Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #43

Isn't that video of the Wynn's gas coach the prototype or early version that the manufacturer let them help design? I believe they later got a sound-proofing upgrade that may now be standard...also: It's the 5 speed. I would be more interested in hearing the 6 speed gas to 6 speed diesel comparison with comparable grade of coach on top -- better grade will have better components and sound deadening. An entry level gasser like my first ACE isn't really up to the standards of an entry level diesel from what I've seen - at least from a "new" RV standpoint - or am i off base?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Isn't that video of the Wynn's gas coach the prototype or early version that the manufacturer let them help design? I believe they later got a sound-proofing upgrade that may now be standard...also: It's the 5 speed. I would be more interested in hearing the 6 speed gas to 6 speed diesel comparison with comparable grade of coach on top -- better grade will have better components and sound deadening. An entry level gasser like my first ACE isn't really up to the standards of an entry level diesel from what I've seen - at least from a "new" RV standpoint - or am i off base?
Correct, sort of, the didn't really design it. They had input into some things. They did a lot more on the upgrade to technology side of the house. Sound proofing to the doghouse is now standard. I have the 5 speed and after some warranty work all my squeaks and annoyances are gone. The 5 speed tune eliminates the the roar downshift from 5 to 3 (that you hear int he video) and works so much better. I don't even have the dog house insulation but getting it in September at the factory when I visit. All in all I am happy with my gasser (Spoken from a former Monaco DP owner)
Old 08-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
This is the craziest thing I have read in a long time. A diesel and a gas engine with the same horsepower will perform the same. Absolutely incorrect. Need to go back to engineering 101 and spend some time leaning how horsepower is determined. It is basically a calculation based on.... I'll let you learn the answer. Torque is easily determined and it is this property that enables diesels to pull heavier loads compared to gas engines. Enough with his both engines are the same nonsense.

After your study I'm sure you will have a basic understanding of why the engines are different and why each is more useful for certain tasks.

Why on earth would there be two two styles of engines unless they each had a role to play?

Sorry, but you are absolutely, totally, unequivocally, 100% wrong. And I don't have to "learn the answer" about how HP is determined. I know exactly how horsepower is determined, thank you very much. Torque x RPM /5252. I've done the calculations on engine builds hundreds of times. Note the "RPM" portion of that forumula. You have evidently forgotten about that little piece of the puzzle.

A 360 HP diesel in a 25,000 pound coach will go up a hill at the same maximum speed as a 360 HP gas coach of the same weight. The difference? The diesel will do it at 2,000 RPM but you have to wind up that gas engine to 4,500 RPM to get all 360 HP out of it. That's where the "RPM" portion of the formula comes into play, in case you missed it.

According to your assertion, there is a difference between "diesel horsepower" and "gasoline horsepower." What about "turbine horsepower" or "electric motor horsepower." Are they all different, too? Now THAT is really crazy.

Talk about nonsense...
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53, ford