Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford V10 problems running

I parked my 2000 National SeaView about 5 weeks ago after a trip. Got in it today to get it ready for another one and it took a little longer to turn over than normal. Once it fired up, it began running very rough. If I mashed the accelerator pedal, it shuts off. If I get it running again, it won't run above a very rough idle. Nobody open around here on the weekend. Also, the muffler and exhaust pipe got very hot, almost red. Made me think it was very lean. Anybody have any ideas? Fuel filter?
No check engine light. The genset will fire right up and run strong all the while the chassis engine sputters and spits so I'm guessing it's not a bad fuel issue.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would suggest starting with a fuel pressure test. Post back and let us know the results.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

I have a very similar NRV. how many miles are on vehicle? there is an inline fuel filter down on the frame rail just about under the drivers seat that is recommended to be changed around 35000 miles. this can restrict fuel flow. mine is due to be changed also.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #4

Most likely sounds like fuel filter problems. It won't hurt to change it.
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

Are you sure it was the muffler and not the catalytic converter that almost turned red?

The cat is upstream from the muffler, a clogged catalytic will cause some of the symptoms you describe. If you can get it to a Ford service facility I would have a diagnostic check performed that can perhaps identify the problem.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford V10

Thanks for the replies so far. The coach has 67,000 miles on it. I am second owner. I don't know if it has ever been changed. Although, I found it interesting that the page in the owner's manual about the fuel filter is turned down! The fuel filter is in-line on the driver's side frame rail. And yes it was the cat converter that got extremely hot, my mistake on saying muffler. I may try to get a filter and change it tomorrow (for $18 I can at least try). I f that doesn't work, I will have to get it to a service center next week and postpone the trip.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, be sure to get the tool for changing the filter, only cost a couple of $$ but can't be changed without it. Ask the guy at the parts counter, may be easier than hunting it.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #8

Red hot cat converter is due to the poor running of the engine. The V10 is basically the same as the V8 Ford engines only with added cylinders. They are fired with a coil on plug setup and the Ford coils are notoriously known for malfunctioning primarily due to moisture.
If your "check engine" light is on that may tell you which cylinders are misfiring and then you can check the coils for contamination.
I'm a mechanic and I can tell you that's the first place I would investigate. I have a client that owns limos with the Ford engines and I'm changing those things constantly due to water contamination or intrusion.
Hope this helps!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure if how much things have changed in the last 15 years, but years ago Ford fuel filters did a better job of filtering than the other designs (GM & Chrsyler) did. of course that ment that when they plugged up with gunk they plugged up pretty good.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
UPDATE

I pulled the air filter. It was full of water. The paper wasn't all that wet, but it was pretty moldy. I wiped out any sign of moisture and put the new one in. I tried starting it, but same symptoms. I got underneath and changed the fuel filter. It looked like the original filter as it had the overspray from the undercoating!. I poured the fuel out of the old one and it was full of debris particles. I tried to start it and after several tries, it started. After several minutes of smooth idling, I pulled out onto the road and took it for a 40 mile spin. About 7 miles into the trip, the check engine light came on. About 10 miles into it, the engine started sputtering. I pulled over, revved the engine a few times and it straightened out and started running smooth again. I pulled back out and after several more miles, it started the sputtering again. It did this off and on until we arrived back at destination. Again, I revved the engine a few times and it straightened out and ran fine until I shut it down.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mike,
Sounds like the fuel tank may have contamination. I would suggest checking the codes with a code reader. I would not be surprised if you find codes for a lean fuel mixture.
Normally when you dump the fuel filter you should not find it "full of debris particles"
This is a big concern if it has already plugged up the new FF. Try another FF first and dump the fuel out of the semi-old filter for inspection. If it's full again, time to remove the fuel tank for cleaning.
As for water in the a/f housing, if the MH was recently run in the rain, it could ingest some water. If you have a fresh air intake scoop, make sure it has a large drain underneath the intake snorkel to separate the rain water from the fresh air before it gets to the a/f housing.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Thanks John,
When I say full of debris, I mean I poured the fuel from the filter across a piece of cardboard. The fuel looked discolored, but it looked like the coffee from the bottom of a campfire coffeepot! Full of grounds! Literally hundreds of pieces of black flecks in the fuel. Now also, the Genset runs fine on the same fuel. Would that make a difference?
As far as the air intake, I'm not sure if my unit had some sort of fix attempted in the past or not. I have seen the photos from the links other members have posted. My intake is enclosed in a large black plastic box at the bottom. The box would have to be removed to access the intake tube at the bottom. That "J-Tube" is definitely not installed on my unit.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:17 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Humm, genset runs okay... I suspect the tank contamination is laying on the bottom of the fuel tank. The genset fuel pickup tube begins at about the 1/4 full level of the fuel tank.
It's designed that way so the genset will not allow all the fuel to be run out of the tank so the engine will still start.
Coffee grounds?
Is it possible you have someone playing a dirty trick on you?
Do you have a locking gas cap.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Gen set runs ok on it may only mean that the carb on the genset isn't nearly as picky as the EFI injectors are on the Ford engine.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, v10