Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Freight liner XCR or XCM... Why should I care?

Hi guys,

I've been to the freightliner website and read about the different chassis. One thing they don't tell you is why one is better than then other?

The three coaches I'm interested in have three different chassis; Freightliner XCR, XCM and XCR.

What reason would there be in selecting one chassis over the other from the coach selection standpoint? Or is it just academic?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #2

it's not a 'better or worse' proposition, it's what fits best for each manufacturers preferrences for the coach they are building
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It would be good to learn the differences so you can make a sound choice, but usually folks start at Freightliner vs Spartan.

I just learned I'm on an XCL (thanks to you I looked it up)
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:39 PM   #4

An educated guess.
XCM is XC Modular chassis like REV uses. Freight liner does not supply the rails and REV puts a bridge between the fromt and rear sections.
XCR is XC chassis where Freightliner supplies the rails to customer specification.

If you look there are options also so one XCR is not the same as another XCR just like autos built on the same chassis are not all the same.

My advice is trust the engineers to having meet or exceeded the minimum requirements and focus on how it drives and if there are any know common service problems.

Just like anything engineers have to make compromises sometimes due to physical limits and other times due to cost. So look around and see what coaches have made acceptable choices for you if you have the background to evaluate them, otherwise just look for problem history and how the you like the drive/ride/floor plan/comfort of the coach.
THenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #5

You don't see a lot of conversation on the chassis, maybe because folks don't necessarily know that much about them? But every once in awhile you'll find someone who does.

A chassis ain't sexy I guess, not like engines, transmissions and generators! But have you seen that new refrigerator, now she's a beauty!!!
Old 09-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #6

Thanks TH, you were posting as I was. Thanks for your input!
Old 09-03-2016, 05:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the XCM is a "modular" chassis, as Thenman already described. I have a Freightliner XCM under my American Tradtion, which American Coach (Rev Group) calls a Liberty Chassis once they add their own middle "bridge" section. AC's Liberty makes the XCM into a "raised rail" configuration.

The "rail" chassis come in variations, i.e. Straight rail, Raised Rail, and Lowered Rail. That refers to the relative position of the rails that run from front to rear. A "lowered rail" tries to go under that storage area, "raised" goes above it, and "straight" goes through the middle (like a typical truck chassis). Lowered or Raised is generally better for motorhomes, but it's a more expensive chassis option. Low end coaches may have a straight rail, which reduces the under storage area somewhat.

http://www.fcccrv.com/chassis/xc/fra...onfigurations/
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #8

Thank you Gary,

You set up the information in a way that even I can understand and that's saying something.

"RE: Low end coaches may have a straight rail, which reduces the under storage area somewhat."

Is there a difference in the stability of the coach/chassis using the straight rail, is it less rugged?

The first coach I remember seeing with the rail running through the middle of the basement was the Thor Palazzo. I just looked it up and the Palazzo is on a XCS chassis.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the link! I'm learning too, now I know what my XCL stands for.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote