Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Ford 460 Tune up

Hi All
Have ford 460, 32k. Bought with 28k. completed oil, trany, a/c etc. changed.
Looking to have a tune up performed hopefully in west houston area. Been to Camper world for two problems. One a ever so small tear in rubber roof. Diagnosis-CW says I need a 4900 roof. Talked about shifting problem. CW instant diagnosis, need new transmision, I said "WoW" you are good. never seen or test drove and came up with diagnosis.
Is there a perfered where to have it done? Truck stop, local mechanic, dealer etc. Is there a Motor and transmission combination recomended? Runs fine, 2000 rpm 50 mph.. Great on long flat roads but with slight incline nit keeps down shifting like a passing gear. Over all runs good. just would loke 58 or so as comfort cruising range.
97 Southwind
Headed to Ariz Soon.
Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Ford 460 tune up

It is a Ford thing !

We have owned Ford's for a long time and they are all slow on uphill climbs whether small or large.. that is my opinion of coure
Bought a new full size van in '84, and it would 'bog' down going over the ship channel bridge in Houston.. We just got used to it and remembered to get in the slow lane when a 'good climb' came up.. it is the same with the MH now.. otherwise,, on flatland,, it is a cruiser..
As to getting work done on your MH , I would suggest going to a local shop that someone (more than one if not a good friend) would recommend
I agree that was a quick diagnosis you got on the tranny... must have thought they seen words written on your forehead
take care, good luck!

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #3

Hello,
You do not say what year your rig is. I have a 97 national wirh Ford engine that does the same thing and is Normal operation do to this if you have automatic over drive. It is annoying for the constant shifting so on hilling roads I turn off the overdrive which is controlled by button at end of gear shift. Hope this helps
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 460 Ford motorhomes from the 90's are known for the constant downshifting. Part of the issue is lack of power under extra load like pulling hills. You say it runs fine on the flat roads so I'm thinking the tranny is OK. For a full tune up - Air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, maybe plug wires, cap & rotor too. I have no recommendation where to service since I always do my own.

Two things can then reduce the constant downshifting. Installing headers and good exhaust system will really "wake up" that old 460. More power means less downshifting. Banks makes a nice system but is pricey. I put on Hedman coated headers and a full Flowmaster exhaust for less than $1000.

The other item that I've been considering is the Banks TransCommand module which is supposed to improve shift points and quality.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote