Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 08:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Found a screw in red air line. Temporary repair?

I have a slow leak in the front air tank. After letting the pressure build up, I crawled under and found a screw in one of the red air lines a few inches from the tank. Anyone ever seen anything like this. Is this some sort of temporary repair someone may have made? Any help or insight is appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Who knows how it got there? Or why? Bottom line is you need to replace that red air line! If there is enough line you could cut it at the screw and shorten it up, If not, go buy a coupler and put it in where the screw is, Just cut the line and install the coupler. I would replace the line, if it was me, the plastic line is not expensive. You do not want that line breaking while you are driving down the road! Rail!
Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

If plastic, cut the line and take a sample to Napa and get an air line splice fitting. It just slides on the line then you slide the other end on, fixed in about 30sec. I keep 1/4 and 3/8" fitting on hand.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be VERY careful around the air lines! Lose pressure while under there and it could kill you!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Be VERY careful around the air lines! Lose pressure while under there and it could kill you!

My first thought! Saw it happen one time. The kid under the bus got a broken rib. Could've been the end of him.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:38 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can think of several ways I might temp repair a line, but.. None that Id care to mention.

The cut and splice (Blow the pressure release first to zero pressure in the line) method described above is the only one i would recommend.

If it appears that screw was factory installed, Contact them as well, even if they do not do anything for you (the splice is about the cost of the postage stamp so do not count on "relief",, they may figure out who screwed you and .. Talk to them.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:29 PM   #7

I'm sure it was a temporary fix as I have done it many times on the side of the road on semi trucks to make it home. A screw in a hole in the air tank or plastic air line is a truckers trick to get home.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #8

All good posts - buy the splice and also buy an extra to keep on hand. If it happens in Copper Harbor UP - like happened to us - you won't have to call a mechanic from an hour away on a Friday like we did. No repair shops in the sticks...
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the information. I have decided to take it to the repair shop and have it serviced. I think I will purchase a coupler to keep for emergencies. Thanks again.

Craig
Old 01-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
RcDukes- Here is a recent article in Motorhome magazine about repairs to an airline. Again be sure all the pressure is off the system before you begin.
Finding and Fixing Leaks in Your Coach’s Air System May Be Easier Than You Think
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Who knows, it's actually a decent repair and works well, it's just not typically a permanent one.

Here's what I'd do though, I'd get the necessary parts to add an air chuck to it. Mount the air hose quick connect somewhere easily accessible, run the line to where the screw is and connect it. Then get a 50' coiled air hose and you can use that to air up tires, blow up toys, all sorts of things. Over the road trucks often have the same type of connection.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, scr