Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
GULFSTREAM37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WATERBURY, CT.
Posts: 310
FRED 5.9 ISB is Bad to the Bone

Just returned from a 2766 mile trip from CT to Memphis to Nashville to Concord NC at the Zmax Dragway and back to CT pulling a 28ft Racecar trailer that weighs 10K and the Coach is 24K

I know My GCVW is 30,000 but At 34K, FRED has No Problem running 75 MPH on the flats and 60 MPH up those big long hills in 4th and with the trailer brake system Set up correctly stops on a dime, and give you 9 cents Change.

Engine temps transmission temps exhaust gas temps all monitored with My Banks IQ set on economy mode Never went over 201 Degree coolant 172 Trans, or 1250 EGT.

Having if Floored at 2700 RPM for 10 minutes at 60 mph Pulling this Crazy Long Mountain on Rt 40 in TN passing all the Tractor Trailers Was the Most impressive.

Knocked down 8.5 MPG Rolling 70 mph Average.

This Set up is Long at 71 feet, and tops 34K, but handles, stops and goes like a champ.

Could not be happier with the Little Cummins that Could the 5.9 ISB.

Ted.
__________________

__________________
2007 GULFSTREAM CRESCENDO 37 MODEL-378 FRED CUMMINS 5.9 300 HP ALLISON 2000MH 5 SPEED BANKS DIESEL TUNER W IQ 2.0 FOR UP TO 85 RWHP AND 203 RWTQ
GULFSTREAM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
fighterpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 344
Unfortunately, earlier versions than yours experienced cracked blocks and exhaust manifolds. Hope yours holds up under the high loads. But do agree, the 5.9 is one of the best small diesels ever built.
__________________

__________________
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Cruzer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Sheboygan, WI
Posts: 4,901
The engine isn't a problem. The ISB is a great unit. The reason your GCWR is limited is due to the Allison transmission. Alison places limits on how much weight they can move/pull and each model that is rated higher costs more money. If you exceed the GCWR your biggest worry would be over-stressing the transmission, not the engine. With that said - Allison does put a fudge factor in and rates it at continuous usage to be on the safe side.
__________________
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
GULFSTREAM37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WATERBURY, CT.
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Unfortunately, earlier versions than yours experienced cracked blocks and exhaust manifolds. Hope yours holds up under the high loads. But do agree, the 5.9 is one of the best small diesels ever built.
Yes 99-2001 Blocks and manifolds were a Problem Fixed a few myself.

There are Superduty aftermarket high flow exhaust manifolds available for those problem childs.

By 06 All of the durability problems seem to have subsided and been solved.

My only concern is injectors they are a problem to this day on these guys but I am running Powerservice Cetane booster with slick diesel at almost every fill up for insurance, more power and better fuel economy Yes It works.

The trans is awesome No heat building then no slippage happening.

Everything seems to have a 50% safety margin when ratings are set by manufacturers.

Ted.
__________________
2007 GULFSTREAM CRESCENDO 37 MODEL-378 FRED CUMMINS 5.9 300 HP ALLISON 2000MH 5 SPEED BANKS DIESEL TUNER W IQ 2.0 FOR UP TO 85 RWHP AND 203 RWTQ
GULFSTREAM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:20 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
zeeyaarv's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 181
Ted,
Your right. The 5.9 is the little engine that Could! Though my rig is a 2008, the ISB was--according to Cummins--the last one built in Dec 2006 at CNS - CONSOLIDATED DIESEL CO, Whitakers, NC before they began the 6.7 production. I was a little concerned about the small block so I called Cummins (always remarkable support). I asked reps opinion on the 5.9 vs the 6.7 and he said something that made pretty good sense. He said that on the long production run of the 5.9, Cummins had worked out all the production/design bugs and the last 5.9's were state of the art.
Our Coach GVWR is 27910 and GCWR is 33,000 and we travel around 28500 slick. Our toad is a Wrangler at 3800 so right around the GCWR. After researching the Banks we had the system installed, Power Pack with IQ about two years ago. To verify Banks claims, Motorhome had a test performed on a DP 5.9 --March 2012 issue. There is an actual 44% HP increase at the rear wheels and of more importance to me, an increase of 48.5% of torque at the rear wheels at 1800 rpm's. The change was remarkable. I could notably feel the change in acceleration even in the lower settings. Part of the success of upgrade is the 5.9 meshing with the Allison MH 3000. The Allison is a remarkable piece of machinery probably smarter then the person behind the wheel--at least my wheel. I did have a problem. My Turbo went out at 20k about about 10k after Banks was installed. As all failures on. DP, It's hard to qualify what caused it. Was it a built in defect? Was it the short, taxing cycles of RV driving? Or was it the increased load placed on it by the Banks. Of course Banks didn't think it was. Shop didn't think so and Cummins covered the repair under their 5 year drivetrain warranty. So who knows. The Banks is programed to add the HP and torque without putting undo stress on the turbo and Allison. When shifting, the system decreases fuel until after the shift point. The testing by Motorhome explains it all. Bottom line is we are totally happy with our Little ISB 5.9 300 and Allison 3000. We've traveled all over the country with tow and never had a problem with the grades. I'm a EGT watcher and place a lot driving decisions on this vital measurement. The Banks has built in shutoff point at 1300 degrees.
On the flats EGT maintains about 1000 with constant throttle. If you are a Banks user or checking it out, the Motorhome eval
is a really good independent report and backs up Gale Banks claims.
__________________
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
GULFSTREAM37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WATERBURY, CT.
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeyaarv View Post
Ted,
Your right. The 5.9 is the little engine that Could! Though my rig is a 2008, the ISB was--according to Cummins--the last one built in Dec 2006 at CNS - CONSOLIDATED DIESEL CO, Whitakers, NC before they began the 6.7 production. I was a little concerned about the small block so I called Cummins (always remarkable support). I asked reps opinion on the 5.9 vs the 6.7 and he said something that made pretty good sense. He said that on the long production run of the 5.9, Cummins had worked out all the production/design bugs and the last 5.9's were state of the art.
Our Coach GVWR is 27910 and GCWR is 33,000 and we travel around 28500 slick. Our toad is a Wrangler at 3800 so right around the GCWR. After researching the Banks we had the system installed, Power Pack with IQ about two years ago. To verify Banks claims, Motorhome had a test performed on a DP 5.9 --March 2012 issue. There is an actual 44% HP increase at the rear wheels and of more importance to me, an increase of 48.5% of torque at the rear wheels at 1800 rpm's. The change was remarkable. I could notably feel the change in acceleration even in the lower settings. Part of the success of upgrade is the 5.9 meshing with the Allison MH 3000. The Allison is a remarkable piece of machinery probably smarter then the person behind the wheel--at least my wheel. I did have a problem. My Turbo went out at 20k about about 10k after Banks was installed. As all failures on. DP, It's hard to qualify what caused it. Was it a built in defect? Was it the short, taxing cycles of RV driving? Or was it the increased load placed on it by the Banks. Of course Banks didn't think it was. Shop didn't think so and Cummins covered the repair under their 5 year drivetrain warranty. So who knows. The Banks is programed to add the HP and torque without putting undo stress on the turbo and Allison. When shifting, the system decreases fuel until after the shift point. The testing by Motorhome explains it all. Bottom line is we are totally happy with our Little ISB 5.9 300 and Allison 3000. We've traveled all over the country with tow and never had a problem with the grades. I'm a EGT watcher and place a lot driving decisions on this vital measurement. The Banks has built in shutoff point at 1300 degrees.
On the flats EGT maintains about 1000 with constant throttle. If you are a Banks user or checking it out, the Motorhome eval
is a really good independent report and backs up Gale Banks claims.
Great Story, What Mode do you run your Power pack IQ.

I have been just running Economy mode and saw no reason to turn it up, this thing pulls like a freight train.

Ted.
__________________
2007 GULFSTREAM CRESCENDO 37 MODEL-378 FRED CUMMINS 5.9 300 HP ALLISON 2000MH 5 SPEED BANKS DIESEL TUNER W IQ 2.0 FOR UP TO 85 RWHP AND 203 RWTQ
GULFSTREAM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
zeeyaarv's Avatar
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post

Great Story, What Mode do you run your Power pack IQ.

I have been just running Economy mode and saw no reason to turn it up, this thing pulls like a freight train.

Ted.
Ted,

With toad, I normally use 2 (Economy) on the flats here on the 95 / Florida corridor depending on truck traffic. I also select the Economy push on the Allison when not in traffic and cruising. The torque is high enough for the shift into 6th a little sooner. If there are hills or driving in traffic I'll stage to 3 or 4 for quicker starts from lights. Heavy grades to 5 for short durations and never go to the 6 level. Never travel w/o toad but if I did, I'd just leave in level 3. Again, the EGT temp is always my first priority. Safe travels. Don
__________________

__________________
zeeyaarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.