Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
The written rules/laws state no hazmat and that includes propane in containers of more than 10 lbs. Not every cop and judge will agree with someone over the phone giving you permission to "just turn it off and it will be fine" cause that is not what is written out. They can and will give out tickets. Just go around you are not adding that much more time nor miles to a trip.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is completely different from the Baltimore
Harbor Tunnel and the Fort McHenry Tunnel. They are a hundred miles
away from each other. You can go thru the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel if
your propane is turned off at the tank. You can not go thru the Baltimore Harbor
Tunnel or the Fort McHenry Tunnel with any propane tanks.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian313 View Post
I just called the cbbt and they said there is no problems going that route as long as you turn your propane off at the main valve. I don't see how that would make any difference anywhere else. Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong but that wouldn't be the first time. Just ask dw.

The difference is the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is in Virginia and the Ft. McHenry and Harbor tunnels are in Maryland. Totally different set of regulations.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #18

Oooo... Yep I did over look that one part. Im going to call then in the morning and ask if a motorhome can use the tunnel even with propane on board. I know I'm traveling from lancaster to they outer banks nc at the end of may. I would hate to gery there and them say "you can't be here". My curiosity also had the best of me also. I would like to ask them (if they say no) why not.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:01 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I drove truck for quite a few miles in this country and hauled a placard tanker's, NO TUNNELS! Period! Even if your propane bottle is shut off if a accident was to occur and you are involved a 40# propane bottle exploding would collapse the tunnel, Remember in Buffalo about 15-20 years ago that forklift that hit a 100# propane cly. in a warehouse, the explosion completely leveled the entire city block! P.S. I use to haul propane also 9,000 gallons at a time, and ran the propane loading facility at the Refinery where I work now. People take it lightly most of the time, ever have your grill flash up when lighting it and take your eyebrow's off?

Here is for the Chesapeake bay tunnel http://www.cbbt.com/hazmat.html
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I drove truck for quite a few miles in this country and hauled a placard tanker's, NO TUNNELS! Period! Even if your propane bottle is shut off if a accident was to occur and you are involved a 40# propane bottle exploding would collapse the tunnel, Remember in Buffalo about 15-20 years ago that forklift that hit a 100# propane cly. in a warehouse, the explosion completely leveled the entire city block! P.S. I use to haul propane also 9,000 gallons at a time, and ran the propane loading facility at the Refinery where I work now. People take it lightly most of the time, ever have your grill flash up when lighting it and take your eyebrow's off?

Here is for the Chesapeake bay tunnel Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel -- Hazardous materials
Am I reading this right?

RESTRICTED:
Materials in the following hazard classes are allowed passage
across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge -Tunnel with noted restrictions:

2.1 FLAMMABLE GAS - not to exceed 120 gals in 6 gal containers or less except for LPG, which is restricted to two 60 pound cylinders LPG capacity (approx. 141 pounds w.c. each), or any combination of cylinders less than 60 pounds LPG capacity with a total of 120 gals

Mine is 50 Gallons.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #21

I called the fort mchenry tunnel they said if your carrying propane you can't use the tunnel. Here is the number for then 410-537-1374. Even though I'm carrying 80 gallons I'm still under the allowed amount but its in one container which makes it illegal to use the tunnel.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before I got my RV I used to use I695 westbound going around Baltimore to get out of paying the tolls. It's not a bad trip. Now that I have an RV I will continue this policy.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
You can not bring Propane through the I 95 or I 895 tunnels. I don't understand the debate. It is what it is - the law. It is not a personal vendeta that the state of Maryland has against RVers it is what they have decided can go through the tunnels. Just go around I 695, it is only a few extra miles.

The ticket for transporting Hazmat through the tunnels is a "Must Appear".
Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
Before I got my RV I used to use I695 westbound going around Baltimore to get out of paying the tolls. It's not a bad trip. Now that I have an RV I will continue this policy.
That's good enough for me!

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote