Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 08:41 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford vs Workhorse ?

Looking at 07-08 Fleetwood Southwind 32V. What are the pros and cons of the Workhorse chassis vs the Ford Chassis.
Thanks
Brian

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Both can be good and bad. It all depends on who you talk to and when. If something went wrong when you ask then that one's bad. If nothing went wrong then it's the best one.

My advice is to focus on the floor plan as you will be inside more than driving it. If you HATE the floor plan it will not matter about the chassis.
Go inside EVERY RV you can and imagine actually doing normal things like sleeping, cooking, bathroom and watching TV or whatever. If it has slides have them put in and imagine trying to do things with them in. Again if you hate the floor plan you will not care what the chassis is.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #3

Just as PirateSilly said, however I have owned both. Here's my dislikes with the Ford F53 chassis. I found it to ride harder/harsher than the Workhorse Chassis.
Engines, the Ford is a Higher revving V-10 with 6.8 Liters, the big Chevy is a lower revving V-8 and is 8.1 Liters.
I liked the lower revving engine, when the v10 fan kicks in, conversation is by yelling. Now I will say, the Workhorse chassis was in a Pace Arrow and the v-10 was in a Mirada, so that may have made a difference also.
I pulled a Ford Explorer behind my pace arrow and had no problems, the v-10 strained quite a bit.
Also the Workhorse Chassis should have an Allison transmission attached to the big Chevy, that's another reason.
Be aware that there has been a recall on the workhorse chassis for brake problems, so you would want to make sure that the recall has been performed.
These are just my opinions and experiences, others may vary
Hope this helps
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We have had both and either would be fine, BUT neither will compare to your Revolution!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
Both can be good and bad. It all depends on who you talk to and when. If something went wrong when you ask then that one's bad. If nothing went wrong then it's the best one.

My advice is to focus on the floor plan as you will be inside more than driving it. If you HATE the floor plan it will not matter about the chassis.
Go inside EVERY RV you can and imagine actually doing normal things like sleeping, cooking, bathroom and watching TV or whatever. If it has slides have them put in and imagine trying to do things with them in. Again if you hate the floor plan you will not care what the chassis is.
Excellent advice, PyrateSilly has nailed it I have a Ford F53, not because I was looking for that chassis but because of the floor plan sitting on top of it.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree about the floorplan being paramount.
But, if you can find a floorplan that you like in both Ford and WH - Like I did - I recommend going with the WH for the reasons mentioned by Chaffeekid.

And, while the 8.1L is no longer used in vehicles, it is still available in the equipment and boat market, so parts are available and service can be had at any GM truck center. Plus I will add that many of them came with the Allison 6 speed tranmission, which is good for the MPG.

Best of luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing that nobody ever seems to mention is the doghouse area. In my 2007 Workhorse Bounder the doghouse is almost flush with the floor - it's real easy for my wife to get in and out of the co-pilot's seat while underway. The same Bounder, on a Ford chassis, has a doghouse that makes it hard to get around.

When we get where we're going, I have a small electric fireplace that sits perfectly on the doghouse cover - our friends with the Ford version cannot put a fireplace there because the doghouse gets in the way.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Has anyone picked up the Workhorse chassis since Navistar discontinued production?
If not that would be a huge turn-off to me, regarding future parts availability.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Many good points made. I have had both. Work horse has had many recalls and problems, just search around. Also they are No longer in business.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My coach was available in both. On balance they are same/similar with pros and cons of each. I chose the coach I did because it was in outstanding condition.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Has anyone picked up the Workhorse chassis since Navistar discontinued production?
If not that would be a huge turn-off to me, regarding future parts availability.
So which parts are proprietary Workhorse - probably just the frame rails and cross members. The engine is GM, the transmission is Allison, the rear end is probably Dana or Sterling - almost everything is out-sourced and available pretty much everywhere if you look hard enough. And any truck repair shop that works on Workhorse will know where to get replacement parts. If the frame itself needs to be replaced it's time for anew motorhome!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
The parts are standard chevy pickup items. The brakes are Bosch and relatively easy to cross reference.

The parts arent exclusive to WH... and there is a comprehensive parts reference manual with #s and manufacturers.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #13

I have a workhorse. Love it. I am not worried.

I would be troubled by all of the posts I see about F53 handling issues.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #14

I am a diehard Ford to the grave man, but if I could of had a workhorse chassis in our 13 Newmar, I would of had one. The low torque band of the 8.1 and the allision 6 speed are the only reasons. But it is a mute point. Workhorse, in that configuration is gone. They bailed out everybody else, at all of our expense, they might as well done the same for workhorse! It will haunt use for years to come. Happy tax day. We pay so others can live just like us and not work, communism?

Tags
ford, workhorse