Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-02-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It Tiffin had built an Allegro Bay on a UFO chassis it would have been a great coach.

08 Holiday Rambler Vacationer XL 38PLT
Workhorse R-26 UFO gas pusher,06 Saturn Vue, SMI braking system.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #16
Tiffin Owners Club
What makes forums like irv2 great is we can all express our (unilateral) opinion without worrying about the stress of face-to-face debate. And, of course, everyone is always entitled to their opinion. Personally, I've owned 4 motorhomes (and yes, one was a Foretravel RED) before buying my current Allegro FRED. You should know that I maintain my own vehicles. Although not as quiet as a RED, the FRED is quieter, at speed, than most gassers (see other studies and forums about actual db measurement comparisons of the FRED vs gassers). And, take a look at the 0-60 and 40-60 acceleration speeds. A Class A gasser cannot touch a FRED and most REDs don't come close. The FRED is far simpler (and less expensive) to maintain. No long hydraulic hoses to deteriorate, no long electrical controls, no air system leaks to hassle with, no super heavy chassis to accommodate a heavy diesel hanging aft of the rear axle. GVWR and CCC is as good, or better, with less dry weight. All this equals an easier to maintain, lighter weight vehicle (better fuel mileage - I get 10.5 w/o a tow)and, all with about the same useable space/length. For a DIY or a person that wants the power advantage of diesel along with better weight balance and safety - - particularly with shorter (and more maneuverable) lengths. The trend is for lighter weight, shorter, more fuel efficient motorhomes. To be fair, longer motorhomes have their place along with some advantages. For some, large pass throughs are necessary. You can't get that with a FRED since the driveshaft takes up most of that space. But for many of us that want a full size MH for periodic use, a FRED makes the most sense. Mine is a Model 32LA.

rustyj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
Thanks Rusty! Your thoughts are exactly what went thru my mind when I bought my Allegro Bay FRED. I do all my own maintenance & after the manuf. warranty, I am the warranty. I was coming out of an '03 Class C, Ford V10. The learning curve of a diesel pusher with it's air & hydraulic systems intimidated me. I was (and still am) happy that I could get a diesel coach, with all of it's benefits (lower rpm cruising, quietness, exhaust brake, etc.) in a cahssis that I am more familiar & comfortable with. I'm very happy with my FRED
2012 Thor Astoria 36MQ
Butter Toffee on Toasted Almond
'96 Cherokee toad Tim, Dar & our black Lab "Chase"
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
Vintage RV Owners Club

Originally Posted by puttin View Post
In my opinion, the F.R.E.D. is very noisy; vibrates a lot. We test drove a Tiffin 35 QBA two years ago- terrible. Upshifts/downshifts constantly- clatter all the time and could hardly carry on a conversation. We bought the Winnebago on the Ford chassis instead and are very happy.
I'll have to test drive one or two. My old FRED is only noisy because I still have to add vibration silenced pipe hangers to my intercooler piping. When that's done it won't be noisy inside at all.
'91 Journey 35' FRED '93 5.9 230hpCumminsTD, I/C Allison 545; DW & I are USN Vietnam era vets, me, USNret as BT1(SW) also Desert Storm, '80 Suzi GS850L & '74 Jeep CJ6 toads FMCA F326065
Pianodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #19
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The FRED offers a good choice and I think it will continue to increase penetration in the MH market.

Next Generation Diesels for Light duty Trucks from Detroit OEM,s are far superior to last years. The new Ford inhouse engine, The current Durmax and all the new offering in Europe will continue to offer reduced noise, greater power, with increase fuel efficiency needed in the MH market.

The new fuel economy standards VIA Washington is forcing development resources into small gas Direct Injection Gas engines, combined with electric motors.

The question is -will Navistar move into the next generation with a FRED
package that is world class in NVH, power and Fuel efficiency. In the 08-09 models I drove FREDs, 30 to 38 footers,- liked the torque, fuel was a wash with Diesel costing more at the pump. But the noise at my ear and DW (expert) said no way, That ended it.

I will look at the next Gen Diesels in FREDS if BIG MH are allowed.
2009 Safari Simba 34SBD, WH W22 GM 8.1L 6k Sterling tow bar, US Gear Unified Tow brake,98 Blazer 4wd, Remco Prop shaft, Alaska Tested
gg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

2004 Monaco Monarch
Blueox, SMI, 1990 Wrangler YJ
mfire1339 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #21
Workhorse Chassis Owner
NVH = Noise,Vibration,& Harshness. ALL the things you don't want if you want to compete in the World of manufacting today .

2009 Safari Simba 34SBD, WH W22 GM 8.1L 6k Sterling tow bar, US Gear Unified Tow brake,98 Blazer 4wd, Remco Prop shaft, Alaska Tested
gg is offline   Reply With Quote