Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #1

Ford V-10 gasser in 33'-36' Coach

Could any of you folks help me in making a choice?

I looked at a new Forest River 33' Georgetown MH and it has the Ford V-10 gas engine.

What type performance can I expect in Hilly country with some steep grades.

The DW and me are moutain country folks when we zip around and are used to pulling our 5th whell with a 3500 Dodge CTD which can pull an anchor up a waterfall.

Thanks for any information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2010, 10:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger63 View Post

I looked at a new Forest River 33' Georgetown MH and it has the Ford V-10 gas engine.

The DW and me are moutain country folks when we zip around and are used to pulling our 5th whell with a 3500 Dodge CTD which can pull an anchor up a waterfall.

It won't have the pulling power you're accustomed to with the Dodge but should be sufficient. I took my '05 31' National V-10 with a CRV toad through much of the Rockies a few years back with no problem. However, be aware that the Ford V-10 is a high reving engine especially as it begins to gear down on grades something that's a little difficult to get used to but nothing to worry about.

Larry

Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The 6.8L V-10 does not have the stump-pulling power of the Cummins in the truck. It does OK considering it is a gasser, though. Our big grades are I-40 over Black Mountain and US421 from Wilkesboro to Boone NC, we start at 60MPH and end up at 30-40MPH at the crest with accelerator floored and transmission in whatever gear it wants to be in (usually 2nd). This is with 24,000 lb load (coach plus toad). These grades are 6-8%, if I remember correctly, with 421 being the worse of the two.

Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
I looked at a ... 33' ... MH and it has the Ford V-10 gas engine.

We have a 2005 Bounder 34F (34 ft, 10 in long) with the Ford V-10. From the factory, it had sufficient power but none to spare. We invested $3K to add a Banks system to it, and it made a significant difference on uphill grades. Others told us to expect an increase in power but not in fuel efficiency, and that has indeed been our experience.

The earlier comments about high RPM are right on target. When we climb California mountain grades, we're usually in 2nd gear at about 45 mph -- with the engine whining along at about 4200 rpm. If you're not used to it, it sounds like it's gonna start throwing parts through the floorboards, but the Ford truck people say that this engine is perfectly happy at 4000 -4500 rpm.
jobriant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Hi Tiger 63

I have had two f 53's. The first in a 2001 35u Winn., which I put 52,000 miles on in 49 States and all 10 Canadian Prov. I put the Banks on it as it had 315 H.P. and that brought it up to 362. I now have a 2008 Fleetwood 35E with 12,000 miles and don't need the Banks as the new one has 362 H.P.

I agree with the others on high reving and recently spoke to Ford at the Tampa super show and was assured that it was doing what it was supposed to do.

It has served me well and as per the above , I've been over most of this country's mountains a few times and never had a problem.

The diesel doesn't justify the extra purchase expense IMHO and I don't care for the front door entrance on most models. The co-pilot keeps all her stuff there.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You will suffer a huge performance drop going from the diesel pickup pulling a fiver to a V10 class A.

We did a couple weeks in the mountains last year, with a friend running a rig similar to yours. When he got to the top of the passes (after driving up the hill in high gear at the speed limit), he'd duck into the truck pullout and wait for me. Depending on the length of the grade, I'd be along in 2 to 10 minutes, screaming at 4500 rpm in second gear at 40.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #7

We have an 08 Tiffin Allegro which is 33.5 in length. Went to the Smokey's last fall and had no problems with any grade. In that length just can't justify the cost for a diesel. Had a Ford F250 diesel pulling a 5th wheel before and think we made the right choice.with the gasser for the MH..

Good luck,
RJ
Old 02-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #8

I agree with all those who like the Ford and also agree that it can be noisey at speed. I resolve that issue by not speeding and taking things slow. What I like and you should consider important is that most Ford Dealers service these truck chassis. I find that a big plus including reasonably priced oil changes as compared to CW. I don't have to search high a low for a special mechanic or service center like WH. My DW also like the door behind her passenger seat for the same reason as clifftall. Just something to consider
Old 02-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
recall that I never said I didn't like my Ford. I do, and the power is (barely) adequate.

A V10 class A absolutely will not have the performance of a diesel pickup pulling a fiver though.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #10

Davie makes a good point. When looking at diesels the closest service was about 30 miles from our home and cost of an oil change was around 200.00. I know diesels can go much longer between oil changes, (owned a diesel F-250) but the last change at Ford on our gasser was 52.00 and 2 miles from our home. It's simple, it works and has just not had the problems I read about with some of the DPs. However, if going 37ft or larger and if I could afford it I would certainly go with a pusher. But for our needs we are very happy with our 33ft gasser.

Good Luck
RJ
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #11

We currently have a V10 in a 38ft Damon. Just stepped up from a 454 in a 34ft Bounder. The Damon weighs right at 20k loaded where the Bounder was at 16.5 (overloaded).

The V10 is MORE than adequet to move this coach down the freeway and up a hill at any reasonable speed. With more than 100hp more than I had before the increase in weight and length is just not noticed in driving.

Oh, and the Ford chassis is SO much better to drive than our old, really upgraded P32 chassis.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the performance. My daily driver is a Ford F-350 diesel. I can go up any hill, the tach doesn't move, and the gears don't change. That's all because of the turbo. Well, the V10 obviously doesn't have a turbo so the engine will scream when going up a hill. It was a bit stressful at first but these engines are made to wind up. Couple that with the increased creature comforts of a class A and you'll definitely be happy.
ljr869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #13

Our coach, a 2000 38' Residency loaded for travel with 2 bodies weighs in at 21,300lbs and we tow a 3,500lb vehicle. You won't go blazing up 6 & 7% grades, but you'll always make it over the top. Now with 66k miles logged on ours, the engine has performed flawlessly never failing us. The v10 is a fairly bullet proof engine, and with proper care and maintenance it should easily last for 200k miles. Most folks usually trade up before logging that much mileage.

Best of luck with your choice

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote