Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Ford F53 Chassis Problem

I have a fair and fairly new 2011 Winnabego Itasca 32' class A MH. The unit was purchased in April 2011.

When driving on the highway at 60mph there is a loud noise that appears to be coming from the rear of the coach. This noise goes away when I ease off the gas and when I reach 65 mph. No noise until I reach around 59 mph. The noise is hard to describe but is like a jet coming through the coach. Loud wining and a wind like wooshing sound. This noise has been there since I purchased the vehicle new and only at the same speed.

I had three different Ford general managers diagnose the problem as crown and pinion and had the crown and pinion and bearings replaced in April 2012 and the drive shaft balanced. All on warrenty thank goodness. It still makes the same noise. It is so loud that it is hard to have a conversation in the front while driving.

I recently tried changing the angle of the drive shafts. (No change) and had all 6 tires rebalanced (no change). I am very frustrated with Ford for not being able to isolate and fixthis problem.

Any suggestions out there in the internet world?

Gord
gmoffatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I've never owned a heavy duty rig that the rear end didn't 'howl' at some speed or another. Each was at a different speed. Our current rig, 45 - 50, under the right conditions. You may not have anything to be worried about, but without being able to hear it that attempt at reassurance is worth about what I charged you for it.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If Ford worked on your MH, you have a problem. They would never agree to work on a MH that did not have a real problem. This is NOT normal. No motorhome should be so loud that you can't carry on a conversation while driving. Stay on Ford until they find out what is wrong. Be nice but Be firm is the old saying that still applies.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #4

take notice at what rpm this happens at, than slow down and down shift one gear and see if the sound occurs at the same rpm again might just be something as simple as exhaust resonation or vibration.good luck
1skatingrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

I have read of some guys putting up with it until they finally had Ford change the entire rear end. They didn't do it willingly.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A friend of mine purchased the same coach and had the same issue - loud whining sound from the rear. It was diagnosed as a rusted ring and pinion gear. As it turns out, the coach had sat in a dealer's lot for over a year without being driven, thus the rusted parts. He had the motor home serviced at a non-Ford garage that specialized in larger truck service. He bought the motor home from a dealer in Florida, and noticed the noise on the test drive. The dealership paid for the repair and replacement to the tune of just under $4,000 - not cheap but no more sound. I do think that his is a 2010, however, but it should be the same drivetrain as what you have. I would have it checked again by a reputable drivetrain shop;it could be the lash or spacing was set incorrectly at the Ford facility.

Good luck with finding out what the problem is and getting it repaired. There is nothing like an obnoxious noise that cannot be located.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Just a wild thought. You said you had tire balanced. Did you have tire rotated? Front tires to rear to see if noise changes in location?
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:45 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I have read of some guys putting up with it until they finally had Ford change the entire rear end. They didn't do it willingly.
/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ This
Don't take no for a answer.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
If Ford worked on your MH, you have a problem. They would never agree to work on a MH that did not have a real problem. This is NOT normal. No motorhome should be so loud that you can't carry on a conversation while driving. Stay on Ford until they find out what is wrong. Be nice but Be firm is the old saying that still applies.
Thanks for the advise. I will persist!!
Old 05-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
A friend of mine purchased the same coach and had the same issue - loud whining sound from the rear. It was diagnosed as a rusted ring and pinion gear. As it turns out, the coach had sat in a dealer's lot for over a year without being driven, thus the rusted parts. He had the motor home serviced at a non-Ford garage that specialized in larger truck service. He bought the motor home from a dealer in Florida, and noticed the noise on the test drive. The dealership paid for the repair and replacement to the tune of just under $4,000 - not cheap but no more sound. I do think that his is a 2010, however, but it should be the same drivetrain as what you have. I would have it checked again by a reputable drivetrain shop;it could be the lash or spacing was set incorrectly at the Ford facility.

Good luck with finding out what the problem is and getting it repaired. There is nothing like an obnoxious noise that cannot be located.

Bronk
crown,pinon and bearings have been replaced already....problem where i live is no drivetrain folks closer that 1500 miles. Will continue to track this down. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #11

tires were rotated when balanced. But thanks for the idea.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #12

Good suggestion. I took it out of OD and brought it up to 60 mps and same noise at same rev. 2150. Arrrg
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
They have already changed crown,pinion and bearings with no issue at all. They may be reluctant to change it out twice..... Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
F53's are noisy. Always have been, always will be.

Tho, when we had ours, you sure couldn't hear the rearend over that v10 screaming betweeen yoyur legs.
Still, the kids never chose to go take a nap ib the bedroom.
They do now, guess that rear engine cummins jsut luls them to sleep?
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53, ford