Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 07:10 PM   #1

Ford Spark Plugs

Hi anyone out there know what year Ford started putting more spark plug threads in the V10 heads, mine is a 2003 and we know that has a 2002 chassis, also would like to know the torque to put on the plugs.
If anyone knows this maybe you might be able to tell me how to test the coils.
Thanks
newf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It was more than just the V10 engines, many of the early Triton engines suffered from spark plug blow outs. The aluminum heads were a little soft and only had 4 threads for the plug to screw into. Even original engines never having a plug touched from the factory were known to blow the plug out, especial #5 for some reason. Various engines had the thicker heads installed different times, the only sure way to know is contact Ford with the engine number and they can tell you. 310 HP V10 and larger HP are generally O.K. Many of the earlier engines have lasted a good long time, if you do have an issue have a Heli-Coil insert put in to repair the threads.

Also, in 2008 there was an issue with new, very long threaded spark plugs that could seize in the head and snap off when trying to remove them. This was different than the blowing out spark plug issue, it was fixed with newly designed plugs about mid year 2008.

I think bottom line, the V10 is a good engine. Changing plugs at about 50,000 miles seems like a good idea, but I'd leave it to a Ford dealer so if a plug breaks, or the threads strip, they can fix it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:47 AM   #3

My guess is that you don't need to change plugs for 100,000 miles.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Cork View Post
My guess is that you don't need to change plugs for 100,000 miles.
Probably true, but it's recommended to do it at 50,000 miles, because to wait until 100,000 miles they might have become fused to the heads. Aluminum and steel don't play nice together over long periods of time. It's also suggested you use anti-seize compound on the threads.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-17-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I thought that anti-seize and aluminum didn't play well together either?. Been wrong before though.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Spark plugs are cheap head work isn't. It took less then an hour to replace them all and clean each coil so no resistance to plug. Better fire and more power.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-17-2014, 04:36 PM   #7

A mechanic told me if you have a "pi" stamped on the heads that makes it the newstyle head that ddidn't have the problem. I would also wait to change them until 100,000 miles.
Arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98FPA View Post
I thought that anti-seize and aluminum didn't play well together either?. Been wrong before though.
There are quite a variety of anti-seize compounds, you just have to have one safe for aluminum/steel combination.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 PM   #9

A Ford service manager told me once. Not to change them until you are over 100,000 miles, then let the service department change them. It some goes wrong they're responsible. If you do it and something goes wrong, you get to pay for the damage. Makes sense to me....
Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

I changed the plugs at 50K with my 2003(2002 chassis) V10 Ford. I used carb cleaner in the plug well and let it soak for a few minutes before slowly backing the plugs out 1/2 turn at a time going from plug to plug allowing the carb cleaner to dissolve any varnish on the threads. Dry the plug well of cleaner before removing the plug from the hole to keep debris from falling in the empty hole. All came right out with no problems. I used silver Permatex anti seize on the threads only and you MUST torque to factory spec. Which I believe is around 10 ft/lbs. Check this spec. first. Plugs have been in 15K miles with no issues. I also cleaned coil and boot and used dielectric grease on the boot to ease installation and keep out moisture. Should aid removal from plug later. Do not wait to 100K to change plugs as said earlier they could really fuse to the head and pull threads on the way out. Change them now and have the peace of mind knowing your ignition is working at peak efficiency😊.

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:32 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As far as torque, check out FAQ #51 on this website:

FAQs: Why do you prefer 28-32 foot lbs torque instead of the factory specification

Not saying they are right or wrong, they just seem to have lots of experience with the issue.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had mine changed at 7,000 miles. I could already see little flecks of aluminum on the plug threads. The plugs I had put in are plutonium and Ford says they are compatible with the heads. The general consensus at the time was if you wait untill 100,000 miles and strip out the aluminum with the plug, you are well out of the 60,000 mile warranty. I have always considered that minor investment in peace of mind was well worth it.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf View Post
Hi anyone out there know what year Ford started putting more spark plug threads in the V10 heads, mine is a 2003 and we know that has a 2002 chassis, also would like to know the torque to put on the plugs.
Thanks
what I wanna know, is how did the first guy to report spark plugs blowing out of the head get the tar and feathers off....JK...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newf View Post

Thanks

I did check and the factory torque should be 14 ft/lbs. Use a quality torque wrench and refrain from giving them a little extra!

2003 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster-F53 Chassis towing 1998 Tracker
Myssdragn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford