Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #15
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I researched the V10, the plug issue was the only thing that comes up. Ironically, this is good. That means this engine is just about bullet proof, except for this very, very, very, very rare issue.

Did I mention this is a very rare problem. When a plug spits, it seems to appear on higher time engines and seems to be related to tune up / plug changes, specifically if the plugs may not have been torqued correctly and standard steel plugs were used (black colored base). This sounds like me. :-(

The mitigation is to use the nickle plated plugs (silver color base), use a small amount of anti-sieze, and properly torque the plugs to about 160 inch lbs. ( As a shade tree mechanic, I've never torqued a spark plug in my life, until now. I bought a small inexpensive torque wrench at Harbor Freight specifically to torque the plugs)

There is an inexpensive fix that an average DYI can do on the road, but does require a special tool set that can be bought or rented (this is not a standard helicoil fix)

See video

As a temporary fix - If someone is concerned about this, I would recommend carrying one of the rubber spark plug hole seal tools. These cost about $20, you put it in the spark plug hole tighten the bolt, and the rubber seals the spark plug hole. Unplug the spark coil and the fuel injector for that cylinder, and continue your trip until you get home.

Although I was originally concerned about this. I have since not lost any sleep over it as I'm comfortable with the mitigation, and the fact that this is a very rare problem.

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The early Triton engines including V10's had only 3 or 4 threads in the sparkplug hole. However, the main reason for plug failure was incorrect plug torque. Factory spec is 14 lbs ft. If not torque correctly the plug will come loose and start vibrating until the threads are distroyed and the plug is spit out. The link below is to guys that are Ford Master Mechanics that have their own business for repairing the plug threads with factory threads. On their FAQ's page FAQ 51they recommend 28 lbs ft torque. Also read FAQ 52 about putting anti-seize on plated plugs.

There is/was an iRV2 member that was a Ford Master Mechanic jamesxxx351, I think that was his user name. Haven't seen any posts from him since October. Anyway, he said they torqued a plug up to 100 lbs ft without thread failure on a head that was being sent back to Ford for warranty.
BTW, in later years 2004 to ? Ford had a problem with plugs breaking off in the head. The plugs were two piece and if not removed per a service bulletin could break off.

Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by chboone View Post

Yeah, i'm the crazy guy who mentioned blown out plugs! It is rare, but it's about the only problem with the V10s, (clarification....OLDER V10s).

I had those sparkplug guys come to my home driveway and repair a spit out plug on ny 2002 Ford Expedition at 110,000 miles. It's pricey, but costs less than taking it to a shop or dealer for repair. They will do up to two plugs, (if necessary), for the price of one, and they guarantee their work. I put over 290,000 miles on that 5.4L engine, and it still was running strong when sold.

BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote

engine, ford, v10