Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Ford 460 to 6.8

1) Is it possible to put a new 6.8 v-10 with a Torque-Shift tranny into an pre 1999 model Class A that currently has a 460 v-8?
2) If not, will a new 6.8 (3 valve) and Torque-Shift tranny swap into place with an older 6.8 (2 valve)?

Lately I have seen a couple of older Pace Arrows that are still in pretty good condition, but I know that they are way under powered.

Will the Banks Power upgrade for the original 6.8 make it preform similar to the newer 3 valve engine?

Charles & Regina Nichols & Maggie Mae
2008 Ford F-250 CC 5.4L 3.73
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30SKP
chazworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Chazworth, I am pretty new to all of this, my experience is limited to leasing a few RV's over the years but I can tell you this. I have a 1996 32' pace arrow with a 460 in it, it has under 15K on it. Power is really not a problem, hills with a trailer (8'X12' with 2 motorcycles and related gear) typically no problem. Granted it pulls it down some, but under ordinary curcumstances it will move on down the road at 70 pretty easily. I typically set the cruise at 62 and it rewards me with 8ish MPG. I would imagine the new motors being more efficient (power and economy) but hardly worth the associated headache I would imagine?

YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
iRV2 No Limits Club
We put a Banks kit on a '98 460, made a huge difference in power but nowhere near to being enough as far as I was concerned. No measurable difference in fuel mileage either so it didn't get a bunch worse!
I don't think changing the engine/trans would be worth it unless they were already bad and even then the cost of having it done might be prohibitive. If you can do the work yourself and get a "donor" vehicle cheap then maybe it'd be worth it.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Any engine swap is possible in the auto world...but is it worth it?

I know a guy with a GM Crate 502BigBlock in an old GMC front wheel drive RV - Very Cool!

Besides the change of all the mounts (requires a metal fab project), the newer engine/tranny sets are fully computer controlled, so would need the entire electrical loom from a donor vehicle - and - the fuel delivery system has to be changed for the high pressure injection system (often a loop system that has a high pressure return line). The gearing in the axle might need to be changed too (depending on the original ratio).

It is generally accepted that an engine swap from old tech (carb) to new tech (Fuel Injection) would cost starting at 4 times the cost of a rebuild of the original motor.

Upgrading the original motor and tranny with heavy duty parts, plus adding a Gear Vendor over/under-drive is often less expensive and easier for a DIY type owner.
Gear Vendors under/overdrive transmissions the most awarded auxiliary transmissions.

And finally with RV's, the cost of doing an engine/tranny swap often makes upgrading to a "new-to-you" gently owned unit a better deal.

Hope that helps.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
I think trading for a coach with a later model chassis is a better option since you get the motor and transmission already (I think the transmission is supposed to have another gear vs the one for the 460) and heavier duty axles and wheels, possibly better fuel mileage. My coach is 32ft 460, seems to have plenty of power but the 16" tires are right on the verge of being overloaded, I figure the axles are as well
redfire312 is offline   Reply With Quote