Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
It wasn't actually coffee grounds. Just what it reminded me of as I poured the fuel out of it!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #16

Hi there,
I had similar problem with my 2004 ford v-10.The odd time we went through heavy rain the air filter would get wet. Ford had a remedy to change the intake.to the filter. That cured that.
However one day problem happened again.....no power and rough running.
Would not start but when it did it would rev up and then sputter and die.
Managed to get home and checked air filter.....dry as a bone.....but there is a sensor that samples the air from air filter. Easy to get at and see when I took the top off the filter canister.Saw something on the "cross hair" turned out to be a dead mosquitoe.Removed that with a piece of paper and lo and behold the motorhome ran like new and smoothly. Had no problem and put 67,000 miles on that unit.
The darn flies. how it got in there I have no idea ....that's my weird experience.
My mechanic said the sensor was telling one side of the v 10 it needed more air or fuel as the fly blocked off 1/3 of the fine sensor wire.
If it's not that keep it in mind for the future.
Good luck......Dave

Old 11-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep in mind the mass air flow sensor fujii103 speaks of can be easily damaged by most types of cleaning solvents.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:35 PM   #18

Blugrastrail did you find the prob ?????? did a mouse chew a wire or what ?????
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #19

Thie is a description of the TSB for the air intake. The parts are available from ford, part numbers are listed on the page.
looking to find out information regarding Ford Technical Service - JustAnswer
Try another fuel filter.
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to go out and bring in several ford coaches with bad converters.
ford uses a ceramic converter and they will at times crack and stop up. To find out if this is the problem, take the bolts out of the exhaust pipe just in front of the converter. wedge the pipe open. Install a large bolt in the flange so that it can not go back together.Test drive. you can also do this to drive to repair station.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Final Update. Hopefully!

Okay. Went out today and pulled the air filter box apart. I disconnected the top breather hose and removed the top portion of the box. I reached inside to find the MAF sensor. I found more moisture still hanging out in the top of the breather box. I unplugged the MAF sensor connector pin and removed the MAF sensor. Voila! A thin coating of mold on the interior bolts, sensor housing and finally the sensor wires themselves. I thoroughly cleaned the water out, then sprayed sensor cleaner on the sensor. After everything was dry, I reinstalled the sensor, plugged it back in, re-inserted the rubber boot, reconnected the breather hose then clamped the breather box back together. Turned the ignition key and it fired up immediately! Smooth steady idle with no surging or skipping. Now for the road test. Took it out on the highway and had full power. Pulled right up to highway speeds and kept it up with no skipping or surging. Shifting was smooth with no hesitation even after hitting overdrive. I can't believe all that trouble came from that little, teeny piece of wire! I hope that's got it and I sincerely appreciate all the help from all my forum friends.
Mike
Old 11-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlugrasTrail View Post
...... I can't believe all that trouble came from that little, teeny piece of wire! I hope that's got it and I sincerely appreciate all the help from all my forum friends.
Mike
That little wire is what tells the computor how much air the engine is pumping. It is Very important!! If you find a good deal on a new one it might pay to extra one stowed away on board.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:07 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for posting the repair. Too many times the fix is not reported. It always helps for others to know what happened, in case it happens to them.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Thanks for posting the repair. Too many times the fix is not reported. It always helps for others to know what happened, in case it happens to them.
I have to agree whole heartily
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #25

Glad the repair worked.Hard to believe the effects of that small wire.....
Old 11-29-2011, 02:04 PM   #26

ford parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garym114 View Post
Thie is a description of the TSB for the air intake. The parts are available from ford, part numbers are listed on the page.
looking to find out information regarding Ford Technical Service - JustAnswer
Try another fuel filter.
i checked with ford and they wanted about $100 for the parts, i went to lowes and bought a 2' section of 2" pvc 2 elbows and a 45 deg elbow for looks and 2each 3" hoseclamps for less than $18 . works great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1012.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	15924   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1013.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	311.2 KB
ID:	15925  

Old 11-30-2011, 07:52 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by boweavel View Post
i checked with ford and they wanted about $100 for the parts, i went to lowes and bought a 2' section of 2" pvc 2 elbows and a 45 deg elbow for looks and 2each 3" hoseclamps for less than $18 . works great
Do you have a water drain valve at the bottom? If not, you have a P trap that will hold water and suck it into the air intake system.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Very creative Boweavel, but it needs to be painted black.

Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10