Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Chassis

It seems that a lot of mfg are using the 22,000 lb chassis for the larger motor homes. I am seeing 38 ft with stack washer and dryers, big residential refrigerators and wonder how close to the limit they are weight wise? Anybody care to comment. I would think the 24,000 or 26,000 would be used over 35 ft. I would hate to think I bought a tricked out coach and already be at weight limit before loading. My friend bought a 37 ft model that was 38'6"" and was shocked to find dry weight before loading was 475 lbs below limit with 1/2 tank of gas and holding tanks empty.

Mrfoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #2

This seems to be one of the dirty little secrets of the RV world. If you add the two Gross Axle Weight Ratings together, then that is the most weight they can carry assuming that the weight is distributed properly. You can pay top dollar for a rig and not be able to carry much with you without overloading the chassis.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Take a look at the Winnebago products. In the Adventurer line only the 32D and 35P are on a 22,000 lb. F53 chassis. The 37F is on a 24,000 lb. chassis, and the 38Q is on a 26,000 lb. chassis.

Winnebago Motorhomes

If you go with the less expensive Sightseer line they are all (30A, 33C 35G, and 36Z) on the 22,000 lb.chassis
Old 12-26-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Scrimping on the chassis carrying capacity is one way that RV builders can offer lower priced models. It's a caveat emptor situation - you need to be aware and factor GVWR and OCCC into your decision making. That attractive and lower-priced coach may not be as much a bargain as it seems. Some other places that often get short-changed to keep the price down is wiring (size and protection), plumbing (no shutoffs), tire quality, provision for maintenance access, and quality of upholstery and floor covering materials.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #5

My last class A coach was a 34ft with measured 351/2 feet. It was a 2008 National Dolphin that had two slides and weighed in at 20,500 with a 22,000 lb chassis. After having a coach of this size I would not want anything bigger and heavier for a couple reasons.

Engine HP and Torque is not enough for this load.
Non air bag suspension makes the driving tough (harsh ride).
Rear overhand can become a real pain for weight and driving.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:46 AM   #6

I believe that most of the buyers for this range of motorhomes are upscale, working families, that will mostly take the motorhome on max, more or less, two week vacations. In that context, how much you need to load up the motorhome is much less that someone using it for extended stays, snow birding, or full-time. That type of motorhome probably also works best for extended travels, not extended stays.

A parallel is a much smaller Pleasure Way for extended travels, not extended stays, and also for short travels. However the PW probably works best with couples or singles, and the longer mh for families or couples wanting more room and having a bit more room and ccc than they had in a previous mh.

If that is the target market, it explains the why of how these motorhomes are designed. I think the issue is this target market. If you want more storage, more weight capacity, etc. you have other choices.

Unfortunately, rv buying is not the greatest industry for low knowledge buyers, as I understand it. Low knowledge buyers often buy units one day and a few months to a couple of years later buy up, realizing the unit doesn't match their needs that they didn't figure out up front. They probably didn't know they had a lot of work to do to figure that out --- kind of more in their mind like buying a car.

It has taken me a full year of research to inform myself enough to be able match my needs with the capabilities of a mh. I find it very challenging, with not just matching but new breaking in issues and used due diligence issues that seem to swat low information buyers pretty hard at times unless they were just lucky.

Often low information buyers simply are thinking that all these motorhomes ought to be equally useful for the same purpose...they just haven't been around the block. I don't know a better term than low information or maybe emotional, but that doesn't suggest stupid or some other derogatory term...just not on top of their game... either when buying or when matching to their needs.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:46 AM   #7

I own a 2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, and it is built on the 24,000lb Chassis. It's got a 252" Wheelbase so not much overhang and the ride is very nice.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:17 AM   #8

motorhome ratings

my sticker that is attached to the rear closet wall says: Gcwr= 26000#, maxium allowable load weight of this motorhome and any towed trailer or towed vehicle. my chassis is a 33footer on a 22k chassis. i have a ford motor home chart that says the same thing. my unit weight from the factory was 17900# and i just had it weighed and it was 20140, with all the stuff that i carry and have added, which tells me i am in good shape and under the ford load capacity.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:53 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Billyb when you weighed your coach did you have toad? Just wondering if one should just count the weight that is on coach. Maybe not the total weigh of toad. You can tell I am new at this . Your coach does not weigh as much as my 27n. 2015 Winnebago (1800 gvwr) GCWR is 2300 length is 28.3
Old 12-27-2014, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerkb2 View Post
I own a 2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, and it is built on the 24,000lb Chassis. It's got a 252" Wheelbase so not much overhang and the ride is very nice.
The Tiffon is a big and tall coach. A friend of mine has one like this and the overhang is not extreme with that wheel base.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #11

no i did not weigh the toad. i know it puts no weight on the hitch.also your 1800 should be 18000# gvwr, our gvwr is 26000#. that would be the maximum weight of the unit with any and everything added to it.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:29 AM   #12

Unresolved concerns over cargo carrying capacity, sufficient hp, and a loaded jeep wrangler toad has turned me away from a diesel Tiffin Breeze 32 and the newer gas rigs like a Canyon Star 3650, that otherwise I would be happy with. Put in a lot of tossing and turning over this, and pouring over the specifications. Prefer to error on the too much side of things.

That's the problem with being a senior citizen...lived through too many mistakes that were easily avoided.

Tags
chassis, ford