RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 03:34 PM   #1

Ford V10 vs Chevy/WorkHorse

While researching it is apparent that anything made ( gasser) after 2012 is prob on a a Ford chassis. I have come across a couple of Fleetwoods with Chevy/workhorse combos - what is the general concensus here? Good combo or stick with Ford?

TXsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsurfer View Post
While researching it is apparent that anything made ( gasser) after 2012 is prob on a a Ford chassis. I have come across a couple of Fleetwoods with Chevy/workhorse combos - what is the general concensus here? Good combo or stick with Ford?
Parts could be a problem in the future.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Definitely consider the Workhorse chassis. We had a 2008 that we just traded last year; fine coach. There is a reason they were priced at a premium to the Ford chassis. The engine/transmission combo allowed the engine to run at lower rpms than the Ford resulting in reduced noise and strain. I would not be concerned about parts for them for a number of years; there are many on the roads going strong.

I'd focus more on the 'house' manufacturer and the quality of the other components.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

From my situation had I had the option I would have gone with the Chevy as my older chrvy got better mileage that my new Ford, and I had a local Chevy dealer who would work on it. Not so with my 2016 Ford.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:13 PM   #5

Just make sure it's a W series Workhorse chassis. Engine is GM 8.1L, transmission Allison, can't get any better that that. Chassis is solid and parts are available. I'm not knocking the Ford chassis but when I was looking I wanted a Workhorse and I'm glad I found one.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #6

I have had only chevys with one exception until now. That F-53 chassis / V-10 combination in our 99 Newmar is pretty impressive to me. There must be a reason most of the bigger gas rigs today are using the V-10 and not the chevy.(at least it appears that way to me) I do miss the Allison though, or at least it would be better if the Ford tranny had more than four speeds. I keep meaning to see how much it would cost to upgrade to a more up to date tranny in case the one in her now gives up.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I have had only chevys with one exception until now. That F-53 chassis / V-10 combination in our 99 Newmar is pretty impressive to me. There must be a reason most of the bigger gas rigs today are using the V-10 and not the chevy.(at least it appears that way to me) I do miss the Allison though, or at least it would be better if the Ford tranny had more than four speeds. I keep meaning to see how much it would cost to upgrade to a more up to date tranny in case the one in her now gives up.
The reason is that the downturn the economy took in 2008 and the new epa regulations put Workhorse out of business. It's too bad, as a Workhorse owner I would buy another if it was still being made.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #8
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Location: Livingston, TX - This is our legal domicile/home base as we are FTers and travel around the country.
[QUOTE=Quincy;3982498]or at least it would be better if the Ford tranny had more than four speeds.[/QUOTE

We have a 2012 Ford chassis with a 5 speed tranny.

In 2016 Ford introduced their 6 speed.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
The reason is that the downturn the economy took in 2008 and the new epa regulations put Workhorse out of business. It's too bad, as a Workhorse owner I would buy another if it was still being made.
I did not know that. Interesting.

My Ford is a 1999 so I am saddled with the 4 speed trans. I am sure six speed, or even five speed trannys were available in 1999. I dont know why Ford made a V-10 which is supposed to be more fuel efficient than the 8 cyl motors(smaller bore and all) and then back it up with a tranny with only 4 speeds. Seems like a self defeating effort.
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Just make sure it's a W series Workhorse chassis. Engine is GM 8.1L, transmission Allison, can't get any better that that. Chassis is solid and parts are available. I'm not knocking the Ford chassis but when I was looking I wanted a Workhorse and I'm glad I found one.
X2.

Mine is the W24 which seems to be the most sought after. I lucked into it, and it only had 6500 miles on the clock at 10 yr old. Its a good solid unit.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:51 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would pick the Workhorse chassis best RV chassis I ever had after many Fords.
Workhorse forum ---
Important WH info ---- OEMY's web site ---- WH PARTS

You may need to drop in year chassis's from 2003 to 2010 is the limit my 2003 is still running great out west through the mountains.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
I did not know that. Interesting.

My Ford is a 1999 so I am saddled with the 4 speed trans. I am sure six speed, or even five speed trannys were available in 1999. I dont know why Ford made a V-10 which is supposed to be more fuel efficient than the 8 cyl motors(smaller bore and all) and then back it up with a tranny with only 4 speeds. Seems like a self defeating effort.
Check out 5 Star Tuning...I have a 2003 V10/4 sp and find that the 5 Star gives it a decent hp increase but mainly calms the transmission down...solid shifts and it holds the gear longer on small inclines...especially nice when running cruise control. Good investment in travel tranquility for 400 bucks!
Tregaskis19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
GM stopped building big block engines for production vehicles. Workhorse didn't have another option for a gas engine with enough torque and HP to move a class A. Using the Ford V10 wasn't really an option so they stopped building the chassis all together.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #14

I bought the 5 Star Tune yesterday directly from 5 Star and it was $499.95. I'm still excited about seeing the difference it will make on my 2017 Jayco Precept (Ford Triton V10 gas engine).

shlewis01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chevy, ford, v10, workhorse