Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fort McHenry & Harbor Tunnels in Baltimore... Yes or No?

I looked up some of the old threads in here addressing if we can go through them... Some said yes for the Fort McHenry Tunnel, no for the Harbor Tunnel, some said as long as the propane is turned off, some said neither tunnel no matter what, and some said they've driven through both and didn't know you could get a hefty fine... I'd like to try for an answer myself as I have a trip planned and I will be going through there. Thanks!

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here ya go: Propane Regulations

Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) govern the transport of hazardous materials across our toll facilities. Under these regulations, vehicles carrying bottled propane gas in excess of 10 pounds per container (maximum of 10 containers), bulk gasoline, explosives, significant amounts of radioactive materials, and other hazardous materials are prohibited from using the Fort McHenry Tunnel (I-95) or the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel (I-895). The Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695, the Baltimore Beltway) is a convenient alternative route for crossing Baltimore's Harbor.
Visit the Division of State Documents' website at www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/ to view the actual COMAR regulations: Title 11, Subtitle 7, Chapter 1 (11.07.01).

Here is some more to study on: I-95 Tunnel Restrictions (Baltimore area)

Old 03-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
no u can not do it
Old 03-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you miss the I-695 exit and exit I-95 (Northbound) closer to the tunnel you might end up driving around the Inner Harbor which has some narrow and weight restricted streets. Don't ask how I know this but it was quickest just to continue on and hope to not get caught than try to find a way to U-Turn. The signage was not clear that we could not use the tunnel until after the 695 exit and the GPS did not want to re-route us on RV acceptable routes.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The signage could be better. It just states "No Hazmats Allowed in Tunnel(s)". Since most RVers don't know what a hazmat is with regards to their rig, it can be a shocker. I watched a guy towing a pop-up on south bound I-95 last year continue until the last possible exit before the tunnel. Had he continued to the toll booths, he would have been in a world of trouble.

In short, no propane (and other hazmats) are allowed in any of the Baltimore tunnels. You can use I-695 in either direction around Baltimore.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks guys for claering this up for me. I have to admit I once went through the Fort McHenry Tunnel with my 34 Damon gasser and didn't even realize there was an issue... I guess if I looked guilty behind the wheel, I would have been pulled right over! I now know better to go around or take I 81...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I 81 to I 84 to New England. We want to avoid DC/Balt./Phila./NYC. Did the same last year and it was a pleasant trip.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
I looked up some of the old threads in here addressing if we can go through them... Some said yes for the Fort McHenry Tunnel, no for the Harbor Tunnel, some said as long as the propane is turned off, some said neither tunnel no matter what, and some said they've driven through both and didn't know you could get a hefty fine... I'd like to try for an answer myself as I have a trip planned and I will be going through there. Thanks!
LOL. I blew through there down and back to FL from CT.

It does not state whether it is commercial vehicles only but the sign lead you to believe that it only applies to them.

They purposely leave you in the dark and surprise you with the sign just before you have no where else to go.

[moderator edit]I will take my chances Life is a gamble anyway.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I have driven through them many times and never been question. Maybe ignorance is bliss. I always assume that they are talking about commercial vehicles. Have had police cars pass me many times.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #10

I just called the cbbt and they said there is no problems going that route as long as you turn your propane off at the main valve. I don't see how that would make any difference anywhere else. Maybe I'm thinking about this wrong but that wouldn't be the first time. Just ask dw.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few years back I stopped for the toll gate at the tunnel, paid formy class MH, and then got pulled over by the cops and given a ticket for going through the tunnel with propane. I was a little pissed off at the time and didn't read the ticket until I got home. He had transposed the numbers on my drivers license, misspelled my name and also the city. I never did pay that one and they didn't come after me yet.
bsinmich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #12

Here is the number for the cbbt 757-331-2960. I will try and call the fort McHenry tunnel in the morning and find out what theo will allow.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #13

It is ILLEGAL to go through either of the Baltimore tunnels. If You wish to take the chance,that's your choice. Besides,it is only 5 minutes difference to go 695 east or west in normal traffic. Plus it's toll-free.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #14

What makes it illegal? I called about an hour ago and was told that its fine to use the tunnels as long as you turn off your propane at the tank.