Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
For those who register in Texas

We moved from California to Texas, registration dropped from $2400 to $353. I was so happy I did not pay close attention to the paperwork. I got my renewal notice the other day and while looking it over I noticed "fuel type" listed as gas. I am wondering if the fuel type were listed as diesel would the registration fees be less. I am hesitant to ask at the county tax office in case it may cost more. Does any one who has registered in Texas have any experience with this. Thanks in advance for any comments.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #2

Rexhall Owners Group
$2400!!! Can't help out here but keep us informed. My wife and I are in the prep stage of packing up and moving out of California to either Arizona, Nevada or New Mexico where perhaps we can survive on a lower income.

Martin
Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Can't help you on the $$$ difference in registration fees, but it ties into the Texas state computer system since certain gas vehicles <25 years old require emissions checks in EPA non-attainment areas and diesels don't. When we undergo our annual vehicle inspections and the inspector enters the VIN into his computer, it flags whether or not an emissions check is required based on county of registration, fuel type, vehicle type, vehicle age, etc.

Texas isn't California - we're not anti-diesel here, so the registration fee differential (if any) isn't trying to discourage anyone from owning a diesel vehicle.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Can't help you on the $$$ difference in registration fees, but it ties into the Texas state computer system since gas vehicles <25 years old require emissions checks in EPA non-attainment areas and diesels don't. When we undergo our annual vehicle inspections and the inspector enters the VIN into his computer, it flags whether or not an emissions check is required based on county of registration, fuel type, vehicle type, vehicle age, etc.

Texas isn't California - we're not anti-diesel here, so the registration fee differential (if any) isn't trying to discourage anyone from owning a diesel vehicle.

Rusty
Ok - I'm with you up to not "anti-diesel". When I registered my new to me '08 purchased in NM I had figured my purchase expenses pretty closely. Got to registration expecting to pay 6.25% on purchase price and found there was an additional 1% diesel emission tax on purchase price on top of the 6.25%. Granted it is non- recurring (to my knowledge) but that did sting a bit at the time.

I believe you will find that your weight based registration would be the same for gas or diesel. I assume you got the inspection and green sheet and weigh certificate - also very affordable! And the tax folks just overlooked it.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ok - I'm with you up to not "anti-diesel". When I registered my new to me '08 purchased in NM I had figured my purchase expenses pretty closely. Got to registration expecting to pay 6.25% on purchase price and found there was an additional 1% diesel emission tax on purchase price on top of the 6.25%. Granted it is non- recurring (to my knowledge) but that did sting a bit at the time.
OK, I guess since my GVWR is <14,000 lbs, that's why I didn't get nicked when I bought my current truck.

Quote:
For model year 1996 and older the surcharge is 2.5% on diesel powered motor vehicles with a gross vehicle registered weight over 14,000 lbs. For model year 1997 and newer the surcharge is 1% on diesel powered motor vehicles with a gross vehicle registered weight over 14,000 lbs.
Rusty
Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
For Harris County (Houston), vehicle sales tax, license (registration) fees, etc. may be found at www.tax.co.harris.tx.us/Forms/SPMAT-D.pdf

Rusty
Old 01-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
For Harris County (Houston), vehicle sales tax, license (registration) fees, etc. may be found at www.tax.co.harris.tx.us/Forms/SPMAT-D.pdf

Rusty
Thanks I will look into that. Looks like I might get a surcharge of 1%.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
$2400!!! Can't help out here but keep us informed. My wife and I are in the prep stage of packing up and moving out of California to either Arizona, Nevada or New Mexico where perhaps we can survive on a lower income.Martin
My registration fess in Nevada this year were $2,019.00...
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Thanks I will look into that. Looks like I might get a surcharge of 1%.
From the form, it appears that the 1% "kicker" is on the sales tax only. The license (registration) fees on page 2 don't differentiate by fuel type.

Rusty
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Move to Tennessee 2011 Dutch Star registration $125.00 including $50 county wheel tax and $35 National Parks Tag. Plus no state income tax.

Terry
2011 Dutch Star #4344 - 2014 Buick Enclave W/Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar and base-plate
SMI Air Force One brake
Terry43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC

From the form, it appears that the 1% "kicker" is on the sales tax only. The license (registration) fees on page 2 don't differentiate by fuel type.

Rusty
Yep! And it was a surprise as the info as I was looking at online was in 2 places on their site.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love TX

We live 2 counties from Dallas. Any adjacent county to a major city requires emission testing. Inspection is $14.50/yr (when I remember to do it). Plates/registration is $122/yr. No state income tax. Lower fuel taxes. Nice winter weather.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
My registration fess in Nevada this year were $2,019.00...
Why so high? We are going to be registering our MH in NV and after talking with the DMV we got an estimate of roughly $142 a year.
Zoafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM   #14

I would get is squared away!
I paid $353.50 for registration and $14.50 for state inspection for my DP . As stated earlier, it will make a difference on your state inspection requirements and you will spend more time than necessary at DMV trying to explain next year. Take your title that shows a diesel vehicle and have them correct in the system.
Don't overlook the Class B license requirements if you are over 26,000 lbs.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas