classified as a passenger vehicle
if your a veteran and have a rating of 50% or higher your first vehicle tag is 3 bux, so we always make sure the heavier on is the 3

my folks bounder 2004 38 footer is 240 something

i do have a class b non cdl though
I was under the impression it was 60%. Point me in the right direction if wrong. I was wron.......er mistaken once.

The first two vehicles can be registered at the lower disability rate of $3, ($4 if by mail.) and all subsequent vehicles pay the full price. The still can all have DV or handicap plates. My MH and TOAD are each $3, and DW's car is full price but still has DV plates for me. (Joint ownership)
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #25

[QUOTE=flaggship1;1427088]Ok - I'm with you up to not "anti-diesel". When I registered my new to me '08 purchased in NM I had figured my purchase expenses pretty closely. Got to registration expecting to pay 6.25% on purchase price and found there was an additional 1% diesel emission tax on purchase price on top of the 6.25%. QUOTE]

We live near San Antonio. We have purchased 5 DPs in the last 4 yrs. On our third purchase we were charged the extra 1% diesel tax when we registered it. A week later we noticed we were NOT charged this extra 1% diesel tax on our first 2 purchases. We went back to the tax office and questioned them about this. They did a little homework and determined that the extra 1% only applies to commercial use vehicles, not private use vehicles. We were told how to apply for a refund, mailed in the forms to the state, and got our 1% refund. Since then, we've bought 2 more DPs and they have tried to charge us the extra 1%. I've reminded them that we are private, not commercial, so the extra 1% doesn't apply, and we haven't had to pay it.

We hope this helps
Old 01-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Loneatarace - I will look into this for sure. Believe me I questioned it at the time. I said where is that in writing. I read the entire web site on registration and did not see this in that section. The lady working the next window said "We don't have anything to do with the website." I thought - WoW. Paid the money cause what else was I going to do? I thought I had gone back and read about the emission "tax" and found I did owe it based on '08 year and non-DEF but I may have misread. I think these things are intentionally written to confuse. Looks like I will be reading again! Could use that 1% for sure.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I did some more research and in many places it appears that the "surcharge" applies to all motor vehicles operated on road but in another I found this...

In addition, there is a surcharge on diesel-powered motor vehicles with a gross vehicle registered weight exceeding 14,000 pounds (152.0215. Texas Emissions Reduction Plan Surcharge)

Effective January 3, 2002, a 2.5 percent surcharge is assessed on model year vehicles 1996 and earlier on vehicles purchased in Texas only

Effective July 1, 2003, there is a two-tier surcharge on both new and used vehicles
2.5 percent surcharge on model year vehicles 1996 and earlier — assessed on both vehicles purchased in Texas and purchased out-of-state
1 percent surcharge on model year vehicles 1997 and later — assessed on both vehicles purchased in Texas and purchased out-of-state

Effective September 1, 2005, the surcharge does not apply to a non-commercial recreation vehicle

Web updates being what they are - this 2005 waiver may or may not be in effect at this time. But this did come from an official TX DMV site so you can bet I'm printing it out and going to attempt to get my refund.

Busy week next week but will update when I get official word. Thanks folks.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Busy week next week but will update when I get official word. Thanks folks.
Your welcome
Here's the form you'll need 14-202
www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxforms/14-202.pdf

All our vehicles have been yr models 1998 to 2002 and greater than 24k Lbs.

Back in March of 2011 when we went thru this, our point of contact was:

Comptroller of Public Accts.
Revenue Accounting Div.
111 E. 17th St.
Austin, TX 78774
Attn: Angie Bermea/Refund Claims Overpayment Verification Section
Fax# 512-475-5436

We faxed her:
1) form 14-202
2) Copy of signed Bill Of Sale
3) Signed statement detailing how vehicle is used(private personal pleasure)
4) copy of Title Application Receipt
and
5) for direct deposit of the refund TX form# 74-221
www.window.state.tx.us/taxinfo/taxforms/74-221.pdf

PS: we sold our 2000 Sig a month ago. We went with the buyer to our local tax office and made certain they weren't charged the 1% diesel tax.

Tags
texas