Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-01-2015, 07:14 AM   #15
How about trading on a more modern unit and make payments. I can make payments with no problem but cant pull 20k out of my hat for an eng like some of the big shots here. Sure just go drive it and enjoy and have a failure in bf egypt ; then what ???
Not everyone that enjoys rv ing has a ready big stash for a new engine. Use your rig for a down payment and keep driving.
ps. I'm now 2000 over what I paid for the ex warranty and have 4yrs to go. Ha!

2013 f150 4x4, 2 pia horses! 2016 phaeton 40 ah and 2015 polaris sling shot
anotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #16
One reason most DP owners say is the reason they have a DP is for longevity, most can go several hundred thousand miles without s major failure . If 93k is a concern for you, maybe a gas unit would be a better option. Just a suggestion . Gas engine is far less expensive to repair & or replace.

stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:16 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would never suggest that you not at least investigate a service contract. I didn't when I first got our Tradewinds and took the advice of many on the RV.net forum and here and put the money in the bank. Between 6 months and 1 year, I spent much, much more on repairs than was in the bank AND all but one of the repairs would have been covered.
I contacted Wholesale warranties in San Diego as they had brokered a service contract for me for my PSD Excursion and they got me a Cornerstone service contract for 48 months or 100,000 miles with a $100 ded. I have had three problems since I got it and all the repairs were covered with no quibbling and the last time in, they did two repairs at the same time and I only had to pay one deductible. Oh, and the repairs were almost three times what I paid for the policy.
I have no interest in either company, just a very satisfied customer.
'01 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
2011 Jeep Liberty
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:47 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
We too have Cornerstone and love it. No regrets.
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 35P
Towing a 2014 Jeep Rubicon 4 Door with a Can Am Maverick XRS 1000 SXS behind the Jeep.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When did it become a sin for a Company to make money? I hope the warranty company makes a profit so they have money to pay my claim if needed. I have a few insurance policies that I hope make money to pay any of my future claims, life insurance, home owners insurance, auto and RV insurance to name a few.

Some people feel the same way about RV dealers, they should suffer a loss on every sale, I hope they make a profit so they will be there when I get ready to buy new.

My 2 cents worth only, flame retardant suit on.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Oil test may or may not show enough to be useful. I've seen cases where the sample was OK and the engine blew shortly thereafter.
Oil analysis has value in predicting future problems only if it's done on a recurring basis. As a former aircraft owner, I know that it's commonplace in the aircraft industry, where stakes are somewhat higher. Business picks up exponentially when an engine fails when airborne. Owners use oil analysis to enhance their awareness of what's happening in their engines and deal with problems early.

Done at each oil change, oil analysis can show wear patterns, and also show if critical metals are wearing, and at what wear rate. Some wear metal is normal, but if valve stems or crankshaft journal bearings are showing accelerated wear, oil analysis will usually provide early warning in time to prevent serious unpleasantness.

Oil analysis companies provide written analysis from each sample submitted, with suggested actions if any are warranted. Oil analysis has its place, but generally only to predict trends and warn of potential future issues.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #21
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Am I missing something, we haven't had a "Extended Warranty Plan" for the last six years, I am not about to stop RV'ing.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #22
I don't get it either. Am I supposed to stop rving because I don't have an extended warranty?
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
I, too, do not understand the "sky is falling" opinion as to the lack of extended warranty. Has the OP owned the coach since new, or for the majority of those 95k mi?

If so, then the intricacies of the coach's running gear should be well know and the future can be predicted by the past performance.

Now, if the OP doesn't take care of the coach, runs double the recommendation as to fluid change intervals, runs hard and hot, well, then dump the pos and buy something warrantable.

My $0.02.
Dennis & Laney Laughlin, RVing with 2 kids under 4!
1998 American Tradition 40VS - Spartan IC Chassis with IFS - Cummins 6C8.3L 300HP
dlaughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:49 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I have been self insured for the past 12 years. I am money ahead.

The first service warranty would have cost me $5000, the second would have been $8000 and there is no third as the coach is too old.

I certainly have not spent $13,000 dollars plus any deductibles I would have had to pay in addition to the cost of the warranty to fix stuff on my coach.

I probably have paid a lot more in stuff where I have wanted to upgrade to make the coach "mine" in addition to the normal stuff that needs to be replaced but the bottom line is I am a lot further ahead than giving all that money to someone else that will then determine whether they will cover it or not. And generally the answer is NOT.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Not to argue with the DR...but Good Sam keeps sending me ES plans for my 2001 DYNASTY $115 a mo $1,000 deduct...I still ain't biten. I don't trust them....They are betting I won't have a problem, so I'll go with that.

Hey Richard, how's the trip to Alaska going. Are you there yet?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:55 PM   #26
Insurance. Remember, your betting somethings going to go wrong, the insurance company is betting something isn't. YOUR BETTING AGAINST YOURSELF! Do the proper maintenance and care and the odds are on your side.
ecarbone51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:37 PM   #27
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I have been self insured for the past 12 years. I am money ahead.
We were too, until a couple months ago.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:54 AM   #28
I agree with everyone, it is insurance. Like all insurance, the insurance company spends a ton of money calculating their oportunity to lose. The deck is stacked in in their favor. The primary difference, if there is a loss, they can pay the bill and not be broke.

I think this has its place. We just bought a used motorcoach. We think we know it has been taken care of, but you just don't know why it was traded, what the previous owner experience was, and or if there was a problem that haunted them.

We intend to get a high deductable coverage policy to cover our risk of a major surprise. Depends on how much we get to use the unit, but will maintain that coverage till we have enough experience with our new MH that we build confidence in its reliability.

Not sure we will go with Good Sam or another, but higher deductable policies are much more affordable. Save $2,000 to $3,000 per year on premium, and have a $1,000 single event deductable is not a bad deal. For around $100 a month. If 2-3 appliances died in the same year I suppose you lose. Not likely. If the big major engine failure occurs, your out a grand.

Case in point, years ago we bought a GE Advantium oven for our stick house. 1 year warrantee and the oven died, GE replaced it, and we took the extended warrantee. The oven was replaced at their cost 3 times in 6 years, covered by the extended warranty. Never did get confidence in that oven, never let the policy expire. It is a $1,600 oven, we won, insurance loss.

Get a warrenty and use it wisely. If you lose you lose a little, if they lose they pay a lot.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote