Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #15

Workhorse

2010 is the last year for workhorse chassis. 35 yr GM service Manager

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
As one who owns a 78 International Scout II (no longer made) and a Chevy HHR (no longer made) owning a Workhorse (no longer made) in no way deters me from saying WH IMO is better. Since I can still get mechanical parts for my Scout easily I see no problem in Wh parts in the future. Allison is better than the Ford 4 speed although the Ford 5 speed is good. No substitute for cubic inches in torque at low RPM (494 WH vs 362 Ford) Wh had problems with brakes but the recall should have been performed and fixed it. Parts with WH harder to figure out what is part number but as in the International which used Dana axles, Borg Warner transmission(manual) Chrysler (auto) and Gm steering The WH stuff is GM (engine) Allison(trans) Meritor (front axle) Dana and others(rear axles) WH made the frame but not much else they just put their part numbers on it to make it difficult to go around them.
Which recall would that be I have done every recall on Workhorse brakes since the problem came up and I can say that I know of no coach that the problem was completely solved on. I personally know of several coaches that have had multiple recalls done on them and the problem still remains they eat brakes like snacks at a party. In the end the only permanent repair for the Auto Park system is to replace it with a manual parking brake. GM will be out of it's 10 year window on the 8.1 soon and then parts will be even tougher to find. Even harder to find are Workhorse specific parts.

The brake problem is multiple issues on a couple of chassis starting with a bad design for the brake pedal linkage and going on thru the whole system.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:44 AM   #17

Lots of misinformation and urban legends about the Autopark system. Autopark was only used on the longer GM chassis with the 454 engine and GM transmission. Short wheelbase version had a traditional set up with a pawl inside the transmission for PARK. This was all when GM built the chassis, and initially when Workhorse bought the chassis business and used up the remaining GM parts. The GM chassis has independent front suspension with coil springs and air bags and Workhorse has a solid front axle with leaf springs. The 8.1 engine had the Allison tranny and no autopark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Which recall would that be I have done every recall on Workhorse brakes since the problem came up and I can say that I know of no coach that the problem was completely solved on. I personally know of several coaches that have had multiple recalls done on them and the problem still remains they eat brakes like snacks at a party. In the end the only permanent repair for the Auto Park system is to replace it with a manual parking brake. GM will be out of it's 10 year window on the 8.1 soon and then parts will be even tougher to find. Even harder to find are Workhorse specific parts.

The brake problem is multiple issues on a couple of chassis starting with a bad design for the brake pedal linkage and going on thru the whole system.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Lots of misinformation and urban legends about the Autopark system. Autopark was only used on the longer GM chassis with the 454 engine and GM transmission. Short wheelbase version had a traditional set up with a pawl inside the transmission for PARK. This was all when GM built the chassis, and initially when Workhorse bought the chassis business and used up the remaining GM parts.The GM chassis has independent front suspension with coil springs and air bags and Workhorse has a solid front axle with leaf springs. The 8.1 engine had the Allison tranny and no autopark.
Sorry George, but your post is filled with "lots of misinformation", too.

Just to keep the facts straight:
Workhorse continued making the P32 chassis with the J71 AAPB thru the 2004 model year, and then they used the J72 AAPB on the 2005 model year P32 chassis and the newly released W-24 chassis. The use of either design AAPB was determined by GVWR, not wheelbase. There were lots of P32s built with the 8.1L motor, but they ALL got the GM 4 speed, not an Allison, so there a lots of 8.1L motors with AAPB. The Workhorse P32 had coil springs and IFS, just like the GM predecessor. The W-series has the solid axle and leaf springs, not all Workhorse as your post implies.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #19

Ooops. Arrrgh.....Sorry for my misinformation. You obviously have better data than I thought I had. I sure didn't know about the 8.1 chassis with autopark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Sorry George, but your post is filled with "lots of misinformation", too.

Just to keep the facts straight:
Workhorse continued making the P32 chassis with the J71 AAPB thru the 2004 model year, and then they used the J72 AAPB on the 2005 model year P32 chassis and the newly released W-24 chassis. The use of either design AAPB was determined by GVWR, not wheelbase. There were lots of P32s built with the 8.1L motor, but they ALL got the GM 4 speed, not an Allison, so there a lots of 8.1L motors with AAPB. The Workhorse P32 had coil springs and IFS, just like the GM predecessor. The W-series has the solid axle and leaf springs, not all Workhorse as your post implies.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, workhorse