Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ford or Workhorse

Someone give me what you think about the ford chassis versus Workhorse. I have owned Ford but never Workhorse and who service's the Workhorse. Thanks Wilkie
Wilkiesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkiesr View Post
Someone give me what you think about the ford chassis versus Workhorse. I have owned Ford but never Workhorse and who service's the Workhorse. Thanks Wilkie
The biggest difference is that "most" Workhorse chassis will have the 8.1L V8 and an ALLISON 5 or 6 speed tranny. IMO, that is quieter and more reliable than the V-10 and 5 speed "torque shift" tranny in the F53.

Almost all other chassis components are pretty much equal.

There are still hundreds of Workhorse ASCs all over the country, but certainly not as many as there are Ford dealers.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

Ford still makes a motorhome chassis Workhorse has been sold a few times and to my knowledge no longer makes a motorhome chassis. Parts and service can be a PITA nearly everything is still available. Also read the auto park threads on Workhorse. That said it is a pretty good chassis and I am a Workhorse certified tech. So I would not pass on a good one for me but you must make your own choices.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It depends to some extent on what year you are talking about. When the Workhorse W20/W22 came out in late 2001, it was head and shoulders above the current Ford F53. Much stronger/stiffer chassis with greater GVWR, superior handling, the outstanding Allison 5 (later 6) speed tranny, more room for storage bays, etc. Took Ford 3-4 years to catch up, but they did and could be considered equal after that.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

One drive and you can tell the difference. That was all it took me and I went with the Workhorse. Drive the same route and you will see. Absolutely swear by that Allison transmission. Service for engine and transmission done by my local GMC truck dealership. No problems with service yet. Good luck on your decision.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Have a 07 Ford had an 06 8.1 workhorse. WH 6 spd is great, WH brake problems are BAD, 8.1 fuel econ is good, V10 is quieter has more HP, but 5 spd shift programing will send the RPMs to near 5k for no good reason up hills.
Over all once you get the brakes fixed and insulate the doghouse I'd go with the WH.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

I have driven both more than once and owned the Ford. Since only the Ford chassis or engine is still being built, there is some clear advantage to the Ford in that respect. Most Chevy. truck shops will work on the GM engines of Workhorse but not all of them. I have to challenge the opinion that Workhorse was ever "head and shoulders ahead" in the competition, although there have been years that one beat the other so badly. The reason that Workhorse even existed was because GM chassis division was so far behind Ford that they sold it to a new company to build. The Allison transmission has a slightly better record than the Ford but the big advantage it has is in the extra gear that it had in the earlier days. It was not the same transmission that is so popular in diesel rigs.

As you can see, it is no different than it ever was in that the Ford people prefer it and the GM folks like Workhorse but if we assume both to be in good condition, I would not make the choice by the chassis but by the RV which rides on it. In used RVs the condition and maintenance history is the most important factor, no matter who built it.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse is much better in my not so humble opinion.

Find a W24 or R26 (UFO) chassis and you will not be disappointed.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #9

Im a chevy man, but in our search for a used MH im looking for a Ford chassis simply because they are still making them. The last workhorse was probably made in 07' Pretty soon there are probably only going to be a handful of places to get parts
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
Im a chevy man, but in our search for a used MH im looking for a Ford chassis simply because they are still making them. The last workhorse was probably made in 07' Pretty soon there are probably only going to be a handful of places to get parts
Last ones probably 2010 or 2011, GM Motor, Allison Trans, plenty of chassis parts for a long, long time.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
Sorry but that "probably" statement is just not correct. The last model year for the Workhorse gassers was 2009, and they made the diesel powered W series chassis thru at least the 2010 model year.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Find a W24 or R26 (UFO) chassis and you will not be disappointed.
... or a W25.5 chassis which is what I have. This has worked well and I would recommend it for affordable fulltiming with amenities. Not many W25.5 were made prior to the end of the 8.1L production.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Sorry but that "probably" statement is just not correct. The last model year for the Workhorse gassers was 2009, and they made the diesel powered W series chassis thru at least the 2010 model year.
Thanks Im no expert on any chassis I just assumed around 07' because I've never seen a 2010 or 2011 MH on a workhorse chassis. Then again I have not been looking at anything newer than 09'.

I PERSONALLY would still go with an F53 because they are still making them. That's just me. I've had my fair share of stuff that's out of production over the years.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As one who owns a 78 International Scout II (no longer made) and a Chevy HHR (no longer made) owning a Workhorse (no longer made) in no way deters me from saying WH IMO is better. Since I can still get mechanical parts for my Scout easily I see no problem in Wh parts in the future. Allison is better than the Ford 4 speed although the Ford 5 speed is good. No substitute for cubic inches in torque at low RPM (494 WH vs 362 Ford) Wh had problems with brakes but the recall should have been performed and fixed it. Parts with WH harder to figure out what is part number but as in the International which used Dana axles, Borg Warner transmission(manual) Chrysler (auto) and Gm steering The WH stuff is GM (engine) Allison(trans) Meritor (front axle) Dana and others(rear axles) WH made the frame but not much else they just put their part numbers on it to make it difficult to go around them.

Tags
ford, workhorse