Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

FRED Diesel

I am looking to upgrade from a gas to diesel. How are the FRED diesels for power? I been told they have a tendency to overheat and lack power on hills. Thanks for respones. Greg
gabeears is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

We have an 07 Tiffin Allegro Bay FRED that we spend 5-6 months continuous every year in. It is the 300 HP with 5 speed Allison. Most of our trips are not over Rocky mountains, but we do travel extensively over hills of North Georgia and through the Smokies. We have always had enough power, and overheating has never been an issue. Good luck with your search.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

I can't imagine a FRED not having the power... but unless you are set on buying new, you should consider going 2-3 years older and buying a pusher. You'll get air ride, air brakes, and you just don't hear the engine when it's 30+ feet behind you.

Steve
Old 03-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just sold my 98' Newmar with a fred, 220 HP. Great class A. never had any problems with mountains. Kountry Star 34 pulling a Jeep TJ and still averaged 8.5 mpg cross country. I was happy.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I also would go with a DP - the ride will be better and the noise level will also be much better. Not to mention the heat coming thru the dog house.
What ever you decide make sure the co-pilot is happy.

Jroan
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
We also had an Allegro Bay but with the 340 and six-speed. You can still order an Allegro FRED but you do have to specifically order it. We put 40K miles on it and crossed the country three times, drove over the Canadian Rockies as well as the Rockies of the US. Sure you'll slow to about 45 (depending on your tow weight) on a climb. We got a pretty consistent 10 mpg out of ours and never had any engine overheating issue. Yes, you do have heat and noise from the dog house but it was better in all respects from the two Ford V-10 Class A's we owned prior to owning the FRED. We've moved on to a DP because we went full-time. The FRED we traded in was sold in a month. I did manually shift that FRED to keep the RPMs in the "sweet spot" which was 1700 to 1900 and used the cruise control as much as possible.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel