Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #1

Ford Shift Points

We have a 2011 motor home with a Ford V-10 & the Ford 5R110W transmission. It seems to me that the engine over rev's prior to shifting into the next gear, especially noticeable when entering onto a freeway ramp. I have not been into a Ford garage yet to have it checked, but was wondering if anyone else seems to notice this. Maybe it is just me and everything is doing what it is supposed to.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

Please better describe 'overrev' at what rpm is it shifting and what is the throttle position?

I will say that the stock shift strategy was the biggest reason I had VMP retune my coach. I seldom use full available power but the shifts allways seemed ill timed, wrong gear and abnoxious downshifting. The tune cured all that and the drive train is much more setteled and runs great.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
OSP,

Since you are under warranty, take the time to go to a Ford Truck center and let them tell you if anything is abnormal under any throttle position.
I have a Class A 2008 Ford 362 HP Triton 30-valve V-10 and it shifts "normally" to me. I never push it and use tow/haul gear while traveling in mountain regions. 55-60 MPH is the law in CA while towing.

Steve
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

For what it's worth, I've driven a few newer motorhomes with that driveline and they all seemed to "late" shift compared to a car or 1/2 ton truck. I think that's primarily because an RV has a greater strain on the trans so the preset line pressure is increased in the transmission and later shifts are a result. The late/harder shifts may not be as comfortable, but decrease wear and tear on the transmission.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If the Tow/Haul mode is being used, it increases the shift points to a higher RPMs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:54 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the same configuration in a Damon Challenger, and I think that you will find that there is nothing wrong, it is simply the "nature of the beast". I have learned to be more "sensitive" when starting out and when accelerating in general, especially with the gas prices being what they are (and may become). There seems to be plenty of power from this set-up and I think it just takes some getting used to how best to get power to the wheels. I love this V-10, however, and after talking to many Ford V10 owners, they seem to think that the engine is one of the best gas engines on the market - dependable and powerful. Keep us informed as to what you learn, if you go to the dealership. I'm sure other Ford owners would benefit from your experience.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
For what it's worth, I've driven a few newer motorhomes with that driveline and they all seemed to "late" shift compared to a car or 1/2 ton truck. I think that's primarily because an RV has a greater strain on the trans so the preset line pressure is increased in the transmission and later shifts are a result. The late/harder shifts may not be as comfortable, but decrease wear and tear on the transmission.

Just fyi,

In a modern electronicly controlled automatic transmission, shift firmness as controlled by clutch pressure is completley independent of rpm shift point. IE the trans can be told to shift at any point and at any desired clutch application rate. The pressure to the clutches is computer controlled. Thats why the tuners adjust shift strategy as well as engine performance to better suit the actual load and highway use of the motorhome.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 99 pacearrow that was terribly rev happy. A good tune from Brazels got everything under control.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 AM   #9

I'll repost what I stated in another thread.

I installed a 5Star tune (they are a sponsor of one of the forums here) in my Daybreak F53 V10 . I took a trip that started in Maryland, to Savannah, across to Nashville, up to St. Louis, then to Kansas, back to Maryland. I had a toad behind me the entire trip.

The things I noticed:
1. Acceleration response was quick.
2. Shift points were where I thought they should be. Meaning, I would think, "shouldn't this thing be shifting right about....oh...there it goes". I would categorize the shifting schema as a dramatic change...for the good. No more screaming engine in the mountains.
3. Fuel mileage was, maybe 2-3 tenths of a gallon better. More travel will help with less mountains in the way.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #10

My 2011 36' Bounder on 2010 F53 chassis also seems to wind out before shifting, sometimes up to 3500 RPM before a shift. I'm not overloaded as I even noticed it on the test drive when it was empty. If I let up on the pedal it seems to help it shift. Is this normal or should I go to Ford?
Old 10-06-2011, 06:20 PM   #11

I had a 1999 M/H with a V10 that I bought sight unseen. On the 300 mile trip home I thought it was turning to many RPS before shifting. I am a manager for a 400 GM vehicle fleet, and not up to speed on ford V10's. So a call went to a friend of mine who is a long time ford truck service manager and had him come drive it, all was fine. the V10 is 6.8L displacement with 10 cyls, by compairson a GM 8.1L has 8 cyls so a much bigger bore and makes it's power at a lower RPM. The V10 with the smaller bore make it's peak power at a higher RPM. I know the guy that bought the coach from me, and at 95K it's still screaming with no problems. They do sound like they are coming apart though.
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Again, I call part throttle upshifts at 3500 to 4000 rpm just not required. A "chip" will fix it. Just cause it's the way Ford built it don't make it right.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote