Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes the thing is just relax, if you are one who drives under/on/over the speed limit just remain calm and look out for the "bevis and buttheads" If you make someone mad they will get over it, enjoy your travels no matter how you prefer to get there, just get there safe and drive within your limitations.

If you get out on the interstate use common sense, if you are blowing everyones doors off you are probably going to fast, if people are coming up behind you and white smoking their tires having to slam on brakes your going to slow.

Keep and just &

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2013, 07:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Is it me or are replys vanishing???
Us slow readers need a little more time... No, honestly, great advice and thanks to all for sharing. Actually I was out to dinner, and not a very good one to boot: Don's Seafood Shack in Baton Rouge. The place is totally over rated. The traffic so far, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, and Baton Rouge SUCKS! And I'm in a SUV on by way to Fort Myers to look at a motor home. Trust me, I'm writing a lot of these ideas down for reference... R4

Old 05-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #17

Rule of thumb is a 4 second cushion between you and the car in front at 60 mph,in a rv give yourself at least 5. This sounds tough to do for some but if your watching traffic closely it's not that hard. Also anytime you touch your brakes you should be glancing at your mirrors, foot to brake eyes to mirrors. Don't stay with traffic if the speed is uncomfortable for you, but don't be a hazard either. Tap your brakes if you see something ahead of you that you know the guy behind you can't, this will give him a heads up that something might be happening and put him at the ready for a sudden stop. Look ahead in traffic, way ahead as far ahead as you can see and watch other people's brake lights. If your keeping a safe cushion between you and the car in front you won't have to be fixated on what he is doing. Know where you are going as much as you possibly can, don't put yourself in big city traffic without having gone over your route. Having a map at the ready opened up and next to you in case of sudden change in route is essential. A GPS will not know there has been an accident and your being routed a different way. And most of all stay relaxed, a calm mind is a sharp mind.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon4 View Post
Us slow readers need a little more time... No, honestly, great advice and thanks to all for sharing. Actually I was out to dinner, and not a very good one to boot: Don's Seafood Shack in Baton Rouge. The place is totally over rated. The traffic so far, El Paso, San Antonio, Houston, and Baton Rouge SUCKS! And I'm in a SUV on by way to Fort Myers to look at a motor home. Trust me, I'm writing a lot of these ideas down for reference... R4

After you pass through Mobile AL (be warned people like to slam on brakes in the tunnel) honk the horn and wave to me as you pass the Spanish Fort/Malbils Hwy 181 Exit 38
Old 05-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #19

Oh and most important, don't rush. Let everyone around you rush if they want, go into the city with the frame of mind that you don't care if your the last one through. You made it, without fear without anger and you did your best to flow with traffic.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #20

After you pass through Mobile AL (be warned people like to slam on brakes in the tunnel) honk the horn and wave to me as you pass the Spanish Fort/Malbils Hwy 181 Exit 38

Wave to me first! I'm @ exit 35, hwy 98 Fairhope. If you can't stop, smile as you go by. Good luck on the coach.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about good 'ol California, where it's a law that you have to travel in the right lane (if you're towing anything) and can only move over if you're in the act of passing.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
How about good 'ol California, where it's a law that you have to travel in the right lane (if you're towing anything) and can only move over if you're in the act of passing.
Best law ever, but should be for everything, the left lane is the passing lane, not the Im going to stay here because Im going the speed limit and nobody should be passing me lane
Old 05-25-2013, 10:58 PM   #23

F239...EXACTLY...I just wish the law would enforce the law here in MO. MO could be 1 of the richest states in the lower 48 if LEO would enforce this law
Old 05-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc3283 View Post
F239...EXACTLY...I just wish the law would enforce the law here in MO. MO could be 1 of the richest states in the lower 48 if LEO would enforce this law

Yes I drive for a living, its everywhere. Far left in any multi-lane should be passing only. I know OOIDA (Owner Operator Independent Driver Asso) was talking about the amount of states that actually have the law but is never enforced
Old 05-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
It is funny but I actually find rush hour to be a lot less intimidating that when traffic is flowing at a faster rate. The reason? Well simply put, most of the traffic is doing 20 or 30 MPH rather than the usual 10 mph over the 55 mph speed limit. In short, we are all slow and I'm not holding up anyone because we are all going a snails pace. My rig is very happy at 30 mph, when you hit 55, things get a little looser, it takes a lot longer to slow down, there is always someone who wants to blow on by and so on. Go with the flow and find your Zen place.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
It is funny but I actually find rush hour to be a lot less intimidating that when traffic is flowing at a faster rate. The reason? Well simply put, most of the traffic is doing 20 or 30 MPH rather than the usual 10 mph over the 55 mph speed limit. In short, we are all slow and I'm not holding up anyone because we are all going a snails pace. My rig is very happy at 30 mph, when you hit 55, things get a little looser, it takes a lot longer to slow down, there is always someone who wants to blow on by and so on. Go with the flow and find your Zen place.
Well said.....that couldn't be more true!!!
Old 05-26-2013, 06:24 AM   #27

When travelling I try to time my city passages during off peak hours. Otherwise just use common sense and enjoy the less hectic pace. Outside of being big and heavy there really is no difference than driving anything else, till the winds start blowing across your bow. Set sail and enjoy.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
i stay off the freeways and drive around the big citys. Seems simple to me because I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere.