Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Ford F53 rear suspension

Well, still looking for the cause of a low speed rumble. Thought it might be the hangar bearing, but all good. No weights on tires. COuld it be just the period it takes for beads to center up? Not sure if it has beads or not, new to me a few weeks ago.
When underneath, noticed that both aft sway bar bushings are gone. Only option seems to be the factory replacements.
Whay no aftermarket for Ford chassis??

Milton
Steeler34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Steeler......I'm sure they make aftermarket bushings. You need to look for truck replacements, not motor home replacements.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Steeler34,
Go to the top of the forum page and on the right side is a search box. Type in, "sway bar bushings/ F-53 chassis, and you will come up with a bunch of choices. Find one from a guy named, "Skutterood" or something like that. He makes replacement bushings out of Poly for the F-53 chassis. They will run you about $50 for a set but they are good.

You didn't list the year or make of your coach. That will a ways help when asking specific questions. The guy who makes the bushings told me that starting on the 2012 chassis Ford made their sway bar bushings out of the poly. The poly is way better than stock.

TeJay
Old 01-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #4

TeJay,

Thanks,

Will check that out.
It is a Tifin, Allegro 35QBA
Old 01-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #5

Here is the link to ebay for the bushings Ford F53 Class A motorhome Rear Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushings 1999 2011 | eBay
Old 01-11-2015, 04:23 PM   #6

Perfect Wild Bill. Got it..

Milton
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #7

Also check your rear shackle bushings at the tail end of your rear leaf springs. Ford warranty covered the replacement of mine on my 2013 Itasca Sunstar 30T with only 5K miles. The bushings on the leaf springs themselves were totally fine; however, the rubber shackle bushings were obviously defective.

Bill
Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Steeler34, while your doing the bushings check with Ford on updated brackets and bolts (heavy duty) and, look on the fourm for the "CHF" for the F53 to do at the same time.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Still Bill,
You've got my attention. We have a 2014 WBGO Vista 30-T so we might have that shackle issue. This is the first time I've heard or read anything regarding this issue on the F-53 MH suspension system.

Did you have any symptoms regarding those bushings??? Did the dealer have a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) regarding replacing those bushings? I know enough to lift, and pry around the shackle bushings so I will give it a look when the temps get above 40.

Thanks a bunch,
TeJay
Old 01-15-2015, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Still Bill,
You've got my attention. We have a 2014 WBGO Vista 30-T so we might have that shackle issue. This is the first time I've heard or read anything regarding this issue on the F-53 MH suspension system.

Did you have any symptoms regarding those bushings??? Did the dealer have a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) regarding replacing those bushings? I know enough to lift, and pry around the shackle bushings so I will give it a look when the temps get above 40.

Thanks a bunch,
TeJay
TeJay-I got this from a different thread. It was new to me also. Yes, there is a TSB on it. Here's a website that gives the details on the TSB:

2011 Ford F-53 Rear Suspension Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)

2011 F53 and F59 suspension TSB - Forest River Forums
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
TeJay-I got this from a different thread. It was new to me also. Yes, there is a TSB on it. Here's a website that gives the details on the TSB:

2011 Ford F-53 Rear Suspension Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)

2011 F53 and F59 suspension TSB - Forest River Forums
My issue was not related to the rear sway bar. It was solely about the rubber shackle bushing located at the tail end of the rear leaf springs. While researching my problem, I did note that there had been a TSB about F-53 rear sway bars...but, that was not anything related to my issue.

With all my past history of being a fleet manager, I venture to guess that Ford just received a bad batch of rubber used in these assemblies from a supplier. Hopefully, it was only a one time event; but, something to check...More likely for those with 2013 model year F-53's.

Again, my shackle bushings were "toast" (being metal-to-metal on one side) after only 5,000 miles. Otherwise, the heavy cast metal portion of these shackle assemblies looked fine.

FYI...Ford replaced my whole shackle assemblies (with the pre-installed bushings) per their 36 month chassis warranty; so, any free replacement (similar to mine) should currently apply to most 2012-2014 F-53 vehicles.

Attached is a photo of the shackle assemblies that were replaced. Took this at the dealership when I picked up the mh after work was completed.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150112_105908_resized.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	83371  
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #12

aauummm thanks for the info on sway bars i wonder if there is any recall on the leaf spring rubber bushings
Old 01-15-2015, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Still Bill,

Thanks a bunch,
TeJay
TeJay,

No TSB is available. I may have been one of their first reported cases to date. But, Ford definitely knew where to send me to get it fixed. Was not a Ford Truck shop...was a very knowledgeable RV specialty shop.

Was about 75 degrees when I got under mine...LOL

Bill
Old 01-15-2015, 08:49 PM   #14

stillbill pictures worth a thousand words thanks

Tags
f53, ford, suspension