Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford F53 or Workhorse

We have decided to move to a little newer motorhome in the next few months. We will be looking at 2007 and newer gas around the 35ft range. We have a 2001 35ft on a ford V-10 chassis. It has 2 slides. We do not tow but it might be a future option. If we do it will be something small.

The question is which is the better chassis Ford or Worhorse. Is there a "better" or is just a matter of opinion.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Both. One is better and it is a matter of opinion. This has been battled out before and always ends up the same.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #3

I'd go with Ford since they are still in production & Workhorse isn't.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #4

I would go for what I want for layout, etc and not worry about it
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #5

Both are perfectly fine. The Ford owners think the Ford is better, and the Workhorse owners think the Workhorse is better...

In the RV world, many ridiculous battles like this ensue: Ford Vs. Workhorse. CAT Vs. Cummins. And the el supremo battle of nitwits: Chevy Vs. Ford Vs. Dodge pickups.
Automobilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go for the floor plan that you like best, I'm a GM person so I wanted a WorkHourse, some like Ford better, it's whatever your preference is.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I gues I knew I would be opening a can of worms. I have always been a GM person but the Ford V-10 in my 2001 is doing excellent. I was told the Workhorse had a little more Torque when coupled with the Allison tranny. I was definetly going with floor plan first but thought I would ask the question so I could consider all my options. I will probably start another go around when I narrow my search to dealers and manafacturer. I will save that for later.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like both, but i would go with the Ford because of a parts issue. Whenever a company goes under parts usually become a problem.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford. The parts will be there
KylenCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here's the facts:
Workhorse W Series vs. Ford F:

~8.1L (496 c.i.) V8 - vs. - 6.8L (413c.i.) V10 (3 valve per cylinder in later models)
~5 Speed Allison (Available 6 Speed Allison) - vs. - 5 Speed Ford
~Motorized "Auto Brake" parking brake (subject to some recalls in the W22) - vs. - Cable operated Driveline Parking Brake.

All the rest is pretty much the same...
"C" Channel Chassis, Leaf Springs, Solid I-beam Front suspension, Disc Brakes, and ABS.

Parts and service - GM is supporting the 8.1L for marine and industrial applications, Allison is strong and growing, Ford is Ford and have not ever filed BK - a pretty good situation for both.

I have heard the big difference is in RPM vs. Power output. The V10 is smaller in displacement, but gets similar H.P. by spinning up to a higher RPM. Driving hard at high RPM is a downside to some owners.

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure the 5-speed was available in 2001. I think it changed in 2003.
A 5-speed should definitely be on the wish list, as the 2nd-3rd shift on the Ford is pretty long.

I haven't had a Chevy, so I just know the Ford. The 6.8L is a good modular motor, it drives the the 4.6L and 5.4L before it - that is, it can wind up pretty good and can rev.

It has quirks. Early models have about 3-4 threads on each plug and changing the plugs will cost you around $400 at Ford. Changing the plugs and coils at Ford, probably $1k. They plugs should be done at 50k miles. Coils can be as-needed. Changing the plugs without proper procedure results in plug blow-outs and can be Very Expensive. Other than that, they don't seem to have any huge faults.

Parts for the 6.8L are very available. We have a 99 driving a 32' motorhome. IT gets the job done, but I think a 35' would be tough. Later motors got more power - so look at that too. Relatively easy / cheap to maintain.

What's your budget? If you're really going to drive it all over, consider going up to Diesel Pusher budget, even entry level... Find one that has been maintained so you don't have to sink money into it initially.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the only question that remains is are the Ford V-10 spark issues more pron to certian years. In other words are they say pre 2008 or is it still an issue ? I am thinking of looking at 2008 and newer. Based on comments I may even explore entry level diesel pusher models.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2008 and newer did not have the spark plug THREAD issue. Also the Ford service manual calls for spark plug change in all V10's at 100,000 miles.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile Ford F53 or Workhorse

Although I am fairly new to the RV motor home scene I have had 2 with Ford V10 one without the banks power pack and one with . I had a 30 ft. 2002 Damon Daybreak with no slides without Banks and currently have 2004 Winnebago Brave 34 ft. with 2 slides with the Banks and find a real difference in the power. I also tow a 2010 Mazda 5 on a car dolley. I have driven both through the mountains in B. C. the Damon power was O.K. But the Winne was much better. Also from South Carolina to Alberta the Winne preformed really well . I realize you are making comparisons Ford to Chevy but just thought this may give you some additional food for thought.

Tags
f53, ford, workhorse