Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #1

Found a nasty surprise last night

My battery disconnect switches were not working so after talking to a few people they suggested changing the solenoids out so yesterday I did that. After the switch they still didn't work, bummer.

Started looking at the switches, I had power at the board for both switches but only power at one switch on the panel. I started following the wiring and what I found made me shake my head.

Apparently the owner before me had a blowout and it was so bad it caught the entire wire harness and yanked wires apart and ripped the entire harness apart.

This is what I found after removing a lot of duct tape and zip ties:

Wires just hanging there

Some of the broken wires

More borken wires and tape over the ends. At least they were smart enough to do that so everything wouldn't short out.

Entire harness was basically free floating except two zip ties holding them up

What pisses me off the most is that I had this coach inspected and they didn't even bother to look under the coach. I also took it back to the same shop to be serviced and lubed and while under the coach I can tell none of the zerk fittings were touched.

This is an easy fix and I'll tackle it tonight when I get home. I plan on just reconnecting all the wires and then using wire loom and self taping screws and metal hangers to get everything all correct.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #2

Glad it is an easy fix. When we were looking we learned alot by bringing a creeper and looking under all the coaches. After seeing the damage a blown tire could do we replaced the ones on the coach we bought right away and got the tire pressure monitors.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
Glad it is an easy fix. When we were looking we learned alot by bringing a creeper and looking under all the coaches. After seeing the damage a blown tire could do we replaced the ones on the coach we bought right away and got the tire pressure monitors.
I hear ya on that, this is the ONLY one we looked at that I didn't crawl under because it was getting dark and I told the wife we'll let the shop crawl under it when it was at their shop for inspection.

Hopefully this fixes my switch issue and I can use the battery disconnect.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #4

Everytime I crawl under our motorhome, I find new/old stuff... Just last weekend I found two heavy gauge ground wires that simply pulled out of the clamps easily.. Geez,,, don't know what they go to, but I'm sure they are important... I fixed that, never hurts to look around,,, (or under)...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Tires look good.....
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #6

Repaired all the wiring and beefed up all the mounts and added extra ones. I then covered all the wire and taped it all up.

Went into the coach and flipped the switches and everything worked!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #7

Yessss! You're good! And lucky....
Old 02-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Zoafan,
Now I know who to contact if I ever have a rewiring issue.Great job and I am glad everything worked out for you.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Travels
Old 02-06-2013, 06:08 AM   #9

Good to hear you put it right. To be fair to the PO, maybe he actually paid someone to do the job. In any case, someone who performs that type of workmanship has no pride (or no brain).
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Good to hear you put it right. To be fair to the PO, maybe he actually paid someone to do the job. In any case, someone who performs that type of workmanship has no pride (or no brain).
My guess what happened is either the tow truck driver or the tire shop just bundled the wires up. The PO was not someone that worked on the coach.

I'll get under there today and take some pictures of the repairs.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #11

I would go buy a lottery ticket first! Then complete the tour through your unit.
jvanfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Nice Work!!
It was mentioned some time ago how many manufacturers run that wiring bundle right through the wheel well. An easy target in the event of a blowout and it is exposed to the worse the road can throw at it. And obviously not a simple matter to put back together. It wouldn't be any more difficult to originally run it out the back of the compartment, along the frame...

Not the first: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/rr-b...ng-124357.html
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
My guess what happened is either the tow truck driver or the tire shop just bundled the wires up. The PO was not someone that worked on the coach.

I'll get under there today and take some pictures of the repairs.
Very nice job and very fortunate that you are able to do the work. I can't imagine owning these things and not being able to fix most of the stuff yourself.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #14

Glad to hear it was an easy fix for you. My luck would have included wires that were pulled and broken up in some compartmant that I couldnt reach and involved dismanteling half the coach.

When I saw your title I expected a dead animal or mice damage. This past summer we had our own nasty surprise as we had some hamburger that was left in the freezer after a camping trip. In between camping trips (about 2 weeks) the RV sat in 90 heat and when I opened it up it was filled with flies and stunk like a large animal had died inside.
After locating the source and a lot of gaging, cleaning and febreeze the smell was gone.

But your title brought back the memory, glad to hear yours was an easy fix too.