Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #1

Freightliner Chassis Air Bags

HELP!!! We just bought a 1997 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 2 days ago. Drove it about 75 miles home, parked it, put the leveling jacks down and now we want to take her to a diesel service place near us. Problem is: can't get the air suspension bags to pump up ( 115 psi on gage), aparently the Bigfoot leveling system will not retract the jacks unless the air bags are inflated. We are stumped and any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Sincere Thanks
David n Sheryl
David n Sher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David n Sher View Post
HELP!!! We just bought a 1997 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager 2 days ago. Drove it about 75 miles home, parked it, put the leveling jacks down and now we want to take her to a diesel service place near us. Problem is: can't get the air suspension bags to pump up ( 115 psi on gage), aparently the Bigfoot leveling system will not retract the jacks unless the air bags are inflated. We are stumped and any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Sincere Thanks
David n Sheryl
You may want to try to cut off Level and wait for air bags to air up if level is on it may not allow air bags to air up,that happened to me
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #3

This may be a long shot, but release the parking brake and see if the air bags air up.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #4

Bags do not inflate with levelers off. Tried with park brake on/off, no diff. I have been looking for an auxilliary valve to fill with my compressor to no avail (whatever an avail is, :=) Any other guesses??
Old 08-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard of air bags interlocked with the jacks before, but anything is possible in the world of RVs. However, I'm thinking you have a control circuit problems that is affecting both systems.

You might want to contact Bigfoot (or Gulfstream) and ask what might prevent the jacks from coming up.

And probably contact Freightliner about the air bags (it's likely a F-liner chassis). I would guess that the air dump valve is stuck open so the bags cannot fill.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

Not trying to be rude, but do you have the air dump valve open? Mine on my 2004 Gulfstream crescendo is next to the jacks control. If it is in the dump position, they will never fill.
04Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
When I level, my air bags dump. When I store the jacks, the bags inflate.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #8

Had the same problem turned out the air lines to the bags were full of crud. The pervious owner never drained the air tanks.
Chief9-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I don't drain my tanks either. Is that required regular maintenance? I don't recall reading about it in the owners manual.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #10

Good morning, thanks for your replies. I did contact Bigfoot (BF), F-liner (FL) and Gulfstream (GS), all very nice, however, the FL fella had never heard of BF (he did look them up on his pooter), since FL does not do levelers he was nice enough to at least make some educated guesses. The BF dude suggested the stand-alone breaker had opened, it is in fact closed. The GS guy suggested that the jacks might not work if the fluid is low and that I would find a reservoir (rsvr)in a compartment or behind the front grill ( we have had other coaches and a rsvr is what I am used to finding) after a lot of time under the coach attempting to follow the fluid lines to said rsvr, I determined that each jack has it's own rsvr ( pretty difficult to get at and I vote for a remote rsvr ), well, my mind said fluid should only be required to extend and if I fill with the jacks extended, I would be overfilling by the amount of fluid displaced by the pistons. Did add some fluid just in case, no diff. If the dump valve is stuck open, will the air pressure still build and hold? Since this is our first coach with "air ride" what does the physical dump valve look like and where find? The very limited BF instructions state: "with air ride; build the air back up first, then release the air brakes. Start retracting the levelers (A-all retract). As soon as the levelers clear the ground, re-apply the air brakes. You can continue to retract the levelers while doing so. There is a switch labeled "emergency retract" BF does not mention it at all and pressing it does nothing.
Sorry bout the long rant. Your kind and generous assistance is GREATLY APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU ALL !! Hope this is OK, as I am not too pooter savvy.

Tags
chassis, freightliner